Glamour

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
BouffantBelle

Re: Glamour

Post by BouffantBelle »

rivegauche wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:01 am I realised that I actually wanted this beautiful woman to view me favourably as a MAN, but that wasn't happening - in a way that was a compliment to my acting skills but I want women to find me glamorous in my dress AND be attracted to me, and that ain't happening, and it is probably unrealistic to hope it might.
For sure. I find women that embrace a masculine look and demeanor a complete turn off - no reason not to assume that goes in reverse, too. There are exceptions to every rule, but it's probably a pretty sound rule of thumb. :(
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rivegauche wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:01 am Funnily enough I feel I could dress as a man more comfortably in a coral skirt than in coral trousers. Maybe a man wearing a skirt has a licence to break other 'rules' too.
Funny you say this - I've had the exact same thoughts. I like lots of different patterns/textures (ie, bouclé, plaids, prints, houndstooth, etc...) and in trousers... I just couldn't.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:53 pm
Recall that these styles were quite popularly worn many, many years ago. We've dumbed everything down in the interim.
“Dumbed everything down”? I’m not following. Who’s dumbed what down?
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Hello everyone,
The idea of whether or not a skirt is masculine or feminine is particular to personal taste. I have worn a lot of different styles and lengths for a lot of various reasons. I think men should be as free as women to choose their wardrobes, only concerned about their comfort and the image they portray to themselves. Undoubtedly some men want to avoid the appearance of trying to look feminine, and others are not only open to it but embrace the aesthetic for whatever reason. The only thing wrong with either position is when it's used to form a judgment about men who wish to dress differently from one's preference.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Modoc wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:43 am Undoubtedly some men want to avoid the appearance of trying to look feminine, and others are not only open to it but embrace the aesthetic for whatever reason. The only thing wrong with either position is when it's used to form a judgment about men who wish to dress differently from one's preference.
I have nothing to add to this but thought it should be repeated.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

rivegauche wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:01 am We all come at skirt wearing from different angles. I do the simple man in skirt (more rarely dress) thing but also dress and attempt to behave as a woman - usually in a dress and heels with a wig and make-up (and bust). At no point do I identify as a woman and though I attempt a version of female body language I would regard as elegant rather than feminine, and I do not aspire to any aspect of femininity itself. The objective is to appear elegant. I am often described as elegant, occasionally as glamorous but only on one occasion (by the husband of a woman friend) as pretty. Definitely not going for pretty, and probably too old for it now anyway. I recently visited a shop in full elegance rig, which I had been to before but always dressed as a man. The owner said she knew it was me immediately because they didn't get many women that elegant in [she named the town]. I do this for fun - it gives me a constant supply of dopamines in a way that male clothing doesn't. We had a discussion about our clothes. She was wearing trousers and looked like a very glamorous woman. My dress was above the knee and I was wearing sheer nude tights and medium navy heels - she admired my legs and then said that I too looked like a very glamorous woman (and she emphasised woman). I realised that I actually wanted this beautiful woman to view me favourably as a MAN, but that wasn't happening - in a way that was a compliment to my acting skills but I want women to find me glamorous in my dress AND be attracted to me, and that ain't happening, and it is probably unrealistic to hope it might. To help me achieve my 'look' I have been styled professionally as a woman, and got my colours 'done' by House of Colour - an experience that I recommend without reservation. Irrespective of gender I was advised to wear single coIours in simple, classic styles - no frills or flounces or fine florals or 'fun' prints. I then got styled as a man and though the colours were the same they were distributed differently - but it has given me the confidence to wear colours not often worn by men such as coral and teal - I can wear head to toe coral as a woman but not as a man. Funnily enough I feel I could dress as a man more comfortably in a coral skirt than in coral trousers. Maybe a man wearing a skirt has a licence to break other 'rules' too. So not glamour but elegance for me.
Congratulations for looking like a very glamorous woman! That is the most wonderful compliment you can get. I would have been on cloud 9 for at lease a week.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

jamie001 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:38 am Congratulations for looking like a very glamorous woman! That is the most wonderful compliment you can get. I would have been on cloud 9 for at lease a week.
Oh we all love those compliments jamie001 but there is one slight hitch.
Some of us want to be seen as "attractive" men at the same time and that is the most unlikely thing of all.
Rivegauche is absolutely correct, man in dress or skirt needn't aspire to romantic dalliances.
Men in skirts will truly have arrived when that statement is completely wrong but pigs will probably be flying first.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:55 pmRivegauche is absolutely correct, man in dress or skirt needn't aspire to romantic dalliances.
Hell, I'm living proof of that. I've had to put the kibosh on two potential romances in the past 6 months, the second of those precisely because it was becoming apparent that the woman I was interested in was not going to accept me as who and what I am -- and that's bloody tragic because it was mostly about my skirts.
Men in skirts will truly have arrived when that statement is completely wrong but pigs will probably be flying first.
Pigs fly perfectly well supplied with sufficient thrust. It just becomes a control problem and be sure not to stand underneath when they fly by!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:28 pm Hell, I'm living proof of that.
I add a further complication, but I suspect skirts may actually be the bigger factor.
Hell it most definitely is and I don't believe it will change anytime soon either.
One of my young colleagues reckons his GF would like to see him in a skirt but he is not up for it.
She has to be a complete rarity.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:28 pmI add a further complication, but I suspect skirts may actually be the bigger factor.
In the second one, yes, the skirts were the killing blow. There were also other "problems" likely in play, and I suspect those revolved around life-experience.

In the first, it was subtle untruths and misleading -- and I'll tolerate neither of those.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

I do not wear skirts with the view of masculine style or feminine style. I choose to wear skirts because of the freedom they offer me but more so they have character, personality and colour that society labelled men's clothes do not offer. My skirts are all society labelled female skirts but I ignore such unnecessary labels. It's a skirt, my size, I like it and once acquired its my skirt, nobody else's skirt.

My outfit has to look good on me, colour coordinated but have to be practical everyday skirts. Patterns are not an issue for me. Although I wear slips and are part of the outfit I am not for skirts that are huge, need hoops under them, too fussy or difficult to wear.

I noted a comment about wind and skirts. On windy days I wear a less flowy skirt to prevent a Marilyn Monroe experience but a bit of flapping is not an issue.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

TheSkirtedMan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:02 pmI noted a comment about wind and skirts. On windy days I wear a less flowy skirt
to prevent a Marilyn Monroe experience but a bit of flapping is not an issue.
This is keeping the "mechanics" of skirt wearing in mind :D
However, on a veryEXTREMELY hot day, a fresh bit of wind feels fantastic :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Yea, you see her undies.
No big deal they cover more than the Bikini she was photographed in hundreds of times.

I'm more impressed that she was navigating that steel grate in Heels.

TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Uncle Al wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:03 pm
TheSkirtedMan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:02 pmI noted a comment about wind and skirts. On windy days I wear a less flowy skirt
to prevent a Marilyn Monroe experience but a bit of flapping is not an issue.
This is keeping the "mechanics" of skirt wearing in mind :D
However, on a veryEXTREMELY hot day, a fresh bit of wind feels fantastic :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I'm all for that fresh bit of wind and a little bit of lift helps that!
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

phathack wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:07 pm Yea, you see her undies.
No big deal they cover more than the Bikini she was photographed in hundreds of times.

I'm more impressed that she was navigating that steel grate in Heels.

Compared to what women wear today, those undies were positively voluminous. And yeah, I too was more impressed with how Marilyn stood on that grate in those heels she wore.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.