Experiences in Finland?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
zjo

Experiences in Finland?

Post by zjo »

I live in Tampere, Finland and I’m eager to hear about any experiences going out in a skirt in here or elsewhere in Finland?

I don’t remember seeing anyone myself but in Jodel I saw enthusiastic sightings of some kilts and my girlfriend told me she saw a very masculine guy in a skirt last week. I’m confident enough to buy my skirts and tights from local shops and I’ve gone out in a shorts and skin colored tights. I’ve also gotten nice service when buying tights and that was a confidence booster - one time there was actually another guy next to me also buying tights and getting nice service which was quite amusing since we were the only customers in the women’s tights section. Recently when I was out drinking with a friend he told me seeing a German guy in leather pants at their office and said that that took a lot of guts so I told him I ordered a kilt online and he just asked a bit sarcastically that does it get a lot of use. I said that it hasn’t arrived yet and the conversation was over. His reaction was a bit of a bummer but I think it was mostly because he didn’t know how to react. I’m quite close to going out in a skirt and my girlfriend will accompany me if I want but I would still like to hear what can be expected from others if anything?
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Experiences in Finland?

Post by GerdG »

Welcome zjo,

I have no experiences from Finland, but from Denmark (my home country), Norway, and Sweden, as well as from most other European countries, and should I visit Finland again, I see no reason, why I should not wear a kilt or another skirt. I should just do it, and I am convinced, that I should not face any problems, at all. Why should Finland be different from all other countries?

Men in skirts may be few, but you shall not be the only man in Finland to wear a skirt.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

GerdG wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:12 pm but from Denmark (my home country), ...
As you mentioned that, Gerd, I recall about 15 years ago having a holiday at Stillinge Strand and I was browsing at a rail of skirts at a stall in a covered-over market in the nearest town (Slagelse) when a middle-aged female assistant approached me and asked me in Danish if I was looking for anything in particular. I replied in Danish that I was just looking around and she smiled and told me that, if I wanted to try anything, to just let her know. That did surprise me because I can't ever recall that happening in the UK. The items were way too feminine for me, but my wife was going through an "ethnic/hippy" phase at the time and I was thinking the heavily-embroidered gypsy skirts might have appealed to her. They did, and she bought one which she still owns.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Greetings and welcome.
Finland seems to be a civilised country and there would be no problems with people choosing their own clothing.
I suggest you don't worry about not seeing other men wearing skirts because here in Australia I have never seen another man wearing a skirt while I wear skirts (particularly mini skirts) most of the time in most situations and feel that there is general acceptance and certainly no hostility. A few people take a second look which is understandable and I am sure I would too if I saw another man wearing a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Stu wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:38 pm
GerdG wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:12 pm but from Denmark (my home country), ...
I recall about 15 years ago having a holiday at Stillinge Strand and I was browsing at a rail of skirts at a stall in a covered-over market in the nearest town (Slagelse) when a middle-aged female assistant approached me and asked me in Danish if I was looking for anything in particular. I replied in Danish that I was just looking around and she smiled and told me that, if I wanted to try anything, to just let her know. That did surprise me because I can't ever recall that happening in the UK.
Stu, I had the same experience 22 years ago in Odense (Denmark) in a shopping mall. A young shop assistant asked me, when I was discretely judging the size of a denim skirt, why I didn't just go try it on?
I was in a business suit (and quite new to skirts), so she couldn't be sure.

I tried on the skirt, and I did buy it.

GerdG

zjo

Post by zjo »

Thank you all for your supportive messages 😊 I actually went out in a skirt on Tuesday and yesterday I saw another man in a skirt here. Good times ☺️
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Great. You ARE not alone. And how was your first outing in a skirt, then?

This morning I had an appointment with my hairdresser. For the second time. The first time I was wearing trousers, but today I decided for my Adidas Genderless skirt. If it does not say anything to you, you can see it here; https://www.dress2kilt.eu/ps4_adidas.htm

Only difference: she was much more communicative than the last time. She seemed to be totally okay with me wearing a skirt, even if we didn't talk about about that, but a lot of other things.

I was wearing my skirt together with a black polo (untucked), white socks, and black Lacoste sneakers with white soles.
GerdG

ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

GerdG wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:04 pm Great. You ARE not alone. And how was your first outing in a skirt, then?

This morning I had an appointment with my hairdresser. For the second time. The first time I was wearing trousers, but today I decided for my Adidas Genderless skirt. If it does not say anything to you, you can see it here; https://www.dress2kilt.eu/ps4_adidas.htm

Only difference: she was much more communicative than the last time. She seemed to be totally okay with me wearing a skirt, even if we didn't talk about about that, but a lot of other things.

I was wearing my skirt together with a black polo (untucked), white socks, and black Lacoste sneakers with white soles.
Nice! Not sure if it’s coincidental but there may be something to the extra attention when skirted. I think it happened to me when I flew on a plane in a kilt with my wife.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

ScotL wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:10 am
Nice! Not sure if it’s coincidental but there may be something to the extra attention when skirted. I think it happened to me when I flew on a plane in a kilt with my wife.
I think the presence of a wife means a great deal. At least I get more comments when I'm around with my wife, than when on my own. Perhaps wives contribute to 'normalizing' men in skirts? He is a MAN in a skirt.
GerdG

shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

zjo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:59 am Thank you all for your supportive messages 😊 I actually went out in a skirt on Tuesday and yesterday I saw another man in a skirt here. Good times ☺️
Well done. :)

:bluebounce: :green: :bluebounce: :green: :bluebounce:

The first time out in a skirt is often a bit of an anxious time but one soon realises that folks often do not notice or are not bothered by the attire.

I notice that in your first post in this thread you said, "I’m quite close to going out in a skirt and my girlfriend will accompany me .......".
Was she with you or was it a solo excursion?
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

GerdG wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:56 am
ScotL wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:10 am
I think the presence of a wife means a great deal. At least I get more comments when I'm around with my wife, than when on my own. Perhaps wives contribute to 'normalizing' men in skirts? He is a MAN in a skirt.
The presence of a wife does make a big difference, especially to me, the wearer. Though I notice I get more comments when I wear a kilt and she’s not around. I have a kilt that’s more like a skirt that I feel I get less comments on but still a few. I think the perception that a kilt is a mans man garment still reigns.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by ScotL » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:05 am

GerdG wrote: ↑Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:56 pm
ScotL wrote: ↑Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:10 pm

The presence of a wife does make a big difference, especially to me, the wearer. Though I notice I get more comments when I wear a kilt and she’s not around. I have a kilt that’s more like a skirt that I feel I get less comments on but still a few. I think the perception that a kilt is a mans man garment still reigns.
I wonder if the propensity to compliment a man in a kilt is not also a somewhat subconscious wish to commend them for stepping outside the 'norm' by wearing a skirt?

Numerous times now I've had people, especially medical/nurses, comment (positively) on my attire, but often they seem a tad hesitant and sometimes use a reference to a "kilt" to ease their initial approach. I have actually had three women in medical settings tell me that the MIS they approached were upset at a reference to skirt, rather than 'kilt' even when it was obvious it was a skirt and not a kilt. So, we MIS's don't always make it easy.

Given I don't wear kilts, and only a couple of my skirts could possibly be considered kilts by folks naïve about the distinctions -- I cannot say the comments would be more frequent when wearing a kilt; nor have I observed any differences when my wife is present, as she frequently is -- but I do have a subjective sense that I 'pass' more readily when she is present---fewer and shorter 'sidewise' looks. Or, maybe they are just looking at her -- a better sight than this old guy any day!

What do you think: Is the comment/compliment on the 'Kilt' also an unspoken endorsement MIS too?
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:34 am
I wonder if the propensity to compliment a man in a kilt is not also a somewhat subconscious wish to commend them for stepping outside the 'norm' by wearing a skirt?

Numerous times now I've had people, especially medical/nurses, comment (positively) on my attire, but often they seem a tad hesitant and sometimes use a reference to a "kilt" to ease their initial approach. I have actually had three women in medical settings tell me that the MIS they approached were upset at a reference to skirt, rather than 'kilt' even when it was obvious it was a skirt and not a kilt. So, we MIS's don't always make it easy.

What do you think: Is the comment/compliment on the 'Kilt' also an unspoken endorsement MIS too?
I believe people who compliment a man for wearing a “kilt” are praising both the look and the confidence to step out of the boring male uniform and be different/themselves. People love, and are drawn to confidence.

I know I am my worst enemy but am working on being better. If someone complimented me on wearing a skirt, I believe I’d be more embarrassed than if they complimented me on wearing a kilt. I say believe because I have only been told my “kilt” looks good. People at work know I’ve worn a kilt because of a fundraiser and I wore one at an out of work office party. They’ve joked about my skirt wearing and I know I feel a little more angst when they say skirt not kilt.

I don’t know what I would do if confronted. I hope I remain calm and reply with confidence since the Royal “they” say confidence is sexy. Not that I’m trying to be sexy but I believe it’s better than being ashamed and cowering in the face of opposition.

I also believe that we MIS folks care more about the designation of skirt versus kilt than almost anyone outside of the hardliners in Scotland. Which in all honesty I respect their right to argue for their heritage. But in my opinion, I think we should leave the discussion of whether it’s a skirt versus a kilt versus a Kilted skirt to this four “walls” of this cafe. I’ve never heard of a woman objecting to the name of a garment if they like the garment. They are freer to just wear what they please and leave the monikers alone. Unless of course it’s a brand name. Haha
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:34 am
ScotL wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:27 pm I also believe that we MIS folks care more about the designation of skirt versus kilt than almost anyone outside of the hardliners in Scotland.

Earlier it was important to me that people called my kilt at kilt, not a skirt. Now I have learned that there are people who actually do not know what it is called and only therefore they say skirt or even dress, especially people with a non-western origin. This is absolutely fine with me.
In most cases, however, even the slightest resemblance with a kilt makes people call it a kilt.
For example, I have two tartan skirts, both from C&A, a grey one and a blue one. They are not even wrap skirts and are having no pleats at the rear. Nevertheless, people call them kilts. As a matter of fact, these skirts are top scorers when it comes to compliments, I should say.

In my grey C&A skirt outside a mining museum in Essen, Germany.

Back in 2014 I was spending five days in Germany with base in Duesseldorf. After a very long time almost only in traditional kilts, I was wearing it an entire day from having early breakfast, going by train to the city of Essen, late in the afternoon meeting a skirt wearer, I had got to know on a German skirt forum and till I close to midnight was back at my hotel in Duesseldorf. When taking off, it was with very mixed feelings, and when sitting in the train, going north to Essen, I felt so vulnerable, but by then it was point-of-no-return, and I had to relax. And I could and I did. I simply on that day had so many compliments on my kilt.

The same experience I have with the blue-patterned C&A skirt, bought in 2018 in a C&A store at 12 Euro in Duesseldorf.

Königs Alle, Düsseldorf. My cheap C&A skirt worn with long socks and 20 DEN transparent pantyhose

Also, this kilted mini skirt seems, even worn with tights, to be a kilt:

My conclusion:
To very many, MEN will wear kilts whatever skirts they are. And regarding the few to whom kilts are skirts, let them. After all, kilts ARE skirts, aren't they.

GerdG

Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I really like your "Bag Tag" :D
Are they still available for purchase :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)