Greek Fustanella

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
BouffantBelle

Greek Fustanella

Post by BouffantBelle »

Hi all,

Using the search function, I've seen these mentioned in passing on other threads, but not outright discussed.

Does anyone here own one, of have had any experience with wearing? The one in this link (the only one I could find available for purchase) looks wonderful, but i'm not sure I can justify that kind of price just to own a traditional "man skirt", when a very similar "woman's" skirt does the same job for far less.

https://nevroblazer.com/product/black-fustanella/

Apparently, the many, many pleats are individually-cut strips, painstakingly stitched together. A lot of work, hence the exorbitant price. But I do love the finished product... :P
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Greek Fustanella

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Bouffantbelle.
Right, I will answer your question the Kilt and the Fustanella are not skirts as that term is generally accepted in 2023.
A warning, calling them such in the wrong place at the wrong time could get you badly hurt to the point of death.
You make a relevant question quite stupid because on balances of probability you already knew the answer.
However, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
Steve.
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:00 pm Hi Bouffantbelle.
Right, I will answer your question the Kilt and the Fustanella are not skirts as that term is generally accepted in 2023.
A warning, calling them such in the wrong place at the wrong time could get you badly hurt to the point of death.
You make a relevant question quite stupid because on balances of probability you already knew the answer.
However, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
Steve.
?

Nooo, I don't get it. The tone of your post suggests that you find mine offensive.

Is there something I'm not aware of here? On the forum, we go back and forth over the supposed masculinity and femininity of certain skirts, but the descriptive itself carries no gender connotations.
Does a hovercraft have gender? A Christmas tree? How about a badminton shuttlecock?
A skirt when referring to clothing is a piece of fabric that encircles and hangs from the waist. So technically, all of the garments you stated are skirts. I fail to see what you find offensive about the classification of such.

But thanks for the bump, I was considering refreshing the topic myself.

If anyone else feels like answering my query more helpfully, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, rockets wear skirts, too, and it's hard to imagine anything less phallic than that!

I've flirted with the idea of commissioning a fustanella (and know folks that could put it in motion), but that garment is indelibly tied to the Aegean region (both Greeks and Albanians have them) and is thus potentially prey to the same sort of cultural prejudice that befalls The Kilt. So, thus far, I've stayed away, but the notion is compelling.

What we have to deal with for "gender" and all The Expectations thereof is in fast flux now, and has been since the rad-fems took over the landscape in the late '70s and '80s. What was once a broad tableau of traits has been massively narrowed for men (becoming, in essence, machismo) and massively widened for women to include all the good things that make up healthy men. It's a mess, so I generally don't concern myself with it and live my life as I see fit and proper. I'm regarded as "a bit odd" but "a straight shooter" and "respectable" -- and I'll accept that. There are a few too many tender egos around when it comes to "gender".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:32 pm I've flirted with the idea of commissioning a fustanella (and know folks that could put it in motion), but that garment is indelibly tied to the Aegean region (both Greeks and Albanians have them) and is thus potentially prey to the same sort of cultural prejudice that befalls The Kilt. So, thus far, I've stayed away, but the notion is compelling.
So, you're saying...if I want a fustanella, probably best I learn Greek.

You're the man, Carl! Image
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

BouffantBelle wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:56 pmSo, you're saying...if I want a fustanella, probably best I learn Greek.
No, but it can never hurt to learn another language!

The main thrust is that with any of these garments, there can potentially be "baggage" that can befuddle the newcomer. Note that one need not technically learn Gaelic to wear a kilt. However, the purists will try to pillory you if you get the slightest detail wrong.

Further note: "The 'purists' can be damned."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

BouffantBelle wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:55 pm Is there something I'm not aware of here? On the forum, we go back and forth over the supposed masculinity and femininity of certain skirts, but the descriptive itself carries no gender connotations.
I wouldn't read too much into the whole masculine/feminine debate on this site. I think we each have our own preferences for how we see skirts, clothing and society, and there is no correct answer. I think what matters is how comfortable we feel going out skirted/etc..., and how each debate that pops up helps us reconcile our thoughts and feelings with how we perceive society to be.
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Coder wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:23 pm I wouldn't read too much into the whole masculine/feminine debate on this site. I think we each have our own preferences for how we see skirts, clothing and society, and there is no correct answer. I think what matters is how comfortable we feel going out skirted/etc..., and how each debate that pops up helps us reconcile our thoughts and feelings with how we perceive society to be.
Not just society. Unless you missed the Scarlett O'hara/Gone With The Wind reference in Mr Stevie's post?
So I guess this forum is less MIS and more MOICKOS. (Men Only In Certain Kinds Of Skirts)
Human nature will out, it seems. :roll:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Bouffantbelle
"Speaking just for myself, I have ZERO desire to have my skirts look masculine. All of mine are as feminine looking as they get: prints, patterns, bright colors, long and flowing styles, none of which smacks of masculinity, and that’s good enough for me. Because I wear women’s tops and shoes with sa..."

Steve
"Kilt and "Fustanella" are pronouns and both are accepted terms for an unbifurcated garment for men.
OK try going in in your own neighbourhood in a slinky top, Scots Kilt and High heel pumps just to gauge the reaction.
I really do not give a damn but I have a feeling you may meet many fine fellows who do.

Bouffantbelle
"I've had multiple discussions with her that I'm not in the Gay, trans, questioning box. Nor will I ever be. I live by a strong moral code that tells me that would be going too far."

Steve
You could discuss your "strong moral code" at the same time as trying to save your own ass.
Steve.
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:12 pm Bouffantbelle
"I've had multiple discussions with her that I'm not in the Gay, trans, questioning box. Nor will I ever be. I live by a strong moral code that tells me that would be going too far."

Steve
You could discuss your "strong moral code" at the same time as trying to save your own ass.
Steve.
You have your wires crossed somewhere, my friend. Those aren't my quotes. Go back and look again.
And I'd be interested to know who I'm supposed to be "saving my own ass" from. If the attire you suggested were to provoke violence, it wouldn't be because of disrespect to any kind of heritage. It would be because ignorant people dislike what they see as misfits and freaks. I suspect any kind of skirt would be met with the same reaction in my area.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

BouffantBelle wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:50 pm If the attire you suggested were to provoke violence, it wouldn't be because of disrespect to any kind of heritage. It would be because ignorant people dislike what they see as misfits and freaks. I suspect any kind of skirt would be met with the same reaction in my area.
Ok apologies for the quotes!
You are wrong, however, about the reaction to "any kind of skirt.
We are talking a very special type of skirt whose status as a gendered garment is unequalled on this planet.
Plenty people of learning abhor anything or anyone not fitting their world view, Nazis for example.
In this situation the mere perception of disrespect really could get you in serious trouble.
Just be careful.
Steve
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:37 pm
We are talking a very special type of skirt whose status as a gendered garment is unequalled on this planet.
I think you may be assuming that I intend to present a fully feminine outfit if/when I wear one of these. That isn't the case.
I'm hoping a traditional "man skirt" would actually work better teamed with other "male" garments. Hence my interest in the first place. There are very few "masculine" skirts that I really like the look of. :(
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:12 pm Steve
"Kilt and "Fustanella" are pronouns and both are accepted terms for an unbifurcated garment for men.
OK try going in in your own neighbourhood in a slinky top, Scots Kilt and High heel pumps just to gauge the reaction.
I really do not give a damn but I have a feeling you may meet many fine fellows who do.
They are not pronouns - they are nouns. And their association with men does not change the fact that they are skirts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I will bow to your superior academic and grammatical knowledge Rivegauche .
However, I would not advocate displaying that knowledge to a Greek Soldier or a certain type of Kilt wearer.
In their heads it is most definitely not a "skirt" they wear.
The semantics won't change that, may as well misgender them completely and hope for a quick ending.
Steve.
I never said there was logic in this argument and my feelings the Kilt are well known around here.
I guess my final word has to be, who gives a tinker's cuss anyway?
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

It's kind of weird but until I saw a news story that had some Greek soldiers in fustanella's a while back I didn't know they existed ...I guess tights are essential given how ridiculously short they are ..Of course.. You see images of the ancient Hoplites and the battle dress (emphasis on 'dress' ) they wore .,. Same thing with the Romans at times and other civilizations .. The Fustanella is certainly spectacular ..