Fishing in a Kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
TSH
Distinguished Member

Fishing in a Kilt

Post by TSH »

As this vacation comes to an end, I'm preparing for another one in the next couple of weeks. I'm going fishing with my foster uncle and was wondering if kilts are adequate garments for such an activity. And if so, what kilt should I wear? I only have the one I bought in November. It's a black leather utility kilt — a kilt common on eBay (where I bought mine); I'm sure some of you know what I mean. I'll display an image, but I don't really wanna go through the tedious process of posting it here.

Additionally, I'm curious about what type of footwear I should use. I'm thinking black boots, but I'm not exactly sure which type of boots I want to wear with my kilt. Any suggestions would be nice.

Uncle has no idea (yet) that I have an interest (an understatement to be sure) in skirts and skirt-like garments, but that's a bridge I'll across later — on my own terms.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Fishing in a Kilt

Post by ScotL »

TSH wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:34 pm As this vacation comes to an end, I'm preparing for another one in the next couple of weeks. I'm going fishing with my foster uncle and was wondering if kilts are adequate garments for such an activity. And if so, what kilt should I wear? I only have the one I bought in November. It's a black leather utility kilt — a kilt common on eBay (where I bought mine); I'm sure some of you know what I mean. I'll display an image, but I don't really wanna go through the tedious process of posting it here.

Additionally, I'm curious about what type of footwear I should use. I'm thinking black boots, but I'm not exactly sure which type of boots I want to wear with my kilt. Any suggestions would be nice.

Uncle has no idea (yet) that I have an interest (an understatement to be sure) in skirts and skirt-like garments, but that's a bridge I'll across later — on my own terms.
Depends on what kind of fishing you’ll be doing in my estimation. I haven’t tried yet but I’ve been contemplating fly fishing in a kilt. But then I’m gonna wear felt bottom boots and am thinking something that dries quickly and doesn’t get too heavy. I was thinking the sports kilt hiking kilt. But when I fly fish, I love get in knee deep with the water and feel that connection.

I think if you’re gonna be in a boat, and it could be windy, you’re gonna need a strong kilt pin in case you’re sitting there on a bench. Guess the same goes for sitting on anything at the shore.

I wonder about leather. If you’re like me, you get wet fishing.

Let me know how it goes if you don’t mind
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

TSH,
1) what should you be wearing, if not a kilt?
2) What kind of kilt should best substitute that?
3) You have the answer.

Without knowing, I should say a utility kilt, and probably not leather.

Next thing is the timing.

If you only have one kilt, and you haven't the time for getting another one, you must wear what you have, even if that of leather.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

Thanks for responses:
ScotL wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:46 amDepends on what kind of fishing you’ll be doing in my estimation. I haven’t tried yet but I’ve been contemplating fly fishing in a kilt. But then I’m gonna wear felt bottom boots and am thinking something that dries quickly and doesn’t get too heavy. I was thinking the sports kilt hiking kilt. But when I fly fish, I love get in knee deep with the water and feel that connection.

I think if you’re gonna be in a boat, and it could be windy, you’re gonna need a strong kilt pin in case you’re sitting there on a bench. Guess the same goes for sitting on anything at the shore.

I wonder about leather. If you’re like me, you get wet fishing.

Let me know how it goes if you don’t mind
We're going to a park next week, so it'd probably just be your standard "cast-a-rod-and-wait" affair. I've been browsing through Amazon looking for some nice boots to wear that are water-proof, as well. I haven't gone fishing in quite a long time, and the last time — I think I was mostly just sitting or standing on the sand. Can't remember where I was during that time. I'll be sure to keep kilt pins in mind; I'm still new to kilts, but I've been collecting women's skirts for years.

I'll be sure to detail about this experience after my vacation.
GerdG wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:07 pm TSH,
1) what should you be wearing, if not a kilt?
2) What kind of kilt should best substitute that?
3) You have the answer.

Without knowing, I should say a utility kilt, and probably not leather.

Next thing is the timing.

If you only have one kilt, and you haven't the time for getting another one, you must wear what you have, even if that of leather.
1.) I think I'll wear my more casual attire, since where I'm going won't be anything too extravagant.
2.) A cargo one wouldn't be too bad, if I had one.
3.) I think he'll be alright with my kilt wearing.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

TSH wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:02 am
We're going to a park next week, so it'd probably just be your standard "cast-a-rod-and-wait" affair. I've been browsing through Amazon looking for some nice boots to wear that are water-proof, as well. I haven't gone fishing in quite a long time, and the last time — I think I was mostly just sitting or standing on the sand. Can't remember where I was during that time. I'll be sure to keep kilt pins in mind; I'm still new to kilts, but I've been collecting women's skirts for years.

I'll be sure to detail about this experience after my vacation.
If you’re gonna wade, felt bottom boots are amazing for gripping the bottom and not falling on your keister and getting wet. I Wade through streams fly fishing and the difference between felt and non felt bottomed shoes is dumbfounding.

Have fun. Next time I get to fly fish I hope I garner up the courage to wear a kilt.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

ScotL wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:13 amIf you’re gonna wade, felt bottom boots are amazing for gripping the bottom and not falling on your keister and getting wet. I Wade through streams fly fishing and the difference between felt and non felt bottomed shoes is dumbfounding.

Have fun. Next time I get to fly fish I hope I garner up the courage to wear a kilt.
Well, I wasn't able to go fishing in a kilt, but I still had a fine time, even if we didn't catch anything. Uncle still allowed me to wear my kilt in his house, so I did during the day. Didn't wear any boots because I didn't have time to pack them; just a pair of shoes I wear casually. Got them dirty a little bit, but I stay on land because it was a relatively small pond. Had a great couple of days at my uncle's house, since it was around my B-Day.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I would question the idea of a leather kilt for fishing, thinking about it getting wet. I think I would go for a utility or sport kilt.

Years ago, I had a whitewater rafting company and occasionally when I guided, I wore a standard kilt on nicer days. It was so comfortable, and I always received great comments from the women. This is partially where my screen name came from.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."