Tights? What Tights?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Tights? What Tights?

Post by jamodu »

Not so many years ago, I remember a televised Football (Soccer) match where one of the players was clearly wearing Tights under his Shorts - much to the derision of a loud vocal minority on the sidelines.

How times have changed over a relatively short period. Now, many Footballers and Male Athletes are typically attired in ‘Tights’ underneath their shorts. It’s also not uncommon here in the UK to witness Men casually wearing such ‘Tights’ under their shorts when jogging or cycling - of all ages. The traditional Track Suit Bottoms appear to be slowly cast aside. At a distance, without close inspection, it always looks like a Man wearing Tights (albeit with Socks: which spoils the overall look).

They are being openly and widely advertised as ‘Men’s Tights’ - without any apparent social stigma.

However, they’re not really Tights are they? At best they’re ‘Leggings’ - or footless Tights at best - and they don’t have the requisite/integral ‘foot’ that would authentically designate them as genuine Tights. Some brands brandish their logos loudly - while others are quite plain, with no visible brand identification.

So, what’s stopping manufacturers including the added foot material? Men are already calling them ‘Tights’. We should nonetheless welcome this stealthy inroad into accepted gender neutral attire.

For me, though, the causal wearing of such Tights with baggy Shorts and Socks doesn’t look quite right. Compare the photograph from UniQlo - of a guy wearing their Men’s Tights with Shorts - and the contrasting photograph of a young Man wearing proper Tights with a Skirt. I believe that the latter looks much smarter, and without any sense of being ‘feminine’.

Maybe, we will see Shorts being cast aside in favour of Men wearing Skirts for casual use. We can only hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BouffantBelle

Re: Tights? What Tights?

Post by BouffantBelle »

jamodu wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:09 pm I believe that the latter looks much smarter, and without any sense of being ‘feminine’.
For real? Crop that photo at the waist, and I would swear I was looking at a girl. The tights disguise any leg hairs and the sinewy look characteristic to men.

Sorry, just being honest. That's where the brain goes first, and this is what we're up against.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Samaiya Hoang is actually Male (from Hong Kong). The photograph was lifted from his Instagram account (‘saammieh’)…
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Why fret over "tights" vs "leggings" or skirt vs kilt; if the sock is attached to the legging....or even if the person in image number two is male or female?

Two people obviously dressed as they chose for the day and -- wow, they both look like normal human beings! The notion of better, or worse, is nothing more than a personal preference -- which might even change given the activity, settings, or a thousand other factors. If we want men in skirts and dresses to be accepted as a norm, we also need to be open to other deviations from the norm or it becomes just another clique, club -- another rut of conformity imposed by what others think.

I personally have not taken well to trend for body art by tattoo, especially as it is too permanent -- but it is not mine to decide what somebody else wants to do, as long as their choices don't interfere with mine. If we want freedom of choice, that same freedom must be granted to others.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Samaiya Hoang (saammieeh) Instagram account

Post by shadowfax »

jamodu wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:45 pm Samaiya Hoang is actually Male (from Hong Kong). The photograph was lifted from his Instagram account (‘saammieeh’)
He looks great in the skirts and dresses IMHO. :)

I'm not really a fan of the make up that he uses in some of the pictures though.

https://www.instagram.com/saammieeh/
Instagram hyperlinks added as above
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:25 am Why fret over "tights" vs "leggings" or skirt vs kilt; if the sock is attached to the legging....or even if the person in image number two is male or female?

Two people obviously dressed as they chose for the day and -- wow, they both look like normal human beings! The notion of better, or worse, is nothing more than a personal preference -- which might even change given the activity, settings, or a thousand other factors. If we want men in skirts and dresses to be accepted as a norm, we also need to be open to other deviations from the norm or it becomes just another clique, club -- another rut of conformity imposed by what others think.

I personally have not taken well to trend for body art by tattoo, especially as it is too permanent -- but it is not mine to decide what somebody else wants to do, as long as their choices don't interfere with mine. If we want freedom of choice, that same freedom must be granted to others.

My sentiments exactly.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Tights, leggings, pantyhose.
I've tried them all.
I don't like them at all.
To me it defeats the purpose of wearing the skirt in the first place.
Kinda like wearing a skirt over trousers or wearing a skort.
You just defeated the primary benefit by adding a inseam.

If you wanna go for it, I just don't see the point from a reason of comfort.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:20 pm Tights, leggings, pantyhose.
I've tried them all.

I also don't wear tights. I have done in the past for no other reason than I wanted to. I wanted to experience tights so I did. For a while I did wear tights, it was fun. Then I got over them and realised they are not that comfortable and quite constricting. Now I don't bother but if the mood takes me no doubt I will again.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

the only reason I have worn tights is when hiking in the winter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

IMHO, I will gladly wear 'tights' during December to February.
This is done to keep my legs warm. Now, this is by choice,
however approximately 15 years ago, thanks to DVT,
I HAD TO WEAR COMPRESSION P-Hose/TIGHTS.
After a week or so, I finally got the hang of how to properly put
on compression Tights and P-Hose. You'll get an upper body work
out during this learning curve. Also gave me a sense of freedom,
only one garment from the waist to toe, before adding a skirt/dress.

Now I get by with Over-the-Calf compression hose but wish I still
wore the compression P-Hose. ( They did help to hold in my tummy :oops: )
Even though I've lost 45 pounds in about 2 years, I still look like a pear
on two sticks :|

** A trick I've learned - The extra panel added to cover a larger back-side, I wear
it in the front. After 5-10 minutes, it feels like you're not wearing anything.
A second skin, so to speak.

Anyway, that's my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

As I have MS, I regularly wear Support Tights to alleviate peripheral neuropathy in my Legs.

Fortunately, I like wearing Tights with a Skirt - and my Wife likes the look of my Legs when I’m wearing a Skirt with Tights. Wearing Support Tights under Trousers isn’t as comfortable for me.

Unfortunately, on the hottest Summer days my ankles swell (a feature of having MS) which is when I have to wear compression hosiery. Compression Tights are not so comfortable to wear - and are difficult to put on and take off - and are far too hot and restrictive to wear on hot Summer days. For that reason, I have gravitated to wearing Compression Hold-up Stockings when the need arises.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:20 pm Tights, leggings, pantyhose.
I've tried them all.

Each to their own. I was wearing tights before I wore skirts. Skirts allowed me to far better experience the lovely silky feel of the sheer tights. Getting the right size of hosiery sorted the comfort, and as I live in a relatively cool country, they remain practical.

Since then, I have come to appreciate skirts (especially lined skirts) with bare legs, although that’s only when it’s really warm. Nonetheless I prefer wearing skirts with sheer tights. I find the look far more aesthetically pleasing to my eye, and the tights feel great*.

Comparing a skirt over sheer tights to wearing a skirt over trousers is nonsense - although I can absolutely see the point with thick tights or leggings.

(* there is a world of difference between cheap itchy tights and the more expensive European brands I wear, like Wolford, Cecilia de Rafael and Falke)
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Ray, from a fellow West Midlands resident: I completely agree.

I only buy quality single packaged Tights rather than the comparatively poor quality multi-pack Tights.

Good Lycra content equates to better quality Tights - especially sheer Tights.

Shaving Legs is a must to alleviate Tights slipping down - and it’s aesthetically better, too.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I have tried tights under skirts and dresses and generally don't care for them. They are just a little too binding for me. I do like leggings worn by themselves but not under anything other than a shirt long enough for modesty's sake. If it's cold, I would rather wear thigh-high stockings or socks under a skirt, but I am not opposed to just throwing on a pair of pants. Skirts are a great option, but I got by without them for years. I have found some thigh-highs that go all the way up to the tops of my legs, and they are great, but I have yet to find a comfortable way to keep them up for long periods of time without tugging at them always. So that kind of defeats my goal of freedom and comfort, but I'm always open to trying something new.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Modoc wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:55 pm I have found some thigh-highs that go all the way up to the tops of my legs, and they are great, but I have
yet to find a comfortable way to keep them up for long periods of time without tugging at them always.
Back when I first started wearing compression thigh-high hose, I needed a garter belt to keep them up.
These are a few examples to keep thigh-high's in their place. (Pic's are links.)

First:

Second:

Third:

If I had to go back to thigh-highs, personally I'ld choose the 3rd example as it has an
adjustable hook & eye closure at the back. This would help in weight fluctuation.

These are worn at the natural waist(belly-button-navel) otherwise they will slide down.
They need to be a bit tighter than what you'ld think, like wearing a belt.

From my personal expererince, this DOES work in keeping thigh-high's where they belong.

Just my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)