Hello from London!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
skirtedlondoner

Hello from London!

Post by skirtedlondoner »

Hi everyone! It’s my first post here. Funny to be using the good ‘ol forum format.

Bit about me is that I’m a 32yo straight bloke, happily married, and I wanted to improve my overral level of comfort and break out of the borigness of trousers. Men’s fashion is horribly monotonous, and was even struggling with something as simple as a brown suit for my wedding! (Although, would’ve loved to wear a kilt).

So now, with the loving support of my wife, I ordered a kilt and wore it on few occasions like a drink in the park with friends or to a concert. Funny enough had eyebrows rising from friends rather than from members of the public unknown to me.

Now I'm waiting for the davesbrand skirts to arrive from Span to the UK after it got bounced back due to customs (yay, Brexit!) and recently bought a simple black skirt from the women's section and got the seal of approval from the missus - imagine that.

So yeah, happy to be here and hopefully skirts will finally slip into mainstream men's fashion. It will likely happen when global brands like H&M or Zara start catching up to it and advertise it to men.

Cheers!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from London!

Post by denimini »

Welcome to the Cafe. It is great to hear that you have your wife's support regarding clothing choice and that you purchased a skirt from the women's section with her approval. At present there is not much variety in skirts marketed for men and those that are often suffer from the same things you abhor regarding men's fashion.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Welcome skirtedlondoner, good to see you've got the support of your wife. It makes a big difference. I also started with a kilt but swiftly moved onto something with more colour. I'm a little bit down the road from you in Reading.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Welcome to a fellow Londoner...I'm from the West part (Richmond to be exact) and I too have the full support of MOH.

You will soon find that skirts aimed at men are very overpriced and buying from the other side of the isle is much cheaper. ebay is a great way to experiment with different styles until you find your own.

I see skirts as just another part of my wardrobe, I generally wear what I want when I want. Trousers and shorts are fine, but so boring, so I tend to wear skirts most of the time. Work are fine with my skirt wearing and my colleagues are surprised when I don't, most of the time I have to wear a uniform but have just noticed they have added a skirt to the uniform options so will give that a go...

Enjoy the journey
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

It is getting to be quite a crowd of ye from the 'continent' -- leading the fashion trend? It is also very nice to have some more 'young blood' here, and another SO in support. I, too, am lucky in having my wife's support -- but unfortunately her support does not include taking time to participating in this forum where we have very limited input from women -- so your wife could have an out-sized voice should she choose to join you here!

I second the suggestion for sourcing from the women's aisle rather than anything labeled "men's skirt" unless you have many coins to spare. Thrift shops are another excellent venue to try multiple styles at very little expense.

Looking forward to hearing of your journey.

Pura Vida from Ticolandia (Costa Rica)
skirtedlondoner

Post by skirtedlondoner »

Cheers from the support everyone!
victor1964 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:49 pm Welcome to a fellow Londoner...I'm from the West part (Richmond to be exact) and I too have the full support of MOH.
Admittedly, I work and mentally live in London, I moved out bit more North due to house prices. I'm in Hertfordshire.
victor1964 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:49 pm Work are fine with my skirt wearing and my colleagues are surprised when I don't
I work in the construction industry as a consultant where certain dress code is required, therefore I can't wear a skirt. Not a biggie though, I can wear it most of the time otherwise. Haven't tested it with majority of my friends as 'the lads' will likely take a piss - don't need that! I'm saving myself the stress by simply wearing trousers to be honest. Not a dealbreaker, as I'm happy that noone from the public or friendly shopowners on the high street who know me in passing do not comment!
Faldaguy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:41 am I second the suggestion for sourcing from the women's aisle rather than anything labeled "men's skirt" unless you have many coins to spare. Thrift shops are another excellent venue to try multiple styles at very little expense.
Oh yeah, I did notice. That said, an M&S cotton skirt which I really like was £59 and the davesbrand imported ones are €69 which is more or less the same. I like to buy something a bit more pricey and natural materials rather than super cheap and lots of it, so I wouldn't mind paying even a £100 if there is something super nice that I like.