The Beskirted Man

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Beskirted Man

Post by STEVIE »

Dust wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:20 am The men-in-skirts break-through moment could end up being a reaction against the trans movement. It could be an anti-war protest. It could be the men's rights movement breaking into the mainstream. Who knows? But I don't think the catalyst moment will look like the war factories employing women. It will be different than that, and will likely take even us here by surprise.
One thing we can agree on Dust, NOBODY has a damn clue.
Coder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:19 pm Yet, I want it to be normal at some level, to erase all stigma.
Stigma, that word again and it is a powerful component of taboo. Some may say, "What Stigma"?
The answer, ANYTHING that can be applied in a negative and destructive manner. Even some of the suggestions for change aren't surrounded by real positivity.
Kind of makes permanent erasure a challenge and as for normal, "pie in the sky".
Barleymower wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:21 pm ...a ray of hope
Yes, the generations down the line are the best hope, minds that will be free from stigma and taboo.
The boy in the clip, he wasn't aiming for "practical", why should he? That's our hang up, not his.
Thanks guys, and our teeny adviser, but a final word.
Grit your teeth and get on with your life as you see fit, just keep breathing, it's not over yet!
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:48 am
Barleymower wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:21 pm ...a ray of hope
My daughter whatsapp'd this to me:
https://www.tiktok.com/@wisdm8/video/73 ... 2715912737

I asked her if girls these days would go for a boy like him? She said rough girls mostly like rough boys but there are exceptions. Some might like him.
Rough boys don't wear skirts. So no change there.
He would appeal to alternative girls. They would not have a problem with his clothes.
Even though some of those looks were... quite impractical, I think some of the attitude he gave off is what we need to see more of - a IDGAF unapologetic adoption of stuff he wants to wear. How much of this is for TikTok, though?
Agreed, agreed, on the first two points.
How much is this for Tik Tok? Most of it. It's all about likes, and followers? If he is successful then he gets what he really wants - revenue! If in doing that he promotes and gets greater acceptance by the young then its good all round.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Practicality. Maybe that's the real thing to get over. The idea that guys must always be practical. It's nonsense, but there it is. Much of menswear was once practical, but it's now just a formalized rut we are stuck in.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Dust wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:21 pm Practicality. Maybe that's the real thing to get over. The idea that guys must always be practical. It's nonsense, but there it is. Much of menswear was once practical, but it's now just a formalized rut we are stuck in.
I think it's more than that Dust. There is a perception that men become sexually excited when they wear anything feminine. Put crudely they "get off" on it. This gives a totally wrong impression of MIS.

There is a sensual side to the clothes "given" to women and they like / enjoy it. Men should be allowed to experince that without making them feel guilty and telling them its a fetish.

To combat this MIS must play close attention to their outfit. If we just throw on a mini skirt, tights and heels we have to expect some raised eyebrows. I get that some guys really like to dress in this way and it's a difficult one to resolve. I for one, don't want to deny them what they want to wear.

Personally I would be very sad if the skirt I could wear was tarten.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:43 pm
Dust wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:21 pm Practicality. Maybe that's the real thing to get over. The idea that guys must always be practical. It's nonsense, but there it is. Much of menswear was once practical, but it's now just a formalized rut we are stuck in.
I think it's more than that Dust. There is a perception that men become sexually excited when they wear anything feminine. Put crudely they "get off" on it. This gives a totally wrong impression of MIS.

There is a sensual side to the clothes "given" to women and they like / enjoy it. Men should be allowed to experince that without making them feel guilty and telling them its a fetish.
Practicality and this other point have always been my main concerns:

Will people think my outfits are impractical for doing field IT work (on occasion, not often)?
Will people associate me with those weirdos who appear in the news?

The first I try to convince myself "being practical isn't a necessity" but I draw the line at pain/discomfort, which is a real thing with some clothing options

The second - this might be a touchy subject - and I don't want to start a contentious discussion - but a lot of the advertising around women is made for "the male gaze". Perhaps women's garments are made for women's benefit and they like the feeling - but I'd want to see some survey data of women to know for sure. I could point to numerous advertisements targeted at women with the words "soft luxurious" or "silky smooth" or even the words "sexy". This covers everything from care products to clothes. Women and their clothes have been sexualized, and therefore many things they wear or do have connotations. Whether we agree or not, or see it the same way is irrelevant. I don't quite agree with the "male gaze" idea in total - it makes men fully culpable for sexism in today's world, and I think men AND women are guilty of what we see today (some would argue - oppressor/oppressed, etc...). The opposite "female gaze" does not have any negative connotations - and I don't think women are any more perfect than men. I want to see both sides say this is a problem, both have contributed to it, and through a maturing of the culture, we can root out sexist behaviors and ideals. Advertising for men pushes different ideals - roughness, toughness, and strength, and all of those are opposite of what are advertised to women. Occasionally you'll see a tough ranch lady getting into her pickup truck, but the minute you have one male do something soft in a commercial you hear all kinds of trash about it on social media. My point really, what I think at least (opinion) is that this stereotype comes from how society looks and sees women as objects of desire, and that clothing is made an integral component of that desire.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:22 pm

Practicality and this other point have always been my main concerns:

Will people think my outfits are impractical for doing field IT work (on occasion, not often)?

The first I try to convince myself "being practical isn't a necessity" but I draw the line at pain/discomfort, which is a real thing with some clothing options

The second - this might be a touchy subject - and I don't want to start a contentious discussion - but a lot of the advertising around women is made for "the male gaze". Perhaps women's garments are made for women's benefit and they like the feeling - but I'd want to see some survey data of women to know for sure. I could point to numerous advertisements targeted at women with the words "soft luxurious" or "silky smooth" or even the words "sexy". This covers everything from care products to clothes. Women and their clothes have been sexualized, and therefore many things they wear or do have connotations. Whether we agree or not, or see it the same way is irrelevant. I don't quite agree with the "male gaze" idea in total - it makes men fully culpable for sexism in today's world, and I think men AND women are guilty of what we see today (some would argue - oppressor/oppressed, etc...). The opposite "female gaze" does not have any negative connotations - and I don't think women are any more perfect than men. I want to see both sides say this is a problem, both have contributed to it, and through a maturing of the culture, we can root out sexist behaviors and ideals. Advertising for men pushes different ideals - roughness, toughness, and strength, and all of those are opposite of what are advertised to women. Occasionally you'll see a tough ranch lady getting into her pickup truck, but the minute you have one male do something soft in a commercial you hear all kinds of trash about it on social media. My point really, what I think at least (opinion) is that this stereotype comes from how society looks and sees women as objects of desire, and that clothing is made an integral component of that desire.
My wife doesn't like to have mirrors around the house, with the result that the only one is that above the wash-basin in the bathroom - I get a view of my face and neck as I shave, but nothing else. So I rarely get to see how I appear to the world, and my principal concern with my clothing is not "how will others see me?" but rather issues of comfort and practicality. I simply like the feeling of a skirt on my bare legs (I never wear tights or socks) and I always wear sandals, summer and winter. In the past four years I have worn trousers just twice, both times for funerals. Until this autumn I favoured rather short skirts, up to mid-thigh, but I am now starting to wear them more often at the knee or even slightly below. I dress to be calm and at peace with myself and the world around me.

Now, I don't wish to appear to be impossibly virtuous, but, as a very long-lapsed believer, I still retain some memories of the bible; Matthew 5:27-28 says “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart", and I follow the intent of this sentiment. I think that I do manage to resist looking at women with a male gaze, and simply consider them as my equals in the community. Overt sexiness (female, or even male) in dress or demeanour are off-putting to me. Nor do I feel compelled to exhibit those "different ideals - roughness, toughness, and strength" in my own self, either public or private. Perhaps people do comment behind my back or on social media, but I am totally unaware of it.

After all, most of us are only being genitally sexual for a very very small part of the day, and for the rest of the 24 hours we use clothes to cover up those bits from the public sight; if we wear clothes for reasons of modesty or because the law compels us to do so, then the actual nature of these coverings should be immaterial, provided they do the job and satisfy the requirements of comfort and practicality.
Familyman34
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

familyman34 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:18 pm ...I dress to be calm and at peace with myself and the world around me.

Now, I don't wish to appear to be impossibly virtuous, but, as a very long-lapsed believer, I still retain some memories of the bible; Matthew 5:27-28 says “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart", and I follow the intent of this sentiment. I think that I do manage to resist looking at women with a male gaze, and simply consider them as my equals in the community. Overt sexiness (female, or even male) in dress or demeanour are off-putting to me. Nor do I feel compelled to exhibit those "different ideals - roughness, toughness, and strength" in my own self, either public or private. Perhaps people do comment behind my back or on social media, but I am totally unaware of it.
Agreed with all of your points! I think there are ways to approach how women - and men - are treated and seen in society that don't involve demeaning entire swaths of people (how "male gaze" is often used).

I will say though, it's not any of us here that have to be convinced that there is no sensual component to MIS - it's the rest of the population.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:22 pm Practicality and this other point have always been my main concerns:

Advertising in the US probably is probably not the same as the UK, at least not as blatant. There are the same terms: soft, sensual, luxurious etc. I also remember what you are saying about male gaze but I don't see much of that sort of advertising anymore. It has been replaced here by advertising that belittles men. Men are portrayed as fools and women looking on with pursed lips. It's makes sense in advertising terms. After all, women do most of the purchasing and stores are stocked 70/30 in their favour.

Mostly though I don't see as much advertising as I used to see. Netflix is advert free. I don't watch much terrestrial TV anymore and the sanctioned news is very biased. Instead I do a round Robin of internet based news.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:50 pm Mostly though I don't see as much advertising as I used to see. Netflix is advert free. I don't watch much terrestrial TV anymore and the sanctioned news is very biased. Instead I do a round Robin of internet based news.
I am occasionally exposed to terrestrial TV - some news channels, hallmark via sling, and of course the random YouTube commercial. Add on junky advertising from Instagram, and bog-standard email marketing (ie, from retailers like Anthropologie) and there is plenty of the same old style of advertising. I agree there has been an improvement in the type and focus, but it seems most fashion retailers are stuck in the same old same old.

I’m trying not to judge people - all I’m trying to say is that the “ideas” surrounding certain clothing items have caused them to take on connotations - for better or for worse.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:52 pm
Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:50 pm Mostly though I don't see as much advertising as I used to see. Netflix is advert free. I don't watch much terrestrial TV anymore and the sanctioned news is very biased. Instead I do a round Robin of internet based news.
I am occasionally exposed to terrestrial TV - some news channels, hallmark via sling, and of course the random YouTube commercial. Add on junky advertising from Instagram, and bog-standard email marketing (ie, from retailers like Anthropologie) and there is plenty of the same old style of advertising. I agree there has been an improvement in the type and focus, but it seems most fashion retailers are stuck in the same old same old.

I’m trying not to judge people - all I’m trying to say is that the “ideas” surrounding certain clothing items have caused them to take on connotations - for better or for worse.
I've realised it's in my head. My perception of how people see me is based on how I think or perceive they see me. It's not actually how they see me. It's large in my head but really I probably barely register in their heads. They see me, think whatever and move on. It's so small it's not worth worrying about.
So yes there are connotations but not for long.

The more natural I look the less of an impact I will have on others. That's what i want; to enjoy my clothes and look good. Your clothes look good, they are neat and business like. I think you are worrying unnecessarily?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:59 pm The more natural I look the less of an impact I will have on others. That's what i want; to enjoy my clothes and look good. Your clothes look good, they are neat and business like. I think you are worrying unnecessarily?
Not really - I don’t have these sorts of worries much more. I do however think it’s part of the reason that men don’t experiment more with “forbidden” clothing options. I think getting to the reason why people think this way can be an avenue to dispelling these fears and stigmas.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

A lot of what women wear is about impressing other women or boosting their own confidence. Don't underestimate this.
Coder wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:22 pm ... Perhaps women's garments are made for women's benefit and they like the feeling - but I'd want to see some survey data of women to know for sure. I could point to numerous advertisements targeted at women with the words "soft luxurious" or "silky smooth" or even the words "sexy". This covers everything from care products to clothes. ...
And all those descriptors you use (even "sexy") are things women want for themselves. Not to get a man, but for themselves. The attention from men is just a bonus.

They will go and get a pedicure in the middle of winter with no plan for anyone else to see it.* They will wear "sexy" undergarments on an ordinary day just for themselves. Sometimes it isn't about impressing anyone. In our society, women have been taught to do things for themselves. To treat themselves now and then.

For us guys to think it's all about us is incredibly self centered. But women are happy to let us think that, so we feel special....

*It's a realization I had only recently that the pedicure isn't even about the paint...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Dust wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:32 am A lot of what women wear is about impressing other women or boosting their own confidence. Don't underestimate this.
I'm mulling over everything you said - I don't doubt what you wrote, and some of it I've read and contemplated. Still, I'd like some external validation from some women. Not sure how I'd validate it, though. I can't quite go around quizzing them :lol:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:23 am
Dust wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:32 am A lot of what women wear is about impressing other women or boosting their own confidence. Don't underestimate this.
I'm mulling over everything you said - I don't doubt what you wrote, and some of it I've read and contemplated. Still, I'd like some external validation from some women. Not sure how I'd validate it, though. I can't quite go around quizzing them :lol:
Dust is 100% correct Coder, we have a lot to learn from the female attitude to clothes.
Validation really starts with you, dress to impress Coder!
Looking and more crucially, feeling good creates a radiance that can be infectious.
What's more, although we don't discuss, it starts from the skin out and that should never be forgotten.
Practical clothing is fine in it's proper place but luxury is for enjoying your life.
MIS just happen to have a distinct handle on it.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:45 am
Coder wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:23 am
Dust is 100% correct Coder, we have a lot to learn from the female attitude to clothes.
Validation really starts with you, dress to impress Coder!
Looking and more crucially, feeling good creates a radiance that can be infectious.
What's more, although we don't discuss, it starts from the skin out and that should never be forgotten.
Practical clothing is fine in it's proper place but luxury is for enjoying your life.
MIS just happen to have a distinct handle on it.
Steve.
I think understanding the relationship between clothes and how people are viewed by other people in clothed is fundamental for the future of MiS
I don't disagree with anything above but how is it relevant to us? I think it is less important to men how a woman dresses, other than her attractiveness. Men don't assess a woman's long term viability as a mate from what she is wearing. Women do.
I'm not looking for a mate, I have my wife and kids so a different outlook on life than a 20 something guy. What I can do is be seen with my wife and kids in a skirt and maybe a few women will say; "he's doing it so maybe it's ok?" It has to be done with style though.

Now how do I find some style??