Hello from Yorkshire

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
shaky

Hello from Yorkshire

Post by shaky »

Hi

I've just (a week ago) started wearing a skirt with the hot weather we're experiencing here and I'm astonished how much more comfortable they are than shorts in the warm weather.

I've struggled to find "men's skirts", so I am currently wearing the plainest women's skirts I can find, although I've seen some good links on this forum already.

I've bought four skirts in different styles and my favourite so far is this one from Amazon (https://amzn.eu/d/5w08aFD). It has pockets, which is a gamechanger from the others.

So much so, that I wore it in my local town centre on a hot afternoon this week. I'm used to being fairly invisible to people and, despite expecting mobs with pitchforks running after me, I only noticed even one glance.

Unfortunately, my wife thinks I'm weird. She's tolerant, even encouraging, of other people doing things that are out of the ordinary, but not me.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Yorkshire

Post by Ozdelights »

Welcome, your story sounds familiar to many here. Enjoy reading and sharing in the discussions.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

shaky wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:12 am I've struggled to find "men's skirts", so I am currently wearing the plainest women's skirts I can find, although I've seen some good links on this forum already.
The general consensus is that 'A'-line denim skirts are the most 'invisible' on a man.  They are often hard-wearing and practical - and some styles have ....pockets!!    [Hooray!!]
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

shaky wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:12 am
Unfortunately, my wife thinks I'm weird. She's tolerant, even encouraging, of other people doing things that are out of the ordinary, but not me.
Welcome! Go slow with the wife. Make sure she realizes she’s still the center of your world. And extol the comfort in wearing a skirt. Never hurts to be uxorious when wearing a skirt also.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Hello from another man in a skirt in Yorkshire.

Pleased to hear you also concur that skirts are better than shorts in hot weather. I find skirts better than trousers and throughout the year regardless of weather but certainly in warm times.

Enjoy your new freedom and discussions on this forum. Many on here have wives, partners like yours, some unfortunately have even less tolerant partners. My wife is fully supportive, like a few others on this forum.

Style of skirt is purely down to one's choice but if someone is to question it, be it as manly style as you can, comment they will. Very rare I have a direct challenge and that is only via my volunteer role - only twice, the situation is different to just passing through. Some just look and get on many have no reaction. Private thoughts will be there but we are all like that. At the end of the day, just be you, enjoy being you because everyone else does. So long as no harm to others it is not an issue.

Good luck.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

shaky wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:12 amI've just (a week ago) started wearing a skirt with the hot weather we're experiencing here and I'm astonished how much more comfortable they are than shorts in the warm weather. I've struggled to find "men's skirts", so I am currently wearing the plainest women's skirts I can find, although I've seen some good links on this forum already.
Congratulations. Agree - pockets are essential. Also, for multi use, hot or cold weather, recommend quick dry fabrics rather than cotton denim.

I wear the Purple Rain Adventure Dress or Skirt, https://www.purplerainskirts.com/ .

I’ve found the PR dress to be even better. You do not require a belt, and the dress won’t slip down with items in your 4-pockets as you move around. Look at this image I posted wearing the dress under “Compliments” thread. download/file.php?id=15170&mode=view
bikesaurus wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 pmTo me, I can barely tell you're wearing a dress under the collared shirt. At a distance, it almost just looks like blue shorts. Either way, both configurations look comfortable for a hike.
Consider how you wear your skirt, or in my case, my PR dresses. I wear my dress with a long-sleeved or short-sleeved, button-front, collared shirt. Few people even notice that I have a “skirt” on. You get the hot-weather comfort and a style wearable most anywhere.

The Purple Rain dresses and skirts are truly unisex, and many men wear them, including many other members of this forum. Search the forum for Purple Rain. You will also find lots of skirt-wearing men on FB groups related to the Pacific Crest Trail, Appalachian Trail, and other trails. Ms. Bland sells many skirts to men during the “trail days” celebrations.

Good luck on your search and finding the right combination for you and your wife.
shaky

Post by shaky »

ScotL wrote:
> [quote=shaky post_id=249716 time=1686906731 user_id=47606]
>
> Unfortunately, my wife thinks I'm weird. She's tolerant, even encouraging,
> of other people doing things that are out of the ordinary, but not me.
> [/quote]
>
> Welcome! Go slow with the wife. Make sure she realizes she’s still the
> center of your world. And extol the comfort in wearing a skirt. Never hurts
> to be uxorious when wearing a skirt also.

Thanks but, on reflection, this is my wife's default position with many things I do so I'm not going to worry unduly.

Perhaps, the interesting thing is that she will wear skirt (usually ankle-length and never shorter than mid-calf) whenever she wants to, whereas I think I'm looking at:
cold weather = trousers
warm weather = shorts
hot weather = skirt

it's always hard to challenge emotional responses with logic.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

shaky wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:12 am

Thanks but, on reflection, this is my wife's default position with many things I do so I'm not going to worry unduly.

it's always hard to challenge emotional responses with logic.
It is very difficult to apply rational thought to an irrational world. So don’t. Just don’t push it verbally but gradually. Make sure you wear when at home and no one could possibly see you. If someone comes, you change because you respect her. That needs to be clear. Eventually she may say “don’t bother changing”. Slow and steady wins the game. Do it with her, and you’ll be happier. Happy wife, happy life
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

ScotL wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:20 pmMake sure you wear when at home and no one could possibly see you. If someone comes, you change because you respect her. That needs to be clear. Eventually she may say “don’t bother changing”. Slow and steady wins the game.
Excellent advice. This is what we are doing, and now I can wear my skirt or dress when we go to pick up items at the store curbside delivery or take a ride around the countryside.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

SkirtedWalker wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:40 pm
ScotL wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:20 pmMake sure you wear when at home and no one could possibly see you. If someone comes, you change because you respect her. That needs to be clear. Eventually she may say “don’t bother changing”. Slow and steady wins the game.
Excellent advice. This is what we are doing, and now I can wear my skirt or dress when we go to pick up items at the store curbside delivery or take a ride around the countryside.
Nice! Push it and she will push back. I should probably amend my statement that people need to advance at their own speed but need encouragement to include so does the SO