New City New York.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

New City New York.

Post by moonshadow »

I recall during my drive through Manhattan, I saw this anomaly of a city name on Google maps... I recall chucking... "heh... someone forgot to name their city in Sim City!".

I'm wondering if the Mayor's name is "Mayor Name Here"... :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: New City New York.

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:19 pmI'm wondering if the Mayor's name is "Mayor Name Here"... :lol:
If that was on a roadside sign, I'm sure you'd have stopped to snap a photo of it! That's priceless.

Almost as priceless as a sign in the UK in Welsh -- in Wales -- which instead of being directions to a loading-dock stated "I'm not in the office now, please send translation requests to ...". I suspect I wet myself on that one for laughing so hard. "Out Of Office Considered Harmful!" -- by example.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I live 7 miles from New City. Its not even a city- its an unincorporated hamlet within a town. Its also the county seat for Rockland County.
bikesaurus

Post by bikesaurus »

In Colorado, we have an area called "No Name". The story goes that when the state sent out a questionnaire to the town asking for information about the town's name, the inhabitants wrote "No Name" because they couldn't agree on one. The state took them for their word, and the area is now officially called "No Name".
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

There are several villages (or perhaps hamlets) in the UK called Unthank. I used to drive regularly through the one in Dumfries and Galloway and wonder if the ancestors there had a reputation for being grumpy 😠
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Try the hamlet of Dull in Perthshire, Scotland.

It’s twinned with Boring, Oregon, USA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dull,_P ... xt=Dull%20(Scottish%20Gaelic%3A%20Dul%2C,Boring%20and%20Dull%20in%202013.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Ray wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:08 pm Try the hamlet of Dull in Perthshire, Scotland.

It’s twinned with Boring, Oregon, USA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dull,_P ... xt=Dull%20(Scottish%20Gaelic%3A%20Dul%2C,Boring%20and%20Dull%20in%202013.
Ye know not what you've unleashed! I've been to Boring, OR and it may have once been aptly named. I'm told there is one in Maryland, too.
But these sad sacks fail to match the likes of Misery Bay, Tombstone, Dismal and Cape Disappointment all in the US; and they in turn are the poor cousins of many a spot in Aussie land: Who can compete with Boing Boing, Eggs and Bacon, Boobs Flat (Which may be '"The End of the World" for some). Their list is crazy long and reputedly includes: Well it wasn't there last year, and Nowhere Else!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I think folks around here may have self-image problems. There's a Normal, Illinois, and a Standard, Illinois nearby.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

There is a place called Newtown in Wales (used to pass through there many a time on holidays) and a much smaller village of the same name in England.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

FranTastic444 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:00 am There is a place called Newtown in Wales (used to pass through there many a time on holidays) and a much smaller village of the same name in England.
Ha, there is a Newtown in New South Wales in Australia.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

FranTastic444 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:00 am There is a place called Newtown in Wales (used to pass through there many a time on holidays) and a much smaller village of the same name in England.
And there is of course the New Town in Edinburgh which is over 200 years old (if my memory is correct)
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Jim wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:58 am I think folks around here may have self-image problems. There's a Normal, Illinois, and a Standard, Illinois nearby.
That wouldn't suit me at all, never 'Normal' or 'Standard' just try to have some fun with people.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

greenboots wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:35 pm And there is of course the New Town in Edinburgh which is over 200 years old (if my memory is correct)
Besides, there are Newtons all over England: Newton Abbot, Newton-le-Willows, Newton Aycliffe...