Opinions

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Opinions

Post by STEVIE »

I posit a question, can an "opinion" be right or wrong simultaneously?
Shades of the long suffering Schrodinger's cat I feel.
Just asking?
I will leave the answer to the philosophers among us.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Opinions

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:25 amI posit a question, can an "opinion" be right or wrong simultaneously?
Yes. Lots of people hold opinions that are absolutely refuted by science. Does that refutation make the opinion wrong? Flip a coin. It might land on its rim.
I feel for you on that count!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, my opinion is that most opinions don't matter, unless it's an opinion I already agree with, and if your opinion conflicts with my opinion, then my opinion is that your opinion is wrong, and I believe that you should suffer the consequences for having an opinion different than my opinion. Don't be a snowflake, if you can't handle my opinion then that's your problem, I've got freedom of speech, you've got the right to remain silent, unless you agree with my opinion, then we can be friends, but only as long as we are in full agreement, otherwise you're just a __(insert social insult here)___, and that's not my opinion, it's a fact.

-Everyone on the internet, especially Twitter...

But not SkirtCafe.... we're cool... well most of us anyway. :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:25 am I posit a question, can an "opinion" be right or wrong simultaneously?
Just asking?
I will leave the answer to the philosophers among us.
Steve.
Our opinions only become facts once they, like the cat have been observed. Keep your opinions to yourself and they are forever both right and wrong!

The problem we face is our opinion: 'men should wear skirts', is being observed, validated by the average person. The average person is an idiot! This is the overriding reason why we should ignore them and be happy.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:39 pm Well, my opinion is that most opinions don't matter, unless it's an opinion I already agree with, and if your opinion conflicts with my opinion, then my opinion is that your opinion is wrong, and I believe that you should suffer the consequences for having an opinion different than my opinion. Don't be a snowflake, if you can't handle my opinion then that's your problem, I've got freedom of speech, you've got the right to remain silent, unless you agree with my opinion, then we can be friends, but only as long as we are in full agreement, otherwise you're just a __(insert social insult here)___, and that's not my opinion, it's a fact.

-Everyone on the internet, especially Twitter...

But not SkirtCafe.... we're cool... well most of us anyway. :wink:
Of course we're cool we wear skirts and speak freely of it. I am not of the opinion that everyone should wear skirts, just most men and all of the ladies in the world.
Now that is MY opinion your mileage may vary!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:39 pm Don't be a snowflake, if you can't handle my opinion then that's your problem, I've got freedom of speech, you've got the right to remain silent, unless you agree with my opinion, then we can be friends, but only as long as we are in full agreement, otherwise you're just a __(insert social insult here)___, and that's not my opinion, it's a fact.
So my opinion is that my freedom to speak is more valid than yours and that your opinion is utter hogwash.
However, that is my opinion and it can be neither right nor wrong so you cannot get offended in the first instance for it's expression.
Friends or foes, we just are.
No apologies and no appeasement in any shape or form, other's opinions are their problem.
Just be careful of making them mine, I have no great love for my enemies.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:14 am So my opinion is that my freedom to speak is more valid than yours and that your opinion is utter hogwash.
You keep thinking like that and they're going to make you an honorary American citizen! :lol:

I think opinions are more like commodities... the more opinions there are, the less each is worth.

A man who speaks little says so much more than a man who won't shut up.

...and yes, I know I fall in the latter category. I already know my opinions are worthless, I just write because.... You know, I don't really know why I write so much. There are probably better things to do with my life.... :lol:

Or are there? I mean, what else would I do, especially on a rainy three day weekend where I'm also "on call"?

I guess I could read a book...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:05 pm There are probably better things to do with my life....
Such as?
The best thing to do in life is that which brings you joy.
Anything else is wasting what life you have left.
Opinion, fact, right now Moon I really don't care.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:13 pm Such as?
The best thing to do in life is that which brings you joy.
You know what..? When I made the comment, I thought that very same thing...

A wasted day isn't a wasted day if you were doing what you wanted. For someone else to say that I wasted a day is really a matter of personal opinion.

Good catch Steve!
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:13 pmThe best thing to do in life is that which brings you joy.
Seconded. You have to generate that joy for yourself, because if you don't nobody else will likely hand it to you.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

A wise man once said "Opinions are like A$$holes everyone has one". :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all have our opinions and we share them even if not asked. Many take offense at them others agree with them but most are ignored. I tend to ignore most of them as they mean nothing to me.

We are pretty much an agreeable bunch here at the Cafe and our opinions do not stir up to many rhubarbs among the clientele. But when they do they are usually pretty mild and easily controlled.

So what is your opinion on the subject??? :rofl: :rofl:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:09 pmA wise man once said "Opinions are like A$$holes everyone has one". :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is, of course, omitting the second part of the quote, "... and they all stink!"
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:21 pm
Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:09 pmA wise man once said "Opinions are like A$$holes everyone has one". :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is, of course, omitting the second part of the quote, "... and they all stink!"
That was because mine do not at least to me!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Fred in Skirts » Mon May 29, 2023 1:09 pm

We are pretty much an agreeable bunch here at the Cafe and our opinions do not stir up to many rhubarbs among the clientele. But when they do they are usually pretty mild and easily controlled.

So what is your opinion on the subject???
Fred. I love rhubarb -- add a little sugar, bake in a crisp or pie! In "Friends" circles we sometimes refer to the "prickly friend" -- usually worth listening to as they often bring us up short on our own assumptions and short-comings. Life would be dull without a bit of rhubarb in it! :hmmm:
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:14 am
by Fred in Skirts » Mon May 29, 2023 1:09 pm

So what is your opinion on the subject???
Fred. I love rhubarb -- add a little sugar, bake in a crisp or pie! In "Friends" circles we sometimes refer to the "prickly friend" -- usually worth listening to as they often bring us up short on our own assumptions and short-comings. Life would be dull without a bit of rhubarb in it! :hmmm:
Falda,

Perhaps you have a perticularly tolerant attitude; after all you live in an exceptionally enlightened country.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023 ... nd-tourism
I'm so envious!

Regards,
Familyman34