Hello from Kent UK

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Talaria

Hello from Kent UK

Post by Talaria »

Hello everyone,

I started wearing skirts and dresses at a very young age, around 5yr old although not through choice! My nan used to make skirts and dresses and being the only child at the time it fell with me to 'help nanny' and be a live doll. Although it was made clear they wasn't for me I wanted to stay in them longer than I was needed too. I used to sneak upstairs whenever I could and get skirted. I just loved the feel of the material, the freedom and knowing I was doing something I shouldn't have been but not excessively naughty. I got found out quite a few times and would just see my nan looking through the lower part of the door with a cracking smile! Great times! She did make me return to boy mode though.

That continued until I was around 10ish then it fizzled out till I was about 15. Coming home after school to an empty house for a few hours I found myself wanting the excitement of a skirt again and my mums wardrobe was plentiful. I used to try and get them back in the same spot so as not be found out. Unless I could ask her I doubt I'll know if she knew.

Fast forward a few years and I was back at it again, this time with my wife's (at the time) skirts and dresses although she was smaller than me and most of her stuff didn't fit unfortunately. I don't think she ever knew even with some very slight funny comments from myself about spicing things up at home now and then. I did get to wear her babydoll a few times during bedtime, that was fun!

Fast forward a few years again (early 40's) and I'm now all alone, left to my own thoughts of how fun it would be to 'be myself'. Enter the wonders of online purchasing I've now been wearing skirts virtually every time I'm home, mainly a cotton maxi boho and a 50's style midi A-line. I'm hooked once again.

Have I ventured out skirted? Yes! Only twice now but the first time was so empowering, not something most people do first time I'm sure but I was also slightly intoxicated, got home late at night and spent a few moments wearing my plain navy maxi boho and a plain white hoodie (hood down, man up top, skirt bottom). Next thing I knew I was walking out my flat and around my neighbourhood, a mile or so away from the main town. A few people about and certainly a few looks, I just kept my head up and carried on walking although my heart was pounding!, it was unmistakable I was wearing a skirt with the amount of flow that thing has even at night with the streetlights. No comments that I heard and I made it back home so happy and in disbelief in what I'd just done.

Second time I felt like upping the anti slightly I thought. So once again in darkness but this time no alcohol, I wore my plain white hoodie, a navy midi pleated plaid skirt just below the knee (yes kinda kilt-esk) thick navy tights and plain black flats, ballet type shoes. I made it to my van, drove to a neighbouring town and got a bite to eat via the drive through. I don't think the workers noticed one bit, the van window is level with my legs unlike a car so I could definitely be seen. I was slightly miffed but also happy that I'd did it. Dinner over I had planned to strut my stuff through the very busy town, but nerves got the better of me and I stayed seated in the van for sometime just slightly outside town. A set back for sure but I'm determined to make it one day.

I'm very much interested in just women, I just want to be a guy in a skirt, I want to be comfortable and wear what I want. This is a great place here, such inspiration and I'm sure I'll be out skirted in the future.

Thanks for all your encouragement
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Kent UK

Post by Grok »

Welcome, and good luck! :D
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Hi Talaria a very interesting tale you tell and there will be similarities with other members across the board.

I"m sure that the main reason men do not wear skirts in the western world is just they have not tried it. You experienced it at an early age and instead of being told "it's not for boys" like every other men, you were told to try it on and then told its not for boys!

It is often said that like some kind of illness; once a man experiences cross-dressing he rarely stops.
The truth most likely is, once a man experiences the the clothes available to women he will not want to give them up because they are so nice.

Thanks for the candid post and welcome to the cafe.
Talaria

Post by Talaria »

Thank you both

Yes, it was confusing at a young age to be asked to wear a skirt or dress then be told 5 minutes later I couldn't wear it anymore, or atleast until she made another! I guess I understood but wanted to rebel.

I can rebel now!

If they attach, here's what I was wearing on my first two outings
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Talaria on Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikesaurus

Post by bikesaurus »

Welcome! It's great that you finally feel comfortable rebelling.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Hello from the Kent(ish) part of London - Borough of Bromley. You’re in my wife’s neck of the woods.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hola from way across the pond -- Costa Rica;

It sounds like you have a prime opportunity to confirm your wishes and desires at this time. Your statement: " I just kept my head up and carried on walking although my heart was pounding!" is pretty much the universal clue to transitioning from MIP (Man/men in pants) to MIS (skirt) --just do it with confidence (or bravado if necessary at the start)! Your outfits look fine and won't draw much attention, especially the knee length. A few more trips, home town or away will confirm nobody really gives a hoot what you wear.
Personal tidbit from me; thrift shops are an easy place to find and try a range of skirts on the cheap. I do my shopping in a skirt; but if that is not yet comfortable, you can always pretend your shopping for a girlfriend, gag, party, skit....but frankly, nobody is gonna question it.
Welcome aboard.
Talaria

Post by Talaria »

Thank you all,

I've added to my collection, and I've been out wandering a fairly busy beach during the day wearing a blue & green tartan midi pleated skirt. The world didn't end, no one battered an eye lid and it was a great day out. It was quite windy and the freedom was amazing.

I didn't get any pictures but here's what I was wearing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Talaria

Post by Talaria »

Also some of my new purchases only worn at home so far. I'm in a skirt the moment I get home

Some are new, some are secondhand from Vinted

I have bought a utility kilt too but I'm not too sure on that one at the moment, I do seem to prefer below the knee length
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That's a fine wee collection, Talaria. I'm sure that the people of your home town would like to see you sporting any of them in the High Street. The tartan one looks a bit heavy for a trip to the beach in a warm place like Kent, but it would look good blowing in the breeze!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Talaria wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:06 am Also some of my new purchases only worn at home so far. I'm in a skirt the moment I get home

Some are new, some are secondhand from Vinted

I have bought a utility kilt too but I'm not too sure on that one at the moment, I do seem to prefer below the knee length
I often find a new skirt, makes me flash back to the kind of doubts we often have in our early days of going public; so despite being skirted pretty much all the time, everywhere, I still find that wearing a new to me skirt for a few hours or a day at home allows me to become comfortable with it as part of me-- and then when I wear it out, we are one and comfortable. Some of this is just knowing how the skirt feels, if the color and opted shirt work, what stride it allows, if it 'floats' in a breeze or needs a slip in the sunlight, if it requires an extra bit of attention for modesty -- then it is like an old friend and out you go without further ado!
JamieO'H

Post by JamieO'H »

I really enjoyed reading your intro, mainly because so many of your early experiences chime closely with my own (I reckon we're probably around the same age).

For me it started young too, and like you I craved the excitement that getting skirted provided. I got a real buzz from the moments I snatched wearing my mum's skirts when home alone, or even when I was supposed to be in bed.

I remember going to Butlins aged around 13 with a school mate and his family. His mum had packed a couple of longer length skirts (which I've always preferred), and I was determined to sample them. I got my chance one night when the grown ups went for a meal, leaving us youngsters in the flat watching movies. Eventually, on the pretext of needing the loo, I nipped into the parents' bedroom, grabbed one of the skirts, and dashed to the bathroom. It felt great on after a day in jeans, even if only for 30 seconds or so. Well I forget how many times I ended up needing the loo that evening, but those were the sort of opportunities I lived for.

I'm very much still into the ankle length, maxi skirts today (I approve of your blue one), and I’m fortunate that I get to wear them at home. However, I'm still building up to venturing out in one, and hopefully this group will give me the confidence to do what you did and just do it.
Seb

Post by Seb »

I really like your collection of skirts, they are all right up my taste, I would wear any of them in a heartbeat, well a little reserved on the cargo pockets on the kilt.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Very nice. My favourites are the first one (dark blue check) and the long pleated black one.
Bill

Post by Bill »

All are nice but I am quite partial toward the utility kilt. I have three that I wear on a regular basis and I have not heard a negative comment. The pockets are what make wearing a utility kilt like wearing an old, comfortable pair of jeans. My wife and I are currently on a nine week "snowbird" road trip - I did not pack any pants, just a pair of shorts and three kilts. I now have four kilts - my wife bought me a new utility kilt at a Got Kilt store (The Celtic Geek) in Savannah, Georgia (USA). She liked it because it is a wool tartan called Gray Spirit, created years ago for a large store in Glasgow.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.