Why don't men wear skirts?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why don't men wear skirts?

Post by Grok »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:42 pm
rode_kater wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:21 pm

Mens skirt fashion is currently bland and demure much like drab male clothes with the addition of a skirt. I think this is a very good ploy to gain confidence in general.
Unfortunately, I think you are right. To gain any traction with the general public, MIS will have to be low key. Those who dress more flamboyantly will be viewed, at best, as eccentrics-people who tolerated because they are regarded as harmless, but not viewed as people to emulate.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:43 pmUnfortunately, I think you are right. To gain any traction with the general public, MIS will have to be low key. Those who dress more flamboyantly will be viewed, at best, as eccentrics-people who tolerated because they are regarded as harmless, but not viewed as people to emulate.
Then let's just give up and go back to male drab in all its mediocrity. Who in their right mind wants to do that?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The mediocrity is likely not for most of the members. Who are likely the boldest of the bold.

I stopped hiking, and generally most vigorous outdoor activities, some years ago when I got arthritis in my knees. So I think there may be progress even if I am not seeing it.

Members have mentioned seeing men wearing hiking skirts/kilts. Looking at the images, these garments tended toward the plain, and the drab. So if anything is gaining traction, it is these.

Not my favorite, but if something is gaining traction I consider that progress. Especially considering the possibility of a reactionary back lash. MIS is more likely to persist if something gains a constituency.

As for members who dress a little more creatively, I can imagine kids being influenced by this. Then they will grow up and start pushing the envelope.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:51 amAs for members who dress a little more creatively, I can imagine kids being influenced by this. Then they will grow up and start pushing the envelope.
We always have high hopes for the children, but children are much more herd animals than adults and crave acceptance by their peers more than adults do. Thus, they are going to be constrained by what is "acceptable" -- and males in skirts just aren't that at the moment. So, there's no hope there. It's up to the adults in the environment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:24 am
Grok wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:51 amAs for members who dress a little more creatively, I can imagine kids being influenced by this. Then they will grow up and start pushing the envelope.
We always have high hopes for the children, but children are much more herd animals than adults and crave acceptance by their peers more than adults do. Thus, they are going to be constrained by what is "acceptable" -- and males in skirts just aren't that at the moment. So, there's no hope there. It's up to the adults in the environment.
I have yet to meet a single youth that I've been impressed with. I'm starting to think all this talk of "progressive kids" is just nonsense. So far, every teenager and early twenty-something I've encountered as been a self entitled moron.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:49 am
I have yet to meet a single youth that I've been impressed with. I'm starting to think all this talk of "progressive kids" is just nonsense. So far, every teenager and early twenty-something I've encountered as been a self entitled moron.
I think this is a great example of the "apple(s) not falling far from the tree". Adults are often inflexible, so I have no reason to be hopeful about the state of this horrible, awful species of primates.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:49 am
Moon I can understand why you say that. At work there are often young high flyers destined for greatness in their own small way. They are selfish, unfeeling little s##ts looking down their freckled noses. I have experienced a young boss who was similarly unfeeling. They are however forgiven, they have not yet experienced any real hardship.
Life is a great leveller. Some float through unscathed, nearly all of us (metaphorically) get punched in the face sooner or later. After a few rounds we are bit more sympathetic to others.
There are kids out there getting a hard time from the beginning. They are in greater numbers, banding together and making themselves heard. The PC world we live in is protecting them more than it ever did.
It isn't happening everywhere but it is happening.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:58 pm
Grok wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:43 pmUnfortunately, I think you are right. To gain any traction with the general public, MIS will have to be low key. Those who dress more flamboyantly will be viewed, at best, as eccentrics-people who tolerated because they are regarded as harmless, but not viewed as people to emulate.
Then let's just give up and go back to male drab in all its mediocrity. Who in their right mind wants to do that?
Certainly not me.
but as I have seen on wildlife programmes, if you want to join a pack you have to keep a low profile. Don't make eye contact and slowly they will accept you. Once accepted you can push the boundaries. If we pile in there in our Sunday best we are liable to get bashed and bruised, never to be seen again.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

dressedbrewer wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:43 pm
Unfortunately it is going to be very difficult to separate clothing from sexuality. Pink, flowery patterns, lace, skirts, dresses, and a whole lot more have beed associated with females and non straight males for a long time, rightly or wrongly. Any man embracing traditionally female clothing and patterns is going to be considered at least somewhat on the non straight scale of sexuality (not that there is anything wrong with that). It took a long time for salmon to be accepted as a male colour!

Not entirely wrong but a possibly a bit heavy handed in opinion? I think it depends on those around you and where you are.
Also it does not have to be a on/off switch. It is with some diehards but times are changing.
dressedbrewer wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:43 pm I'm not sure where the lie is. Most men don't want to be considered feminine, that is not a lie, just fear. Likewise, I think that women don't want to encourage their male partners to dress in traditionally female attire out of fear - fear of what people will think of them and their partner.
Men do not want to be considered feminine. I don't want to be considered feminine. But I do like a nice swishy skirt especially if quality fabric is used.
As you say it is the associated fear. What exactly are people afraid of? What "they" will say? What exactly will they say? And does it matter?
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:41 am
Unfortunately it is going to be very difficult to separate clothing from sexuality. Pink, flowery patterns, lace, skirts, dresses, and a whole lot more have beed associated with females and non straight males for a long time, rightly or wrongly. Any man embracing traditionally female clothing and patterns is going to be considered at least somewhat on the non straight scale of sexuality (not that there is anything wrong with that). It took a long time for salmon to be accepted as a male colour!

Not entirely wrong but a possibly a bit heavy handed in opinion? I think it depends on those around you and where you are.
Also it does not have to be a on/off switch. It is with some diehards but times are changing.
dressedbrewer wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:43 pm I'm not sure where the lie is. Most men don't want to be considered feminine, that is not a lie, just fear. Likewise, I think that women don't want to encourage their male partners to dress in traditionally female attire out of fear - fear of what people will think of them and their partner.
Men do not want to be considered feminine. I don't want to be considered feminine. But I do like a nice swishy skirt especially if quality fabric is used.
As you say it is the associated fear. What exactly are people afraid of? What "they" will say? What exactly will they say? And does it matter?
Yes, probably a little heavy handed, but from a first impression and to outsiders, probably accurate enough. Most people associate clothing with personality traits, most non plain clothing and appearance being an extension of personality and membership of a group ( and I will stick my hand up and admit to that). The death metal look, the emo look, preppy jock look- it is assumed that if you dress like that group you are a willing part of that group. Same for clothing traditionally labelled as non masculine, and most men don't want to be part of a non masculine group.

Fear reprisals and not just verbal. Thankfully very few but there have been cases of hate crimes in Ireland recently that have made the news and nobody wants to be on the end of a beating over clothing. Likelihood is very low but the fear is still there.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I think that the question is is a lot broader than men and skirts. Mature women who want to wear a short skirt are reluctant because they may be thought of as "mutton dressed as lamb" (a term that can not be applied to uncastrated males). If people can stop worrying about what other's think, mainly strangers, then they will feel true liberation and dress as they please. Family and friends usually understand or are in a position to ask a question in an endeavour to understand. The really difficult situation remaining is when a partner of other loved person is disturbed by one's behaviour and one does care what they think.
Waiting for general acceptance is going to take too long and anyway acceptance usually comes after frequent exposure to something ........ so get out there and show off those skirts ........... and cheerful floral patterns too. If you are in a civilised country you won't be abused or harmed.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Denimini if I were draft a reply to Dressedbrewer it would be much along the lines of what you have already written.
I would add; how you feel inside is a factor. If you feel feminine and dress feminine then you will come across as exactly that.
If you are a masculine man with feminine traits and you wear some thing feminine then that is how people will take you. Not in a gay way. 😀

There is nothing to lose except your inhibtiions
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

denimini wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:08 am I think that the question is is a lot broader than men and skirts. Mature women who want to wear a short skirt are reluctant because they may be thought of as "mutton dressed as lamb" (a term that can not be applied to uncastrated males). If people can stop worrying about what other's think, mainly strangers, then they will feel true liberation and dress as they please. Family and friends usually understand or are in a position to ask a question in an endeavour to understand. The really difficult situation remaining is when a partner of other loved person is disturbed by one's behaviour and one does care what they think.
Waiting for general acceptance is going to take too long and anyway acceptance usually comes after frequent exposure to something ........ so get out there and show off those skirts ........... and cheerful floral patterns too. If you are in a civilised country you won't be abused or harmed.
I would generally class Ireland as civilized but there are still attitudes around that would indicate that it is not as civilized as I would hope...

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/lout ... 00567.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... GXA94nkICL

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/05/19/ ... sts-navan/

Yes, these have elements of homophobia, some xenophobia too.we all know that skirt wearing doesn't mean anything related to sexuality, but I would prefer my family not to be exposed to or subjected to verbal abuse because of me. Or, as discussed in a different thread, snide behind the back gossip which permeates through the country. Especially in small town rural Ireland.

Edit
And yes, it is a cowardly cop out given what others have been subjected to in terms of forwarding a cause. If I was single or in a place where I wasn't known I probably would venture out, if I was in a civilized county! But at present it is a private venture for me and that is unfortunately how it will stay
Last edited by dressedbrewer on Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:58 pm
Certainly not me!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:41 am

There is nothing wrong with being considered feminine. It is a big step up from masculine. When I am considered feminine, it is a great compliment.