Gender based dress code implemented -- it has happened

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Gender based dress code implemented -- it has happened

Post by Faldaguy »

In other threads we have been speculating about the trends arising from the LGBTQ+ and abortion protests and the implications for MIS: Well, Moon sadly predicted this:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... graduation
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gender based dress code implemented -- it has happened

Post by Stu »

I can see both sides of the argument here. While I would allow the student who is confirmed transgender to dress as the sex she regards herself, there is a point that these affairs are nothing if tradition is not followed; otherwise, why be prescriptive on dress at all?

Both sides need to talk. And both sides need to be willing to see the other side and show respect and flexibility.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

The amount of money and time spent on making the lives of what is perhaps 1% of the population difficult is crazy. There are so many more important things going on. This whole thing is, at its root, a non-problem.

The dress code is trying to achieve a goal, but really, if people come dressed appropriate for the spirit of the event, where's the problem? If the school had not made a point of it, would anyone have noticed?

The concept of talking is good, but what is there to talk about? It's all virtue signalling by the school as far as I can tell.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, that sucks. She missed a once in a lifetime opportunity simply on account of human prejudice tied to arbitrary customs. It seems females are required to wear dresses, thus this technically isn't discrimination as the dress code restricts both genders equally. And since "transgender women" is just a "made up" concept in the minds of the powers that be, then there is no case. You can't discriminate against a transgender woman because transgender women don't exist. They are men.... at least to people who hold the same view as this administrator and most ___________s. [0]

It is what it is I guess. The boss isn't always right, but he's always the boss.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new under the sun, even in socially __________ [0] states this has been happening for a while.

See this article from 2016 regarding the exact same situation happening in Hawaii:

https://abc11.com/news/transgender-stud ... s/1305204/

Let's face it, when you're a trans-woman/girl in America, you're a second class citizen.

But hey... at least they are allowed to pay their equal share of taxes.

As "men in skirts", I figure most of us would have just worn the pants as required, as this would have been a "one off" situation. Considering I do wear pants when the situation may call for it, I imagine I would have just worn pants... maybe.... I don't know, it kinda bugs me now. At issue is, there are only two choices, the pants or a long white dress, a dress I'm almost certain would look ridiculous on me. Yeah, I'm a skirt guy not a dress guy, and as skirts weren't on the menu either way, I reckon I would have just worn the pants.

You know, it's kinda ironic because as I recall, when I graduated, while yes the boys wore pants and girls generally wore skirts, but at the actual ceremony, we walked across the stage with a gown on...you know.. A DRESS.

Oh well... I feel for her, but that's life I guess. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail. Get used to it honey. Hopefully she'll find work in a field where she can be herself, and leave all of this behind. Take comfort, high school graduation isn't the milestone it used to be, It's kind of going the way of the "middle school graduation". If you don't have a college education you really can't find a decent job anyway anymore. Hopefully she'll attend college and will be allowed to express her gender properly upon her college graduation.

I would say "leave Mississippi", but as I indicated above, prejudice can rear its ugly head anywhere. My advice would be for her to hold her head up, and don't allow this to make her into a bitter person. Be the person people want to fight for.

[0] Censored so as not to trigger anybody. I'm trying to behave.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I dunno - I can be a traditionalist sometimes... but the whole idea of kids wearing the same clothing, women in white dresses and men in identical pants/shirts.... just screams CULT to me, but then again, I'm a simple person and don't put much stock in that sort of behavior.

And yes - the irony - not allowed dresses, but here "put on this gown".
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I like to think that in some English universities the other students might have boycotted the ceremony in support.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

rode_kater wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:31 am The concept of talking is good, but what is there to talk about?
You can talk about a certain set of agreed rules that everyone can accept.

As an example - a genuine trans girl can wear a dress and "genuine" means is effectively living 100% of the time as a girl, uses a girl's name etc. I could understand that they don't want the event turning into a circus, with young males declaring themselves non-binary etc and turning up in a dress while sporting a beard, or a female student who just prefers to wear pants declaring herself trans on the day for that purpose.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:06 pm I dunno - I can be a traditionalist sometimes... but the whole idea of kids wearing the same clothing, women in white dresses and men in identical pants/shirts.... just screams CULT to me, but then again, I'm a simple person and don't put much stock in that sort of behavior.
Yeah, people are strange. I can vaguely remember my high school graduation, it almost didn't happen for me as I had my first round with my former family (the one I emancipated myself from) back during my senior year. They ran me out of town once and I had to finish school in a different county under a different school system. (yes they were a VERY rotten clan) Despite finishing high school at Pulaski County High School, I received my diploma from Liberty High School (Bedford County) as I had already attended all but the last couple months at Liberty.

They basically had to take a few extra steps to ensure I would be included in the commencement ceremony. I would have graduated either way as I had enough credits per state law, but there was a technicality regarding from which school I would graduate from. However I never did get my photo in the senior year book in either system. Meh... it is what it is.

Needless to say, turning up in a dress would have overly complicated matters.

Looking back, I can say that high school really didn't matter much. I would tell this young lady to take heart. My life really didn't begin until after I graduated, and I'd bet that most have a similar sentiment if they really thought about it. I learned more about life after graduation than I ever did through school. I can see the ceremony being important for some people, but as a mid aged guy who has never been accused of being "Mr. Popular", I can say that in my opinion, it's overrated.

It's kinda like a wedding. My first wife and I got married in a church with all the traditional fanfare that goes with a wedding. Family on both sides, fancy dinners, a church ceremony by a minister, a reception at the end where everyone got together to be merry and celebrate the occasion. It was a "textbook wedding", for a marriage that would end about a year later when she walked out on me never to return. I wasn't even drinking age yet.

I would later meet Liz, and on May 16, 2003, we got married on a carport at our home by a celebrant. We had a handful of friends, I actually worked that day (I worked for a sheet metal fabricator in Roanoke at the time). We had cheese burgers, fries, beer, and music on the phonograph.

It was a VERY informal wedding for a marriage that has lasted 20 years and counting.

Ceremony isn't everything. Life... life is so much more than pomp.
Stu wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:12 pm I could understand that they don't want the event turning into a circus, with young males declaring themselves non-binary etc and turning up in a dress while sporting a beard, or a female student who just prefers to wear pants declaring herself trans on the day for that purpose.
Agreed, and ideally a nonbinary person should be okay with that. It's one of the advantages of being enby, the ability to blend when needed. And if an enby person were to take issue with what I said here, then I'd have to remind them that "they can't always get what they want". Life doesn't work that way, sometimes you have to play by someone else's rules.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yeah, the more I think about it, good on LB for standing her ground. She may not have been able to attend the ceremony, but it sounds like she was in a catch22, even if she had worn the male clothes as instructed then "she" wouldn't have attended the ceremony anyway, the person that attended would have been the person that the school system wanted her to be, it would have been "him". And that would have been an insult to her dignity.

No... she's worth more than that. She would have hated herself for life for yielding her soul in such a manner. Unfortunately there is no way out of this other than to rise above it. Either way it will live on as an unpleasant memory and that can't be helped nor remedied. She's going to have to learn how to forgive them and move on with her life. I know that can be hard... God knows I know. It just takes time, a lot of time.

I know this could happen anywhere, but I think I'd get the hell out of that town just on principle alone.

See, that's the problem when we FORCE someone to cater to our whims in such matters. We never really get to see people for who they really are, we only see them for who we're forcing them to be. It's very unjust for everyone involved, the ruler and the ruled.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Further research..

I stand corrected. Turns out that girls ARE allowed to wear pants...
cnn_dress.jpg
Full Source

Also Coder, yes, these clothes are to be worn UNDER the cap and gown.

It is truly ridiculous that the school system wouldn't budge on this, it was nothing but meanness plain and simple. What a shame. My heart goes out to her. But I guess it's too late now. The ceremony has likely already come and gone, it's done and finished. She's just going to have to move on with her life and brush this one off. If she lets the anger and bitterness consume her than the bigots win again, that's what they want, to demoralize their victims, to make them hate their lives and hate the people that they are. In this regard, LB has the power to control the situation. Rise above it, that's all she can do.

The video coverage also interviews the teenage girl, I can say that she would have looked out of place in a male uniform.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

And, right there, in black and white, the idiots codify the hypocrisy of the double-standard. Either go entirely "traditional" (i.e. no pants on girls/women) or drop the whole thing. This just reinforces the fact that girls get a pass on these sorts of shenanigans.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:37 pm This just reinforces the fact that girls get a pass on these sorts of shenanigans.
Girls and women get away with everything.

Including, having sex with 13 year old boys.

If that was a man, they would have buried him under the prison.

If that was a transgender woman, they would have buried her under the prison AND at least 40 states would enact a whole new onslaught of anti-trans legislation, making life even more difficult for other transgender women that had nothing to do with it.

But... it's a female, so you know...

RULES FOR THEE NOT FOR ME!

HA! And she GOT PREGNANT! You know what that means?? She'll be going after the 13 year old for CHILD SUPPORT...

AND SHE'LL GET IT!
-Andrea
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Stu wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:12 pm As an example - a genuine trans girl can wear a dress and "genuine" means is effectively living 100% of the time as a girl, uses a girl's name etc. I could understand that they don't want the event turning into a circus, with young males declaring themselves non-binary etc and turning up in a dress while sporting a beard, or a female student who just prefers to wear pants declaring herself trans on the day for that purpose.
I disagree. I agree with this article: I don’t feel like I was born into the wrong body. There’s not a right or wrong way to be trans. To suggest that being trans requires a specific type of transition is to enforce a hierarchy that is ultimately elitist. We'll let you out of one box and put you in another.

Nobody was suggesting turning the event into a circus. One person asked the question. The reasonable response would have been: sure, just show due respect for the event and don't draw attention to yourself. I don't understand why people think being inclusive means that everything becomes a circus.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rode_kater wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:50 pmNobody was suggesting turning the event into a circus. One person asked the question. The reasonable response would have been: sure, just show due respect for the event and don't draw attention to yourself. I don't understand why people think being inclusive means that everything becomes a circus.
Realistically, nobody other than small-minded "administrators" would even take notice. One batch of high-school kids looks very much like any other batch of high-school kids to everyone but their families and friends. Furthermore, the underlying attire would be hidden by the ceremonial gown. Thus, the entire thing is essentially a meaningless and mean-spirited political statement by the local school board and really ought to be ignored by anyone with a sufficient IQ.

Yet another tempest in a teapot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Stu wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:37 am I can see both sides of the argument here. While I would allow the student who is confirmed transgender to dress as the sex she regards herself, there is a point that these affairs are nothing if tradition is not followed; otherwise, why be prescriptive on dress at all?

Both sides need to talk. And both sides need to be willing to see the other side and show respect and flexibility.
It has nothing to do with tradition. It has everything to do with the student's gender identity which is female.