Glamour

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Glamour

Post by rode_kater »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:23 am Compared to what women wear today, those undies were positively voluminous. And yeah, I too was more impressed with how Marilyn stood on that grate in those heels she wore.
You'd think that, but I wonder. Was on holiday travelling through Europe (Switzerland & northern Italy) and there were plenty of short skirts and almost see-through dresses around due to the very warm weather. Wearing something like bike shorts, an under-skirt or at least long underwear under them is *very* common. The fact that I could tell should explain why: when going up and down platforms at a train station, or running to catch a bus, the last thing you want is to worry about is where your skirt is going.

The point about seeing less than a bikini demonstrates the point that sometimes they're in presentation mode (in a bikini) and sometimes not.

Related to a question on the r/femalefashionadvice reddit a long time about where a teacher wanted to wear dresses but was worried about the 3 year olds crawling uder her legs and announcing the colour of her underwear. The advice was: wear black bike shorts or equivalent, because while that's technically underwear, the connotation is totally different.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I dont worry if a garment is masculine or feminine. I wear what I want to with concideration to the following:
1. Weather; temperature, wind
2. Venue; I have chosen not to wear mini skirts at funerals, and from previous experience; dental chairs or in submarines.
3. Mood; something plain and practical, something cheerful, pleats or frills.

I have my own style and people get used to it to the point that it becomes a part of who I am.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

denimini wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:40 am
2. Venue; I have chosen not to wear mini skirts at funerals, and from previous experience; dental chairs or in submarines.
Submarines?! Now there’s a story
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

ScotL wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:53 am
denimini wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:40 am
Submarines?! Now there’s a story
Especially in the Outback :D
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

denimini wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:40 am I dont worry if a garment is masculine or feminine. I wear what I want to with concideration to the following:
1. Weather; temperature, wind
3. Mood; something plain and practical, something cheerful, pleats or frills.

I have my own style and people get used to it to the point that it becomes a part of who I am.
Same here, denimini, except that I don't do frills and I have worn a skirt in a submarine! It was at Gothenburg Maritime Museum, and it was my khaki ankle-length linen blend skirt. I suppose that if I'd thought about it a bit more beforehand, I wouldn't have worn it. Not the most practical of items on a ladder! But it was absolutely fine: wide enough to allow the leg movement for climbing; long enough to protect my modesty; and with a bit of a twirl when getting on at the top to descend, easy to keep away from my own feet.

And I have worn a mini to the doctor's, though it probably wasn't as short as one of yours and I was wearing opaque tights.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair