Insults

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Insults

Post by Jim »

As we have a topic "compliments", I thought it would be fun to share the opposite. I'll start.

As I was on the sidewalk in Princeton, Illinois, yesterday, a guy in a car yelled out, "Get some pants on, you queer!" I believe it was the same fellow who, when he passes a "Black Lives Matter" sign, yells out "Kill all Ni**ers!" I just gave him a smile and a friendly wave. I was wearing a brown knee-length corduroy skirt that I thought would mostly pass as shorts. I think this is the first public insult I've received.

Who else has had similar experiences and how did you respond?
Last edited by Jim on Wed May 24, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkirtedWalker

Re: Insults

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Was wearing a Purple Rain dress with a long sleeve, long tail shirt over it. Went into a restroom in Arizona, and there was a hard-core biker guy there too. As I was drying my hands, the biker guy said “That looks ridiculous dude”. I wore my dress with a shirt over for 3 solid weeks, everyday, most all day, including 100% of my 9 drive days. Some people starred, and I saw some people commenting to each other about my skirted look. I received two compliments from women in the Flagstaff Whole Foods store, one RV park desk clerk said “Like the look”, and one solo lady in the same RV park asked where I got my skirt. Overall, it was a positive experience with the one negative.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

“That looks ridiculous dude”.

Did I ask your opinion?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:49 pm “That looks ridiculous dude”.
I can change but you will still be ugly/stupid/fat/________(other).
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It is strange that they like to out themselves for the bigots they are.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The last verse in a poem by Robert Burns.
The title is "To a Louse"

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!

Kinda sums it up very nicely.
Steve
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't get out in the masses like I used to. I have my watering holes that I visit on my days off, places that are always friendly and don't draw the underbelly of society. If I walk, I typically walk alone in the woods, or along some dusty isolated road.

I like several local antique stores, I do most of my grocery shopping at the Abingdon Food Lion, as the patrons generally seem more civilized than the "walmart crowd", though in fairness I haven't had an issue in Walmart in a couple of years.

When I first started I got heckled often, called "disgusting", a "faggot", so on and so forth, but in fairness, as I look back on some of my earlier photo's, I agree... I did look ridiculous.

These days, I'm getting more chubby, and I generally walk a little slower with a more casual stride. Sometimes I carry a large walking stick with me. I love the long hair, and combined with a basic skirt and tee shirt, I seem to rock this somewhat "Jesus" look that I dig, especially when paired with my brown sandals. :lol:

I want someone to ask about the walking stick. My response would be "for protection".

They might be confused, or maybe laugh, to which I would continue, "Moses freed the Israelites with a staff and faith in God... I don't need a firearm".

If they ask about my gender, I reply "I am what I am".

If they get too obnoxious I would recommend to them to "mind their business".

Imagine a world where everyone actually minded their own business.... I'd bet 85% of our social problems would disappear.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:10 am I'd bet 85% of our social problems would disappear.
I'd take that bet higher Moon, 90 % to up the ante.
Mental health issues could get an even better score.
One thing, the safe bet is that it will never happen, 99.99%.
Sad, but true.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

moonshadow wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:10 am I don't get out in the masses like I used to. I have my watering holes that I visit on my days off, places that are always friendly and don't draw the underbelly of society. If I walk, I typically walk alone in the woods, or along some dusty isolated road.

I like several local antique stores, I do most of my grocery shopping at the Abingdon Food Lion, as the patrons generally seem more civilized than the "walmart crowd", though in fairness I haven't had an issue in Walmart in a couple of years.

When I first started I got heckled often, called "disgusting", a "faggot", so on and so forth, but in fairness, as I look back on some of my earlier photo's, I agree... I did look ridiculous.

These days, I'm getting more chubby, and I generally walk a little slower with a more casual stride. Sometimes I carry a large walking stick with me. I love the long hair, and combined with a basic skirt and tee shirt, I seem to rock this somewhat "Jesus" look that I dig, especially when paired with my brown sandals. :lol:

I want someone to ask about the walking stick. My response would be "for protection".

They might be confused, or maybe laugh, to which I would continue, "Moses freed the Israelites with a staff and faith in God... I don't need a firearm".

If they ask about my gender, I reply "I am what I am".

If they get too obnoxious I would recommend to them to "mind their business".

Imagine a world where everyone actually minded their own business.... I'd bet 85% of our social problems would disappear.
Moon I can almost feel your misery running through me when I read you posts.
From your posts you seem to partially restricting yourself to some safe areas eg walks in the woods, local stores where you are known. Places where conflicts and jibes won't happen. You are obviously strong or you would have never have ventured into the forbidden territory. You don't need to put up with this. You could move to place where your (our) way of life is not only accepted but celebrated.
I live in a sort of half way house. Tolerated is the word I would use. I'm thinking of moving, there are better places than than this.

I say all this but my real reason for posting is your walking stick. I bought my dad a shillelagh, he loves his and put a rubber foot on it. It's a walking stick and fighting stick. The wood is really hard with lots of sticking out bits. It looks lovely and would hurt like hell if you clouted someone with it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Barleymower wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:38 pm Moon I can almost feel your misery running through me when I read you posts.
I struggle with humanity and all our hatred and vices because I know we could do so much better. We have it in our collective ability to soar, and it makes the heart ache to watch my species throw it all away. We have all the tools and knowledge we need to eliminate virtually all pain and sorrow, and we refuse.

I could move to the other side of the universe and live among peaceful space aliens, yet in the back of my mind, my heart will always be with, and ache for the struggles of my human brothers and sisters. There's no escaping that.
Barleymower wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:38 pm You are obviously strong or you would have never have ventured into the forbidden territory. You don't need to put up with this. You could move to place where your (our) way of life is not only accepted but celebrated.
My home is here, my soul is in these hills, and I love these people, even if they make me want to pull my hair out sometimes.

I'm human, sometimes I lash out, sometimes I get angry and cynicism gets the better of me, but deep down...

... I still love these people.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:29 am... I still love these people.
And that likely makes you more fully human than they are. And nobody's any wiser for it. :(
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

moonshadow wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:29 am
My home is here, my soul is in these hills, and I love these people, even if they make me want to pull my hair out sometimes.

I'm human, sometimes I lash out, sometimes I get angry and cynicism gets the better of me, but deep down...

I understand this completely. You don’t pick home, home picks you.

I also agree with Carl, you’re a great man for turning the other cheek. Loving your enemies. And not judging others. Keep up the great work.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

moonshadow wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:29 am
Barleymower wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:38 pm Moon I can almost feel your misery running through me when I read you posts.
I struggle with humanity and all our hatred and vices because I know we could do so much better. We have it in our collective ability to soar, and it makes the heart ache to watch my species throw it all away. We have all the tools and knowledge we need to eliminate virtually all pain and sorrow, and we refuse.

I could move to the other side of the universe and live among peaceful space aliens, yet in the back of my mind, my heart will always be with, and ache for the struggles of my human brothers and sisters. There's no escaping that.
Barleymower wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:38 pm You are obviously strong or you would have never have ventured into the forbidden territory. You don't need to put up with this. You could move to place where your (our) way of life is not only accepted but celebrated.

That's good and you are lucky to have that. I really hope there are enough people there who accept you as much as you accept them. I don't have that but also I'm happy to move around but always go home for a visit.

Humans are frail and I think their bad habits are out of necessity. The necessity to be cold, greedy, judgmental and insular is not there anymore and yet people are like it anyway. Its so dumb. No point in arguing with them.Dumb people will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. They are best avoided.

There's more to it though. Our communities don't need all this stuff we have. There was never a time when we wanted it. We were told we wanted it and now it's our fault. It's not our fault. We know when to stop when we are getting out of balance. There are those out there tucked away in big corporations who's greed knows no end. I feel like society is a puppet in their hands.

Bringing this back to our clothes. Wearing whatever style suits you should be no big deal. The whole gender war going on does not need to happen and I'm sure our communities could accept it with the right leadership.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Barleymower wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:02 pm That's good and you are lucky to have that. I really hope there are enough people there who accept you as much as you accept them.
I do. I've simply endeavored to surround myself with kind people.

It should be noted that I have gone months without a single heckling incident down here in the rural Appalachia. Then I visited Burlington Vermont (just one block away from Senator Bernie Sander's office) for one day, and on the second hour of my visit, while taking a casual walk through the business district, I already had two older men heckle me from a distance. Later in the day I'd be riding my bike around and I got a cat call from a car of full of teenagers.

Burlington Vermont.. yeah... Vermont, arguably the most laid back and "liberal" state in the union.

To put that in perspective, I've spent combined weeks in Nashville Tennessee over the years and to date I've never had a single nasty incident.

The trip was very enlightening. I enjoyed it, but at the same time, I don't think I'd want to live there. Not because of the heckling, or really, not for any particular reason. It just didn't feel like home. There was a certain "dryness" in the culture, I can't put my finger on it. People were friendly... but it just felt different somehow, it was strange, and I can't explain it.

Russell County Virginia is arguably one of the most redneck and conservative counties in Virginia, and I live here full time. Thus, 90% of my time is spent here, much of that time, in a skirt. Do I get heckled? Sure... On average about once or twice per YEAR.

Burlington Vermont? Within a hour of getting out the car, and even among the friendly folk, it just... didn't seem the same.

There is something to be said for "southern hospitality". If you like your tea sweet, fried chicken, biscuits and gravy... if you stand for the anthem, and pull over to the side of the road when a funeral precession drives by, [0] hold the door for people, refer to women as "ma'am" while giving a "nod of respect" as you walk by, and talk highly of your mama, then you'll fit right in. It doesn't matter what you're wearing.

[0] Speaking of funerals, I did happen upon a funeral precession while driving through Syracuse New York. They were heading opposite of my direction, still, once I recognized what it was, I pulled my car over, hazard flashers on, until they were finished passing by. I was somewhat taken back by the fact that I was the only one doing this. NOBODY else pulled over...

I turned around and told Liz "I know they say, "when in Rome...", but I don't care. You pay respect to a grieving family"... in this manner I'm happy to bring a little bit of southern culture to the north... maybe they'll learn something. Speaking of PRIDE... I was proud of my Virginia tag on that day... I hope they noticed how we roll (or don't roll during a funeral :wink: ) down south. And by the way, if you suspect that the deceased is a veteran, police officer, or fire fighter, then it's even appropriate to get out of your car, stand beside it remove your hat (if you're wearing one) and place your right hand over your heart.... ESPECIALLY if killed in the line of duty.

Yeah... there's something about southern culture.
-Andrea
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Fortunately, I never have issues with insults, spoken or displayed. Most of my time I’m wearing kilts, mostly in a very casual way without a sporran, or wearing other skirts.
Could it be that Americans or part of them are ruder than Europeans? Just a thought.

I have a 25-years long experience from most European countries, including my own, of course.

The only time I recall as a bad experience was in 2011 in New York, Manhattan, where a guy (definitely low status) told me that I deserved to be shot dead.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.