Double Standards

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Double Standards

Post by Coder »

Ran across an AD this morning on Instagram promoting a major double-standard:

It gave me pause - enough to screenshot the AD.

Not whining - not even complaining at this point because "ah, so is life" but I wanted to "document" it here, figured we could all rehash what we discuss day in and day out :D
TSH
Distinguished Member

Re: Double Standards

Post by TSH »

They should have a reverse ad to this. Single out all the hypocritical c***s that don't see the double standards in any of this.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Guys,
I will start with "Mary Janes". From what I can gather they were originally a gender neutral child's shoe which women commandeered.
Over here, we just called them sandals and the beginning of summer was generally marked by getting a new pair.
They were indeed worn by boys and girls up to the age of 8 or so.
Brogues and Oxfords appear to be interchangeable terms these days so really only one bone of contention.
Personally I treat footwear as I treat all clothes, fair game from any side of the aisle.
Like it, see it, try it and wear it is my motto and the label or source, I don't care.
This is just a marketing ploy, a bit of meaningless junk. The double standard lies with the society that fall for it.
Not worth stressing over.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:48 pm I will start with "Mary Janes". From what I can gather they were originally a gender neutral child's shoe which women commandeered.
Over here, we just called them sandals and the beginning of summer was generally marked by getting a new pair.
They were indeed worn by boys and girls up to the age of 8 or so.
I wonder when women started to wear them - or if they always have? I seem to recall seeing adult men wearing them in a sandal-like fashion, and Duckfeet / Birkenstock sell them as unisex (but I'm guessing 99% of the population abides by the "rules").
STEVIE wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:48 pm This is just a marketing ploy, a bit of meaningless junk. The double standard lies with the society that fall for it.
Not worth stressing over.
If I have time tonight I'll whip out Photoshop and make up a reverse version of this AD, for a lark.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I remember when I was a small child I had shoes that looked like Mary Janes for summer and play wear. I don't remember when I stopped wearing them. Passably when I started Kindergarten. My brother did not like them and would not wear them. He was younger than I.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
brennk

Post by brennk »

Of course it is a double standard. Heels used to be worn by men, but were appropriated. Ballet flats (then called pompes or court shoes) were worn by men and have been appropriated.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:36 pm I remember when I was a small child I had shoes that looked like Mary Janes for summer and play wear. I don't remember when I stopped wearing them.
I wore "T-bar" sandals (i.e. like brown Mary Janes) at primary school (age 9 or so). Before that I think I may even have had a dark blue pair. They were certainly a standard form of footwear for boys and girls in England in the late 1960s and early 1970s. But I did really want open-toed sandals, because that was what the older boys tended to wear.

(I also wanted those slip-on shoes with elastic in the sides and no laces, but my mother thought they were bad for growing feet and wouldn't hear of it!)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:39 pm I wore "T-bar" sandals (i.e. like brown Mary Janes) at primary school (age 9 or so). Before that I think I may even have had a dark blue pair. They were certainly a standard form of footwear for boys and girls in England in the late 1960s and early 1970s. But I did really want open-toed sandals, because that was what the older boys tended to wear.
(I also wanted those slip-on shoes with elastic in the sides and no laces, but my mother thought they were bad for growing feet and wouldn't hear of it!)
Diito MB, except mine were a deep almost burgundy red.
The summer purchase also meant that they were also in proper condition for the Sunday school picnic.
As I recall the rest of the picnic outfit was white, shorts, socks and shirt.
Those were the "days".
Steve.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:55 am As I recall the rest of the picnic outfit was white, shorts, socks and shirt.
I do remember, even at that age, consciously noting the gendered dress code which dictated that, in most circumstances, white socks were for girls, and grey socks were for boys. This became subverted later, as wearing white socks with school uniform instead of the regulation black or dark grey became a subtle rebellion by the anti-establishment boys at secondary school.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:55 am As I recall the rest of the picnic outfit was white, shorts, socks and shirt.
Those were the "days".
Steve.
Yes I remember the same.Thanks for triggering the memories Steve.
Barry
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I also remember wearing T-bar sandals, possibly up to age 10-11.

Mary Jane’s are very old footwear, as testified to by this 500 year old picture http://www.museeprotestant.org/wp-cont ... 02612L.jpg.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Coder wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:17 am Not whining - not even complaining at this point because "ah, so is life" but I wanted to "document" it here, figured we could all rehash what we discuss day in and day out :D
Maybe we men who want more attention paid to our fashion desires could form some sort of group and petition designers, manufacturers, and wholesalers to make them aware that we are a viable market, if we are one that is.
Maybe someone could make a video wearing a skirt while shooting up a pile of pants. :D
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Modoc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:42 pm Maybe we men who want more attention paid to our fashion desires could form some sort of group and petition designers, manufacturers, and wholesalers to make them aware that we are a viable market, if we are one that is.
Sometimes I think that would be a viable strategy. But... it will just be a trend that fades away. And I don't think we are a visible market - though I agree we are bigger market than those of us who post here and discuss these issues. We also have smaller retailers making unisex skirts and mixing things up - ClHu, skirtcraft, and so forth. Supporting those businesses - even if it's just word of mouth - can slowly make waves too.
Modoc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:42 pm Maybe someone could make a video wearing a skirt while shooting up a pile of pants. :D
I get that you are kidding - but a social media challenge - whatever form that takes "skirt month challenge" or whatever could get some more adventurous guys to try them.

At the end of the day, I think it matters more that people like us who want to push boundaries do - the rest can follow, or not - it's up to them.
Layne

Post by Layne »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:36 pm I remember when I was a small child I had shoes that looked like Mary Janes for summer and play wear. I don't remember when I stopped wearing them. Passably when I started Kindergarten. My brother did not like them and would not wear them. He was younger than I.
Similar shoes are commercially available, in both Mary Jane style and t-strap versions. I’ll attempt to post photos of both (I’m terrible at that for some reason). BTW - I wear a size 46 (mens 13j.
Layne

Post by Layne »

Here goes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.