The Beskirted Man

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Beskirted Man

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:52 am Now how do I find some style??
Some would say to consult a professional stylist BM and that's fine, if you have the readies.
My way was practice and experiment with a lot of failure in between.
Failure of a very cringeworthy nature too, like this;
015.JPG
My very first contribution to "pics and looks".
Girls of your daughter's age will have had more encouragement and opportunity to find their "style" than many guys of our generation.
Don't ever be misled by some women appearing effortlessly beautiful, they've been working on it all their lives.
For myself, I keep my eyes open, observe and store for future ref.
Inspiration can come when least expected and unlikely sources. I have only one rule, I'd never copy an outright teen girl fashion, I learnt that lesson.
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

How do you find some style? This is my main motivation in wearing skirts and dresses and the most obvious answer is you can find it by watching women. But we don't grow up with daily feedback about how to wear these clothes and when I made the move - which for me included dressing as a woman - the level of ignorance was total. I realised that I couldn't really tell what suited ME by watching women, so I decided to get a colour and style consultation. I used House of Colour which I still think is the best of the bunch. It was expensive, but it changed my life. Whether I am dressed as a woman or presenting as a man in these clothes, I know I am wearing an outfit that looks good on me. The styling transformed my confidence. I think most women dress to impress other women - and to feel good about themselves. Only a few dress to impress men. How do I know this? I asked. They also wear clothes to feel feminine, which I don't. Women have told me that they are impressed with the way I dress as a woman or as a man in a skirt. They say they really admire my legs. Does this mean they find my legs and my outfits attractive? A fairly emphatic no. Though the styling is expensive it can save more money on the long run ab avoiding clothing purchases that don't work for you especially if you haven't go to the stage of trying things on before buying them.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:07 am
Barleymower wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:52 am Now how do I find some style??
Some would say to consult a professional stylist BM and that's fine, if you have the readies.
My way was practice and experiment with a lot of failure in between.
Failure of a very cringeworthy nature too, like this;
015.JPG
My very first contribution to "pics and looks".
Girls of your daughter's age will have had more encouragement and opportunity to find their "style" than many guys of our generation.
Don't ever be misled by some women appearing effortlessly beautiful, they've been working on it all their lives.
For myself, I keep my eyes open, observe and store for future ref.
Inspiration can come when least expected and unlikely sources. I have only one rule, I'd never copy an outright teen girl fashion, I learnt that lesson.
Steve
Nobody bears their soul or their knees, quite like Stevie.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:27 am How do you find some style? This is my main motivation in wearing skirts and dresses and the most obvious answer is you can find it by watching women. But we don't grow up with daily feedback about how to wear these clothes and when I made the move - which for me included dressing as a woman - the level of ignorance was total. I realised that I couldn't really tell what suited ME by watching women, so I decided to get a colour and style consultation. I used House of Colour which I still think is the best of the bunch. It was expensive, but it changed my life. Whether I am dressed as a woman or presenting as a man in these clothes, I know I am wearing an outfit that looks good on me. The styling transformed my confidence. I think most women dress to impress other women - and to feel good about themselves. Only a few dress to impress men. How do I know this? I asked. They also wear clothes to feel feminine, which I don't. Women have told me that they are impressed with the way I dress as a woman or as a man in a skirt. They say they really admire my legs. Does this mean they find my legs and my outfits attractive? A fairly emphatic no. Though the styling is expensive it can save more money on the long run ab avoiding clothing purchases that don't work for you especially if you haven't go to the stage of trying things on before buying them.
I might give this one a miss. If I spend my time observing women in the fashion sense and dressing as women, then ... I'm probably going to look like a man imitating a women. That is not my aim here.

I do get however that fashion sense comes with time and effort.

It's going to be something that I need to work out for myself and others to critique. As a man I am a mixture of masculine and feminine. I accept that. I need to express it in a way that looks good so when I am see by others they think "that guy is in a skirt! But he looks really good".
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:30 pm I might give this one a miss. If I spend my time observing women in the fashion sense and dressing as women, then ... I'm probably going to look like a man imitating a women. That is not my aim here.

It's going to be something that I need to work out for myself and others to critique. As a man I am a mixture of masculine and feminine. I accept that. I need to express it in a way that looks good so when I am see by others they think "that guy is in a skirt! But he looks really good".
I'm right there with you on this. It is tricky, though, navigating these waters - if one has no innate sense of style, how does one cultivate it? It feels like trial and error is the only way, but it's not sufficient to just wear whatever - attention needs to be paid to how pieces go together, and then one needs reference material...

I like what "Getting Dressed With Brad" is doing on Instagram. He could be another one of those people who desperately want fame/fortune/influencer status. However, he's out there, beard and all, showing outfits that work really well (for the most part, though I think a few of his have been misses, and not the female variety :lol:). I think we need more MIS fashion influencers with down to earth styles that men can wear.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:48 am
Barleymower wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:21 pm ...a ray of hope
My daughter whatsapp'd this to me:
https://www.tiktok.com/@wisdm8/video/73 ... 2715912737

I asked her if girls these days would go for a boy like him? She said rough girls mostly like rough boys but there are exceptions. Some might like him.
Rough boys don't wear skirts. So no change there.
He would appeal to alternative girls. They would not have a problem with his clothes.
Even though some of those looks were... quite impractical, I think some of the attitude he gave off is what we need to see more of - a IDGAF unapologetic adoption of stuff he wants to wear. How much of this is for TikTok, though?
Over 1,950 good comments can't be wrong! It seems to be about the attitude one projects. In this week's Daily Mail, it spoke about the return of the "Golden Retriever Boyfriend", a nice guy type as girls are tiring of so-called bad boys. The IDGAF model works if dressed differently from the herd :wink:

Getting Dressed With Brad is great, there's one video of him walking the length of a shopping mall with zero reactions whilst skirted. I watched Mark Bryan's latest "interview" on YouTube, (under the heading Football Coach in Heels) quite odd as he gradually strips whilst interviewed about his attire and people's reactions, until he's sat in just his panties and stockings :shock: It was promoting some sort of therapy channel, but I found it bizarre and the interviewer quite rude :blue:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

new2skirts wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:28 pm It was promoting some sort of therapy channel, but I found it bizarre and the interviewer quite rude :blue:
That’s a shame. Thank you for warning me - that’s not the kind of content or “influence” I’m looking for. Fame/attention will get people to do all sorts of stuff they wouldn’t do before. I like to think I’d be immune to that but I’m probably fooling myself if I think that. Quick - I need a cynical person to agree with me here :P
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:07 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:30 pm I might give this one a miss. If I spend my time observing women in the fashion sense and dressing as women, then ... I'm probably going to look like a man imitating a women. That is not my aim here.

I'm right there with you on this. It is tricky, though, navigating these waters - if one has no innate sense of style, how does one cultivate it? It feels like trial and error is the only way, but it's not sufficient to just wear whatever - attention needs to be paid to how pieces go together, and then one needs reference material...

I like what "Getting Dressed With Brad" is doing on Instagram. He could be another one of those people who desperately want fame/fortune/influencer status. However, he's out there, beard and all, showing outfits that work really well (for the most part, though I think a few of his have been misses, and not the female variety :lol:). I think we need more MIS fashion influencers with down to earth styles that men can wear.
I know guys here have been out there since the year dot promoting MIS. I still feeling that the movement is still in its infancy. It does feel like we are getting somewhere. Like the guy I posted @wisdm8, Brad and even Mark Bryan. They are all doing good work.
It feels like we are on the ground floor of something big, I hope it's not wishful thinking. It isn't!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:56 pm
new2skirts wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:28 pm It was promoting some sort of therapy channel, but I found it bizarre and the interviewer quite rude :blue:
That’s a shame. Thank you for warning me - that’s not the kind of content or “influence” I’m looking for. Fame/attention will get people to do all sorts of stuff they wouldn’t do before. I like to think I’d be immune to that but I’m probably fooling myself if I think that. Quick - I need a cynical person to agree with me here :P
The interviewer sounded like she was a feminist. She was a little harsh on Mark but polite. What I found interesting was that she found what MB is doing is huge. She referred to "peoples" struggles to express themselves and he is lucky not to meet much resistance.
Although not implicitly said, I felt she was referring to male oppression of women, keeping them in skirts. I don't think she would be adverse to giving men a hard time.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I can’t find that Mark Bryan interview. Any chance of a link? Cheers
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’ve found it.

Search term “stylelikeu” and it’s visible. A good interview. A strange one, as Mark removes clothing as he goes through the interview. Must be a warm room ;-)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Glad you found the interview :D

Many people, it seems, have forgotten that Mark Bryan is a member of Skirt Cafe'.
He has been, and still is, a FULL TIME skirt wearing person, in his job, home and
coaching his kids sports team. His Cafe' screen name is "Mark as in Mark" and has
483 posts in his 6 years of membership.

He spends half of his working life in Germany, and the other half in Dallas, TX. U.S.A.

Personally, I wish I had his trim body build instead of a :santa: belly, year round ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:48 am
Barleymower wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:21 pm ...a ray of hope
My daughter whatsapp'd this to me:
https://www.tiktok.com/@wisdm8/video/73 ... 2715912737

I asked her if girls these days would go for a boy like him? She said rough girls mostly like rough boys but there are exceptions. Some might like him.
Rough boys don't wear skirts. So no change there.
He would appeal to alternative girls. They would not have a problem with his clothes.
Even though some of those looks were... quite impractical, I think some of the attitude he gave off is what we need to see more of - a IDGAF unapologetic adoption of stuff he wants to wear. How much of this is for TikTok, though?
I love the looks in the above video and the many positive reactions. This could be the future for most of us here. We can only hope.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

When I saw the description of this video I thought it was going to be all weird, but it was actually a nice interview and good questions and he was given the time to give good answers. Well done.