Daves - a Spanish company selling good-looking Spanish-made men's skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Daves - a Spanish company selling good-looking Spanish-made men's skirts

Post by familyman34 »

https://davesbrand.com (in Spanish)

https://davesbrand-com.translate.goog/? ... r_pto=wapp (translated into English by Google)

They seem to have some nice, stylish things, and at fairly reasonable prices (but I don't know about their delivery charges either within the EU or beyond.)
Familyman34
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Daves - a Spanish company selling good-looking Spanish-made men's skirts

Post by Modoc »

Fantastic! The Idea of more and more skirts being made specifically for and marketed to men will help many men overcome the stigma associated with wearing "women's clothes." I have pretty much overcome that for myself and am ok with going through the women's racks at both resale and new retail shops to find things that I like and taking them into the dressing rooms to try them on. If the dressing areas are separated by gender, I always use the men's area.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

Excellent addition but not sure about the range. Granted it was a cursory look but half way down the main page they have a male in a skirt with an impressive looking design on the front, and all other collections seem plain. Perhaps it is part of customisation.

Their speil is interesting, how skirts are associated with youth and vitality in some European countries. But at the same time many of us have experienced how it is a turn off for many females in other European and western countries
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

dressedbrewer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:32 pm Their speil is interesting, how skirts are associated with youth and vitality in some European countries.
I think the key word is "speil", it is a sales pitch after all.
Saying that men in skirts are not "babe" magnets would not be a great marketing strategy.
Steve
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Overall I think these are a solid design for men - not a big fan of the split front only because it feels like a copout. They have a custom option - so I presume if you had a really cool fabric you could have them make one in it.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

If they were half that price, I might risk the domestic opposition and buy one. But 60€ plus shipping and possibly import duty OSS not worth it.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Coder wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:11 pm Overall I think these are a solid design for men - not a big fan of the split front only because it feels like a copout.
Interesting, I was attracted to the split down the front be it seems that it would be it much for practical for on a bike. There need to be a split somewhere, and the sides seem less attractive somehow. It's the same price as the Adidas skirt was without discount, I wonder if these are ever on sale. Haven't checked the shipping costs yet.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

They posted some articles on their website:

https://www.heraldo.es/noticias/ocio-y- ... 03271.html

https://www.laopinioncoruna.es/vida-y-e ... 10121.html

https://www.epe.es/es/espana/20220829/f ... a-14352383

https://www.revistagq.com/moda/articulo ... mbre-fotos

All in Spanish, so obviously those of us who speak English have to use a translation website. It's interesting how - a brand around since 2021 - was only just now found by one of our members. Makes me think there are keywords we don't search for because we are an english-language board (not to say that everyone here speaks english natively, fluently, or otherwise). I presume the same would be for people in Spain, as I know there are other forums in the world that focus on MIS but are language-specific.
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:41 pm
dressedbrewer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:32 pm Their speil is interesting, how skirts are associated with youth and vitality in some European countries.
I think the key word is "speil", it is a sales pitch after all.
Saying that men in skirts are not "babe" magnets would not be a great marketing strategy.
Steve
Doh. Good catch.

Absolutely a marketing strategy, but I would think many people would have found Russell Crowe a babe magnet, in a skirt, in gladiator. Twas an offhand comment about how perceptions change is all.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

dressedbrewer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:16 pm Absolutely a marketing strategy, but I would think many people would have found Russell Crowe a babe magnet, in a skirt, in gladiator. Twas an offhand comment about how perceptions change is all.
So... first off we are talking about a "manly celebrity" not any man on the street. I would hazard a guess, if you took a random guy - especially someone unfit - that there would be an opposite reaction to him wearing the gladiator outfit. I also don't think people really see that outfit as being a skirt - I suspect they either think it's a kilt or "a gladiator outfit". Kinda like in Idiocracy when they say "it's what plants crave" - no real science as to *why* plants would prefer Brawndo to water except a catchphrase "because it's got electrolytes". Maybe a weird comparison, but lost of things today make me think of that movie.
Happyskirt

Post by Happyskirt »

Those looks similar to the couple of skirts I have from Banana Republic.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:09 am I would hazard a guess, if you took a random guy - especially someone unfit - that there would be an opposite reaction to him wearing the gladiator outfit.
Beat me to it Coder,
gladiator.jpg
This guy isn't especially unfit, but babe magnet, I will leave that for speculation.
Remember also that Gladiators were prized and lionised for their ability to kill and maim not for being caring and nurturing.
The modern Kilt can be an attractive garment but that is only because of the way it is perceived by society in general and not just women.
This company has the right idea, skirts which are skirts but produced for men.
Commercial success, I would not invest money in such ventures and expect a fortune in return.
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

greenboots wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:14 pm If they were half that price, I might risk the domestic opposition and buy one. But 60€ plus shipping and possibly import duty OSS not worth it.
In the UK, you shouldn't be charged duty unless the total (including postage) is less than £125.
skirtedlondoner

Post by skirtedlondoner »

I am currently waiting for two of their skirts. Got bounced on customs as importing to the UK, so now they've sent it yet again in a different method.
Will let you know when it comes!
skirtedlondoner

Post by skirtedlondoner »

Skirts finally arrived last week. Did not get charged duty for two of those - just €18 for postage.
They wear very well. The green one has a bit thicker cotton and is slighlt more rigid. The blue one is very light and flowy. I enjoy both of them.
Drove to Wales recently and wore them all the time with great comfort.
IMG_2820.jpeg
IMG_2496.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.