Infection and Aeration

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Infection and Aeration

Post by Stu »

Some years ago, a self-professed naturist told me that nudists, or at least male ones, generally don't suffer with genital thrush. The reason for that is, apparently, that their private parts maintain a good air flow and that creates a naturally dry condition that stops the fungus from developing. I am not a naturist myself, BTW. Nobody ever sees me in the buff.

Some weeks ago, there was an article in the Daily Mail's women's section (Femail) which mentioned how women can help themselves with yeast infections by, among other things, wearing long, loose dresses and skirts and without any underwear. If that's the case, then surely the same would apply to males as many men also suffer with this condition, even though they tend to be overlooked? And if THAT is the case, is this not something we could mention as one of the benefits of men wearing skirts?

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this?
Uncle Al

Re: Infection and Aeration

Post by Uncle Al »

I remember watching a TV show(15 plus years ago) where the Doctor(Female) was stating that it was
best for women to NOT wear panties to bed. Their "area" needs a chance to breathe, and dry out.
One of the other Female 'Commentators' said: "Oh No, I could NEVER do that!"

Anyway, my wife was in the underwear camp for sleeping. I told her about the TV program.
She thought about it for a day or two, then gave it a try. She said if felt strange, sleeping
without underwear, but, after a few days, she said she liked it. Also her UTI's went DOWN.

So, there ARE health benefits from loose fitting clothing. The skin needs to breathe and
evaporate perspiration off all parts of the body.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

This has been my primary motivation for skirts. Before regularly wearing skirts I usually had skin irritation in the groin. Itching much of the time for decades.

After changing to skirts regularly the problem has disappeared. I also like skirts for immediate comfort, an anti-sexism statement, and general looks, but the health issue is first and the reason my wife is accepting.

On women and panties, I remember reading Dr. Robert Bradley's Husband-Coached Childbirth thirty or forty years ago, where there is a chapter where he advocates women wear skirts or dresses and no underwear to avoid urinary track infections. Image
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Stu wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:56 pm…their private parts maintain a good air flow and that creates a naturally dry condition that stops the fungus from developing … wearing long, loose dresses and skirts and without any underwear.
Yes, which is why I started wearing dresses and skirts for walking, hiking, backpacking, etc. I find the air flow is most comfortable. Follow long distance hikers, and you will see lots of men and women in skirts and kilts. The PCT, CDT, AT, and other longer distance trails have many men and women hiking in skirts and kilts. Skirts are not as common as loose running shorts, but everyone agrees that air flow is essential for comfort. Many women also like not having to “bare buns” to pee. Many long distance walkers mention commando to keep things dry.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I totally wish men and women could wear skirts and dresses side by side.
None of this his or hers garbage.

For years I have I have suffered from jock itch.
It would make sense to wear skirts to help with clearing it up.
But I know my wife wouldn't go for it. She would see it as my attempt to skirt up.
Even if a doctor were to advise me to skirt up as part of the treatment. I think she would still be skeptical.

Really I think It makes sense for men and women to both wear loose fitting clothes when it's practical.
Medical documentation pretty much supports that womanly parts need to breathe.

And medically manly parts should be able to hang free.
The boys need propper temperature regulation to produce quality viable sperm.

So to me it only makes sense that both should have access to skirts.

In other news, I got a chance to go on a hike while out camping. I was able to slip into one of my black skater skirts for the hike. If it wasn't for the mosquitoes It would have been a very enjoyable walk. Interestingly I didn't get bit down on the lower half as much the movement of my legs and swish of the skirt seemed to keep them at bay. Head and neck seemed like sustain the most bites.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

I'm just reaching the end of a ten-day walking holiday with my wife in the south-west of England, walking a circuit of the coast path via Land's End and Cape Cornwall. I've been wearing Purple Rain Advenrure Skirts the whole time -- one for walking and another for evenings in the pub or hotel.

Along the way, a few fellow walkers looked me up and down with a welcoming smile as they passed, but only one -- a big American accompanied by his wife -- actually stopped me to enquire what I was wearing. He asked lots of questions, explaining that he found conventional shorts uncomfortably sweaty in critical areas. So I suggested he look up Purple Rain, and shortly he went on his way. I wonder whether he did.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

geron wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:23 pmI'm just reaching the end of a ten-day walking holiday with my wife in the south-west of England, walking a circuit of the coast path via Land's End and Cape Cornwall. I've been wearing Purple Rain Advenrure Skirts the whole time -- one for walking and another for evenings in the pub or hotel.
This is a wonderful normal experience. Thanks for sharing. You chose the best skirt to wear too. Nice to hear you were wearing your skirt on and off trail.
geron wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:23 pm Along the way, a few fellow walkers looked me up and down with a welcoming smile as they passed, but only one -- a big American accompanied by his wife -- actually stopped me to enquire what I was wearing. He asked lots of questions, explaining that he found conventional shorts uncomfortably sweaty in critical areas. So I suggested he look up Purple Rain, and shortly he went on his way. I wonder whether he did.
I too find trail users to be the most accepting and curious. I routinely get a thumbs up or a smile. I also get the occasional inquiry, from both men and women. The quick “nice skirt” is often the only comment. Congratulations on what sounds like an enjoyable skirted walking holiday for you and your wife.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Some men don't realise that women are much more prone to infection in that area. There is the story of the lad who boasted to his mates that his new girlfriend was keen on Japanese motorbikes ...she had told him she had an Ichifani.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Brilliant!!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:34 pm

Really I think It makes sense for men and women to both wear loose fitting clothes when it's practical.

Occurred to me that this sort of thing would be easy to do at home. Wear loose fitting outfits that lets your skin breathe. Maybe caftans, for example.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Grok wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:53 pm
mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:34 pm

Occurred to me that this sort of thing would be easy to do at home. Wear loose fitting outfits that lets your skin breathe. Maybe caftans, for example.
I've never worn a caftan. I guess I will look in them on the internet, possibly order one.
It makes sense, similar to robes and dresses.

I still think I prefer t shirts and skirts. Over anything else.
If I lived alone I would probably wear skirts 100 percent of the time when at home. And skirts depending on the weather, or activity or work being performed.

Running a chainsaw, changing motor oil, etc. Painting, ladder work. I would wear trousers or shorts for.

Mostly because I would feel bad it I got my skirt dirty or torn.

I can get fairly decent airflow with some of the shorts I have.
So most of the hot months I am wearing shortalls or shorts.
Shorts are basically unisex now. I shop both sides of the aisle when looking for additional pairs.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by mishawakaskirt » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:09 pm

Grok wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:53 pm
mishawakaskirt wrote: ↑Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:34 am

I still think I prefer t shirts and skirts. Over anything else.
If I lived alone I would probably wear skirts 100 percent of the time when at home. And skirts depending on the weather, or activity or work being performed.

Running a chainsaw, changing motor oil, etc. Painting, ladder work. I would wear trousers or shorts for.

Mostly because I would feel bad it I got my skirt dirty or torn.
I started much the same way with regard to electing pants rather than skirts for some activities "because I'd feel bad if I my skirt got dirty or torn" but over time it became easier to do most any work in a skirt because by then I had "old" skirts that were no longer attractive due to wear and tear. Since then I've simply bought, mostly old denim skirts for scroungy work activities. Yea, they get dirty and messed up, just like a pair of jeans would -- and you toss in the wash until they no longer hang together -- just like old pants. Thus you can still enjoy skirts and get the work done without any real loss. The charity shops are a great source for cheap, tough old skirts for the dirty jobs.