Been to Morocco? What did you wear?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Been to Morocco? What did you wear?

Post by SkirtsDad »

I have a holiday coming up and trying to decide what clothes to pack. It could be a case of buying something appropriate before I go.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Been to Morocco? What did you wear?

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Unless you're staying in a tourist ghetto, I would advise dressing fairly conservatively in any Muslim-majority country, expecting to cover the shoulders and knees. But of course, that might include something loose and long...

https://uk.diamantine.com/collections/m ... oura-thobe
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Be careful in Muslim countries. I heard that they can jail you for crossdressing. They don't understand non-binary or gender nonconforming.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I wouldn't go there in the first place.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

SkirtsDad wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:41 pm I have a holiday coming up and trying to decide what clothes to pack. It could be a case of buying something appropriate before I go.
I have been to morroco a couple of times travelling the length and breadth. There is a lot of wealth and abject poverty. They are very friendly and natural salesmen.

It is a very conservative country and won't understand gender non conforming. My expectation would be that skirt would be greeted with smirks and stares. You may get followed by a group of interested men.
I've seen a outside of a Moroccan prison and it looked very unpleasant. Homosexuality is illegal since 1962. The penalty for homsexulaity could be 3 years' imprisonment to execution and a fine of up to 1200 dirhams.

You could buy a traditional mens kaftan in a medina in any town (a dress) and you will be fine.
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

Very conservative as mentioned and like every country some great folk and some scammers. Bartering is a way if life, especially as a tourist, be prepared to walk away and come back to the deal.
Do your research on tourist traps.
Dress moderately, was a few years back so don't remember exactly but long light trousers, maybe t-shirt. I would look up wearing a kaftan as it might be seen by some as disrespectful if you are not a local.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Ok this how I know. All a bit embarrassing really...
On my second trip to Morrocco by motorbike my friend and I were offered beer. We accepted and were usured into a backroom to drink our beers. I didn’t have a second.

Here's the embarrassing bit:
On my first trip I was in the saddle of the bike for long hours and my bum was getting sore. I decided to get a sheepskin from a medina near Casablanca. I ask a stall if they could help but they could only speak French. He took me to his friend who also only spoke French (this was backwater medina) I said again "Baaaa, sheep" Pinched my arm and said "skin". No smart phone in 2002, I only had a nokia 3210. Again I followed to another 'friend' and was asked again "Baaaa, sheep” Pinched my arm and said "skin". This happened quite a few times and I was getting worried because I had quite a following by now. Finally, I found someone who spoke English. He said kindly to me "which one of these men do you want to sleep with?". NONE! I said in a panic and hurried from the Medina followed by laughing.

They are a friendly bunch and not above a bit of ribbing tourists. I learned to employ a boy to show you around. They dont ask much and they see off the competition leaving you in peace. I'm sure they would love to sell you lovely Kaften and some slippers to go with it. Have a great holiday.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm rummaging round my wardrobes to see what I can find. I may post a pick here depending on what turns up.