Glamour

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
BouffantBelle

Re: Glamour

Post by BouffantBelle »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:53 pm I have skirts that long and wear them commonly in public and don't have a hard time with them. One just needs to keep his wits about him.
Are yours 4 feet wide at the bottom? :lol:

Trust me, no man is making this look his own unless he's starring in a panto. Besides, where I hail from, i'd probably get lynched if I so much as stepped out in lipstick. These skirts are staying where they're safe, i'm afraid. :wink:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

BouffantBelle wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:17 pmAre yours 4 feet wide at the bottom? :lol:
Some are, especially if I'm wearing a petticoat with a hoop in it.
Trust me, no man is making this look his own unless he's starring in a panto. Besides, where I hail from, i'd probably get lynched if I so much as stepped out in lipstick. These skirts are staying where they're safe, i'm afraid. :wink:
Well, one does need to be aware of locale, but I was just saying that if you can actually carry the rig and have it look believable, it can work in a public setting.

Initially, my late ex- teased me about my first outright maxi -- until she saw me in it and in motion. The motion of some of the very large skirts can be quite compelling to watch. In my case, I'm very tall and walk very quickly, meaning I tend to lean into turns and when that happens I go one way and the skirt goes the other; it's an astonishing sight. The hooped skirts don't flow as nicely as the non-hooped ones as hooped ones tend to gimbal about the wearer's waist in much the same way as a rocket engine does for steering.

I may actually dig out my black micro-pleated maxi for dinner tonight!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:28 pm The motion of some of the very large skirts can be quite compelling to watch. In my case, I'm very tall and walk very quickly, meaning I tend to lean into turns and when that happens I go one way and the skirt goes the other; it's an astonishing sight.
Don't I know it. :D I love everything about it, hence the username and the avatar. I really don't like hoops or cages, they may maintain the silhouette, but the free movement, the feel against the legs, they rob you of all those sensations, so that kind of defeats the purpose.

Having said that, my hoopless petticoat is monstrously heavy. I have to cinch it in as tightly as possible with a threaded belt, because nothing else holds it up. I can only wear it for about 4 hours before it starts to painfully pinch, so I definitely see why cages were introduced. But so worth it.

Enjoy your pleated skirt! Lovely. :)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

BouffantBelle wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:49 pmHaving said that, my hoopless petticoat is monstrously heavy. I have no cinch it in as tightly as possible with a threaded belt, because nothing else holds it up. I can only wear it for about 4 hours before it starts to painfully pinch, so I definitely see why cages were introduced. But so worth it.
If you can successfully hide them under the bodice, consider braces (US, "suspenders") to transfer some of the load to your shoulders. I've had to resort to that with some of my skirts which are now a bit large on me (having lost a lot of weight over the past several years) and the braces hide very gracefully under my waistcoats.
Enjoy your pleated skirt! Lovely. :)
That's my intent.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:36 am
BouffantBelle wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:42 am It seems like nobody here enjoys their skirts just because they find them pretty?
Well yes, some of them. There are some very beautiful dresses I'd like to wear, if I could pull them off. But it's not something I look for on a day to day basis.

Look at it this way: women wear glamourous skirts, but not on a day to day basis. Usually only for special occasions. Most people here are looking at skirts from the point of view of something to wear daily, and then you're not really looking for glamourous things.

Aside from the issue that most people are not trying to stand out, and so tend to the less visually stunning styles. There's a couple of parallel issues: men wearing skirts (which is what this forum is about), men wearing bolder colours and patterns (which sometimes comes up here and is actually fairly widely accepted already) and men wearing things like crepe, satin, lace, semi-transparent, frills, ruffles, etc (which is just a whole other ballpark).

The last thing is something that's still a bridge too far for many here, though that may be age related. I'm hoping the younger generation will be more out there on this issue.
Wearing skirts because they are pretty....yes! Many, if not most, of my skirts are mostly of a solid color, often colors that might have been found in "mens" jeans and slacks --- they are utilitarian and 'pass' without comment or notice most anywhere. Others are a bit more 'fem' in that they have two-colors, a pattern, an odd hem, buttons down the front -- the odd bits that supposedly designate they are female garments; and those often come on board when we are headed out to dinner, or I have an engagement that might be considered a dash more formal regardless of gender.

THEN, there comes the multi-colored; strong colors like red and lavender, patterns including floral, often including a semi-sheer fabric over shorter liner or half slip -- these clearly are 'beyond the pale' to be considered male garments when consulting the masses in the west. BUT, though I do find I am much more cognizant of the fact I am wearing not only a skirt, but something clearly considered feminine in its presentation, I feel no less a man, though I wonder if I am helping or hindering the cause of men in skirts. Wearing these certainly is 'sticking it in their faces' and I hope provokes the thought "why not?) and maybe a little bit of rumination about gender expectations. And YES I will wear them because I think they are pretty too. I may not be the best model for them, but I'd not elect to wear clothes I thought were ugly regardless of their supposed gender.

If you read through more of the posts, I think you will find a number of the chaps here do go to quite an effort to wear a good look, and for some that includes, shoes, hose, nails, hats, jewelry, and tops -- I cannot but believe they are seeking 'attractive' if not pretty.
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Hm. It seems that some here are still uneasy at the idea of guys wearing skirts for reasons other than comfort and utility, and do not approve. Which I guess isn't really surprising, but it is unfortunate.

The line was already drawn: No skirts for men. We crossed it. We rejected it. Who are we now to try to draw another one?
Faldaguy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:45 am I may not be the best model for them
:roll: Tell me about it. Oh well. At least I can open my own jam jars. :mrgreen:
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

BouffantBelle wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:04 am Hm. It seems that some here are still uneasy at the idea of guys wearing skirts for reasons other than comfort and utility, and do not approve. Which I guess isn't really surprising, but it is unfortunate.
I’m not sure people here are against wearing skirts for looks. I just think some people think some things versus other things look good. And what one person likes isn’t what the other likes.

I wear a skirt because it is comfortable. But I also do want to look good. I’ve recently stumbled on the phrase “goblin mode” which describes a lot of modern day folks who just don’t care what they look like as long as they’re comfortable. That’s not me. But I can also say, I don’t want my clothing choices to constrict my ability to do anything. Hence why I’m not a fan of skirts that limit your stride. Others love them and that’s great. Just not for me.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:45 am
rode_kater wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:36 am
BouffantBelle wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:42 am It seems like nobody here enjoys their skirts just because they find them pretty?
Well yes, some of them. There are some very beautiful dresses I'd like to wear, if I could pull them off. But it's not something I look for on a day to day basis.

Look at it this way: women wear glamourous skirts, but not on a day to day basis. Usually only for special occasions. Most people here are looking at skirts from the point of view of something to wear daily, and then you're not really looking for glamourous things.

Aside from the issue that most people are not trying to stand out, and so tend to the less visually stunning styles. There's a couple of parallel issues: men wearing skirts (which is what this forum is about), men wearing bolder colours and patterns (which sometimes comes up here and is actually fairly widely accepted already) and men wearing things like crepe, satin, lace, semi-transparent, frills, ruffles, etc (which is just a whole other ballpark).

The last thing is something that's still a bridge too far for many here, though that may be age related. I'm hoping the younger generation will be more out there on this issue.
Wearing skirts because they are pretty....yes! Many, if not most, of my skirts are mostly of a solid color, often colors that might have been found in "mens" jeans and slacks --- they are utilitarian and 'pass' without comment or notice most anywhere. Others are a bit more 'fem' in that they have two-colors, a pattern, an odd hem, buttons down the front -- the odd bits that supposedly designate they are female garments; and those often come on board when we are headed out to dinner, or I have an engagement that might be considered a dash more formal regardless of gender.

THEN, there comes the multi-colored; strong colors like red and lavender, patterns including floral, often including a semi-sheer fabric over shorter liner or half slip -- these clearly are 'beyond the pale' to be considered male garments when consulting the masses in the west.
Color/colour remains a topic of concern; I've happened upon another article that purports to offer advice to men that are thinking of donning a skirt https://ourfashionpassion.com/2023-how- ... -as-a-man/ and they bring up (once more) the predictable suggestion to confine oneself to the usual boring colours (British English spelling in the article, so that likely indicates where it's from):

5. Colour:

Don’t just put on any colour. Make sure you choose a dull colour, ideal for men. Bright colour skirts will have many confusing you for a lady. You can probably choose a black men’s skirt or a navy blue or brown one.

We've got to break free!

Thank goodness that Falda and others refuse to conform to this dull present. There are plenty in our midst showing the way to a brighter, more colourful future.
Familyman34
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

familyman34 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:12 am
We've got to break free!

Thank goodness that Falda and others refuse to conform to this dull present. There are plenty in our midst showing the way to a brighter, more colourful future.
Though I couldn’t agree more that men need to break free of the brown/blue/black confines of clothing color palette, I also think the article addresses an important concept.

Some people and please note this is just my opinion, have a hard time stepping out in a skirt for the first time. I did. Still do. So I think of it as a process of baby steps.

It was great to read all the stories on this cafe before I became bold enough to start wearing a skirt “in public.” But no story would’ve given me the confidence to wear one to work or in front of friends the first day I tried one on (unless on Halloween or as part of a play/costume).

I needed to slowly start pushing my remarkably small envelope. First time wearing a skirt outside, I was in a small city where I knew no one that was basically deserted and it was pitch black at night. Thinking back, there’s no way in H E double hockey stick that anyone could’ve known what I was wearing, my gender or let alone recognize who I was.

But it helped me greatly to get comfortable wearing one.

But it was a boring black skirt. No frills. No extra anything.

Even in a strange, deserted city at night, I couldn’t have worn a floral pink skirt with frills.

So I think this article just addresses the need for newbies to dress in colors they are currently comfortable as they “dip their toe” in the water of skirt wearing. As they become more comfortable with wearing one, then I believe it’s time to add colors.

This diatribe does not mean men shouldn’t wear different colors in clothing traditionally accepted on men. That’s another place where men can baby step themselves into w freedom. And should
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I began in public with dark skirts. Then came the patterns. Then the dark, relatively plain dresses.

Then I just ‘went for it’ and I now wear a whole range of styles, colours and patterns of dress. Now that it’s too warm to wear a jacket or coat I carry a cross body bag, the theory being that when I’m wearing a dress who’s going to notice a bag?

I obviously stand out among the men wearing baggy jeans with the crotch down to their knees and the fat women in leggings but who cares? I certainly feel better dressed than used to be the case when I wore trousers.

We all need just a touch of the exhibitionist.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Hi there there is was a thread running called "feeling pretty".
It might sort of touch on this subject some. Go read over it to if you want. It was active back in August of 2019.

In a limited sense I like pretty things.

Pretty colors, pretty pictures, fabric, pretty skirts. Pretty tartans. Pretty flowers, pretty power tools.

I have a few pretty skirts, most are more traditionally masculine. I have trouble buying something that while being pretty, I can never see myself wearing it.
Looping back to practical I guess

I by no means feel pretty or want to be called pretty when wearing a skirt or kilt.

I at best would hope for cute or fun.

That skirt looks fun.
That's a cute skirt, cute outfit

I mean if anyone ever says that's a handsome skirt, I'm not going to correct them.

I don't see my self as pretty, handsome or pretty handsome

To quote a character on the TV show Red Green.
"If the women don't find you handsome, at least they will find you handy".
Later guys "keep your sticks on the ice"
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:05 pm Hi there there is was a thread running called "feeling pretty".
It might sort of touch on this subject some. Go read over it to if you want. It was active back in August of 2019.
Ah yes. Found it. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm not really sure that's what I was trying to express when I started this thread. I guess it must be possible for men to feel pretty, but i'm damned if I have any experience of that, myself. How do you feel pretty when you know you aren't, by general definition? :mrgreen:

However, I absolutely can admire a beautiful outfit on me, without feeling like that beauty transfers to me in any way, and I find it enjoyable to do so. I guess I just wanted an idea of how many here might happen to relate, and shop for this purpose sometimes, rather than for sheer utility. I hope that makes some kind of sense? :D

EDIT: Actually, some of your own comments in that thread sum it up for me very well. Image
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

BouffantBelle wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:04 am Hm. It seems that some here are still uneasy at the idea of guys wearing skirts for reasons other than comfort and utility, and do not approve. Which I guess isn't really surprising, but it is unfortunate.

The line was already drawn: No skirts for men. We crossed it. We rejected it. Who are we now to try to draw another one?

:roll: Tell me about it. Oh well. At least I can open my own jam jars. :mrgreen:
Also remember we don't include in every post 'IMO', 'not for me' or it wouldn't suit me', it should be taken as implied in most posts. Mostly we are offering opinions definitely not directives. We are all at different steps, in different relationships and have different feelings but all trying to be comfortable wearing non-traditional clothes - skirts and maybe more.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I will reiterate here to help clarify -- I hope! My statement was:
Please note "Wearing skirts because they -- the skirt, not necessarily the wearer is pretty. Yes, I will wear a skirt that I like for its colors, pattern, shape...whatever, as I like the skirt. It is not my desire to, or not to, look anything other than myself -- and I've never had anyone tell me I am pretty'. I don't suppose it would matter -- their opinion; but I have had people compliment my skirts as nice, lovely, neat, good looking, attractive, and "I want your skirt". I cannot recall a "pretty" but it may have happened.

I believe BouffantBelle was writing about pretty skirts, even flambouant skirts -- not pretty guys. Go through the pictures and looks postings -- there are a lot of skirts there that I think we can call pretty -- and if you don't have one, head out and get a couple!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

We all come at skirt wearing from different angles. I do the simple man in skirt (more rarely dress) thing but also dress and attempt to behave as a woman - usually in a dress and heels with a wig and make-up (and bust). At no point do I identify as a woman and though I attempt a version of female body language I would regard as elegant rather than feminine, and I do not aspire to any aspect of femininity itself. The objective is to appear elegant. I am often described as elegant, occasionally as glamorous but only on one occasion (by the husband of a woman friend) as pretty. Definitely not going for pretty, and probably too old for it now anyway. I recently visited a shop in full elegance rig, which I had been to before but always dressed as a man. The owner said she knew it was me immediately because they didn't get many women that elegant in [she named the town]. I do this for fun - it gives me a constant supply of dopamines in a way that male clothing doesn't. We had a discussion about our clothes. She was wearing trousers and looked like a very glamorous woman. My dress was above the knee and I was wearing sheer nude tights and medium navy heels - she admired my legs and then said that I too looked like a very glamorous woman (and she emphasised woman). I realised that I actually wanted this beautiful woman to view me favourably as a MAN, but that wasn't happening - in a way that was a compliment to my acting skills but I want women to find me glamorous in my dress AND be attracted to me, and that ain't happening, and it is probably unrealistic to hope it might. To help me achieve my 'look' I have been styled professionally as a woman, and got my colours 'done' by House of Colour - an experience that I recommend without reservation. Irrespective of gender I was advised to wear single coIours in simple, classic styles - no frills or flounces or fine florals or 'fun' prints. I then got styled as a man and though the colours were the same they were distributed differently - but it has given me the confidence to wear colours not often worn by men such as coral and teal - I can wear head to toe coral as a woman but not as a man. Funnily enough I feel I could dress as a man more comfortably in a coral skirt than in coral trousers. Maybe a man wearing a skirt has a licence to break other 'rules' too. So not glamour but elegance for me.