Long hair

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
bikesaurus

Re: Long hair

Post by bikesaurus »

I keep thinking about growing out long hair, but I get really annoyed with it and bothered by it once it gets to a certain length. Long enough it's always getting in my face, but not long enough to tie back.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Midas wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:02 pm The closest I have been is lockdown hair. It became annoying after a while and I was glad to get back to a short style.
There were times when I toyed with giving up growing it. At medium length it never looked tidy no matter what I did with it, and the front went through an exasperating stage at which it kept flipping me in the eye. I went through various stages with hair grips and Alice bands, and I was very glad when it finally got long enough to tie it all at the back.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Just thinking that long hair is simply a matter of choice and taste for many folks.
Like skirts and dresses, please yourself!
Then there are the folks who don't, and I guess we are talking about MPB, male pattern baldness.
Thanks testosterone for adding to our trials.
All that needs is a plan, like Baldrick's, cunning.
How about wigs or headscarves like a pirate.
Hell, if you wish to be non-conforming you may as well go the whole way.
Nothing to lose but your normality.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:43 pm Just thinking that long hair is simply a matter of choice and taste for many folks.
Like skirts and dresses, please yourself!
Then there are the folks who don't, and I guess we are talking about MPB, male pattern baldness.
Thanks testosterone for adding to our trials.
All that needs is a plan, like Baldrick's, cunning.
How about wigs or headscarves like a pirate.
Hell, if you wish to be non-conforming you may as well go the whole way.
Nothing to lose but your normality.
Steve.
I tried a wig. It was like wearing a really tight hat and the hair tickled. No thanks. I've rubbed my head with some pine smelling oil from the body shop.
No I quite happy with my bald head. It's low maintenance. If I had hair though, like when I was 22 it would be long and 💾 and I would not be adverse to a few bauballs.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've not cut my hair since late 2021.

I don't fix it, trim it, or mess with it in other ways... I just let it go wild and free.

It sure was nice to get through that "awkward phase". Now it's finally long enough to pull most of it back into a ponytail when it's getting in the way.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pushing through the "Awkward Phase" is always difficult for anyone who has to pass through. That's one of the reasons that longhairs are noted for being staunch partners; they tend to be patient.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Yes, that awkward phase when its hard to keep tidy...

I haven't had a haircut for 5 1/2 years, so it's now most of the way down my back. Its easy to keep tidy and when I'm dealing with clients and have to present in a more professional manner, just tie it up in a bun, otherwise I just plat it and off I go.

And yes it does take more care, washing etc.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

bikesaurus wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:04 pm I keep thinking about growing out long hair, but I get really annoyed with it and bothered by it once it gets to a certain length. Long enough it's always getting in my face, but not long enough to tie back.
A headband is traditional.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

Well I have never really had long hair, but at 65 I still have a full head of not gray hair. So I am growing it out to donate it to wigs for kids. It needs to be 10" long, which it is already but I'm going to give it a couple more months. I have it in a ponytail most of the time. I don't think about my hair length when I am wearing my skirts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Screenshot_20230617_131151_DuckDuckGo~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

e2k2houck wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:16 am I am growing it out to donate it to wigs for kids.
I wouold love to do that, but it's too grey. A friend's kid did it: hard work for a boy of about 11, but he stuck out all the silly comments and grew it to full length.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Pretty much as soon as I my mother stopped taking me to the hairdresser's and telling them how to cut it, I grew my hair longer. It was collar length for many years. I think I was in my mid 20s when I gre it long. I kept it long until 2007/8 when I suddenly decided to experiment with conformity. I cut my hair and even changed my clothing style. Of the people that knew me, half really loved it. I attracted different sorts of people. It was interesting and I enjoyed having done it, but it didn't really add anything to my life, and most of the new people I was hanging with I didn't really like so I stopped going to the hairdresser's again and looked for another way of changing my life. So, in 2009 I went to uni to study dance and ethics. I had a fantastic three years and by the end of it I was publicly embracing skirt wearing rather than just them to parties with friends. What long hair "says" about me I have no idea, I just like it and feel happier with it.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I've had long hair for most of my life. I remember in primary school the "rat's tail" was the cool thing to do. At some point I decided to no longer get my hair cut and it grew longer. At school I was "the guy with the long hair" and it was considered weird then too, but I don't think I was the only one (most school memories ave been repressed/deleted). I just never cut it after that, until just the last few years. As I got older it just got thinner and thinner at the ends and look scraggly so now I keep it somewhat shorter, think Keanu Reeves.

It's not a very feminine style I think, though I do put it in a tail sometimes.