Things that I wear or do that are considered femme by others

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Re: Things that I wear or do that are considered femme by others

Post by timemeddler »

phathack wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:24 am
timemeddler wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:51 am That's what I ended up doing, making my one-piece swimsuit. Another advantage for me is one piece suits don't slip off like in that episode of of Mr Bean.
Not being sufficiently skilled at sewing, I have found a couple of brands of Swimwear that work for me.
One-piece, Tankkinis and Rash Guards from
what's weird is if you look at pictures from around the 1930's the mens suit is practically the same as the modern women's one suit, the only magor difference I see was they were cut a little lower on the hips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

what's weird is if you look at pictures from around the 1930's the mens suit is practically the same as the modern women's one suit, the only magor difference I see was they were cut a little lower on the hips.
It is amazing that things that were once the norm somehow became totally unacceptable for no logical reason.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Modoc wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:21 pm It is amazing that things that were once the norm somehow became totally unacceptable for no logical reason.
I often wonder about this - and I think what happens is women start to adopt men's clothing, and men fearing they will - horror of horrors - look like women - stop wearing them. Perhaps this is too basic an analysis, but it seems time and time again men have lost footholds in what is socially acceptable for them to wear, and a driving factor appears to be women adopting their clothes and them stopping wearing them.

I'm not saying I want to wear a one-piece swimsuit like those pictured (I'm fine with swimming trunks). But the point is that choice isn't available to me. And practically, I'd look silly wearing one, but I'm not talking what I want - but the inherent unfairness of it all.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Coder wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:29 pm
Modoc wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:21 pm It is amazing that things that were once the norm somehow became totally unacceptable for no logical reason.
I often wonder about this - and I think what happens is women start to adopt men's clothing, and men fearing they will - horror of horrors - look like women - stop wearing them. Perhaps this is too basic an analysis, but it seems time and time again men have lost footholds in what is socially acceptable for them to wear, and a driving factor appears to be women adopting their clothes and them stopping wearing them.

I'm not saying I want to wear a one-piece swimsuit like those pictured (I'm fine with swimming trunks). But the point is that choice isn't available to me. And practically, I'd look silly wearing one, but I'm not talking what I want - but the inherent unfairness of it all.
I think there is probably a lot of truth in what you say about the reason why this happens.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Coder wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:29 pm I often wonder about this - and I think what happens is women start to adopt men's clothing, and men fearing they will - horror of horrors - look like women - stop wearing them. Perhaps this is too basic an analysis, but it seems time and time again men have lost footholds in what is socially acceptable for them to wear, and a driving factor appears to be women adopting their clothes and them stopping wearing them.
Since every woman I see is wearing Jeans, and I don't want to look like a woman, I think I will not be wearing jeans anytime soon. :mrgreen:
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Such as bathing without a bathing costume.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Jim wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:05 am
Such as bathing without a bathing costume.
I remember as a child realising how stupid it was that someone had to wear a soggy piece of cloth to go swimming, when anyone who was offended by the sight had only to look away -- whereas everyone had the absolute right to light up a cigarette or drench themselves in volatile toxic chemicals and inflict these poisonous vapours on everyone around them who had no option but to go on breathing them.

In the U.K., two whole generations later, smoking has now been banned in most public places, but perfume has not.  Nude swimming is tolerated in certain places, rather than accepted generally.  We are slow learners.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I actually like encountering perfume on women, unless it is a sickening fragrance - and some are. Male aftershave is just a pollutant and I don't wear it. Male deodorant/anti-perspirant usually smells awful, so I use Mitchum unscented, which for some reason is marketed only to women. I often wear scented anti-perspirant marketed to women if I am having a day at home - no one else smells it but it would attract attention if I wore it in public. If I am presenting as a woman in public (which I had intended to do today but can't be bothered driving to the destination) I wear scent. Even the worst artificial scent is preferable to BO, though. To me (on myself) these scents - like the clothes - are not associated with gender - I just like them. On women, they interact with the woman's own femininity to enhance what is already there rather than provide an attraction in their own right.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

rivegauche wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:27 am Even the worst artificial scent is preferable to BO, though.
It's funny how opinions differ.

I'd say even the worst BO is preferable to artificial scents. Well, maybe not all, but most that people wear give me headaches. Artificial vanilla is OK.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I am quite badly perfume-allergic; more and more places are becoming no-go zones for me, either because of people wearing perfume or after-shave or because the venue has been fitted with perfume sprays or vapourisers.  I recently lodged a formal complaint with a large supermarket chain that has started spraying its customers wih an oil-based chemical perfume -- now two more supermarket chains have started doing it.  Soon I won't be able to buy food at any of the local supermarkets.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

timemeddler wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:58 am
For me trunks are NOT an option. As you all well know, I have too much on my chest ("well endowed") to just wear trunks. So it's a woman's swimsuit for me. I have a tankini where the bottom is "boy shorts" which gives me room for my boy bits.

As my wife used to tease me, "You're one of a kind. You have tits and a dick". :D :D :D

John
Last edited by JohnH on Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

phathack wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:22 am Since every woman I see is wearing Jeans, and I don't want to look like a woman, I think I will not be wearing jeans anytime soon. :mrgreen:
I guess that's the reason why I wear dresses instead of jeans, as jeans might make me look too much like a woman. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously I can count the pushback for my wearing dresses with one finger.

John
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

On this side of the pond, what was once commonly called ‘After Shave’ is universally marketed as ‘Men’s Fragrance’.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I can't stand men's fragrances as it seems they have a sharp note to their scents. I guess they clash against my body.scent as I am on estrogen and have a feminine body scent. As a side note, I still regard myself as a man and NOT a trans-woman.

John
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

JohnH wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:49 pm I can't stand men's fragrances as it seems they have a sharp note to their scents. I guess they clash against my body.scent as I am on estrogen and have a feminine body scent. As a side note, I still regard myself as a man and NOT a trans-woman.

John
I also cannot stand men's fragrances because of the sharp note and the woody smell. After all, would you rather smell like a beautiful flower or a cedar tree? I regard myself as gender a gender non-conforming male who believes that women are the superior biological sex.

Happy Holidays,

Jamie