How do you wear your skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

How do you wear your skirt?

Post by Midas »

When I began to wear skirts my wife advised me how they should be worn, saying it should be at the waist rather than on the hips like trousers. While some skirts are designed to sit on the hips, most are intended to sit on the true waist. All of mine sit on the waist and are more comfortable than garments that sit on the hip.

It seems to me from other threads that many of you wear skirts on the hip. It is also possible that some of you no longer have a waist, having expanded over the years.

By waist I mean about an inch or so above the navel.

I find that a skirt worn on the waist not only feels better but looks better, as it sits more naturally. What are your views and experiences?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How do you wear your skirt?

Post by Coder »

For me it's a function of how long they are, the waist size, and how they were intended to be worn.

If they are short - hips. My legs are long, and I feel self-conscious with a skirt that's too short.

If the waist is too small, navel - but if too wide - hips. Darting would help this situation (ie, make them more waist-sized).

If they were intended to be worn higher up, lately I've paid attention to this and so have purchased appropriately-sized skirts, but mostly have been darting a few in order to help them stay up.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

My waist is at my navel.
If I wear anything above the waist, it would be one of my kilts.
Then the belt on the kilt, hits my 'natural' waist.
I have a few plaid skirts, which are a bit on the long side. I hike them up a bit
so my belt will be at my waist. For my size and comfort, the skirt length is at,
or just below, the knee. If I have to bend over, I do that at the hips.
(Tomorrows laundry doesn't need to be advertised.) I know, I know, bend at the
knees but, if I were to bend at my knees, I'ld never get back up.
I can't wear anything(pants-dress or casual, skirts) on my hips as they're smaller
than my waist.
Wear something on my hips :?:
Southward it goes :oops:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

I wear basically everything at the hips just like pants/shorts. I find it comfortable and to me it looks more masculine cause that’s where people expects men’s bottoms to sit. Just my opinion, Not right or wrong.
Last edited by ScotL on Sun May 14, 2023 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

At my waist, though there are a couple of short skits that were designed to be Hip Hugger skirts, only wear them around the house. :mrgreen:
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

phathack wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:26 am At my waist, though there are a couple of short skits that were designed to be Hip Hugger skirts, only wear them around the house. :mrgreen:
The skirt you are wearing on your avatar is pretty short. If your Hip Hugger skirts are much shorter than that one, I see your point.

I like short skirts, and wear them at natural waist or on the hips.

The Adidas Gender Neutral Sskirt.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I'll wear Bike Shorts under the shortest skirt and the bike shorts will show under the short skirt.
Maybe I'll remember to take a photo next time Im wearing one of those mini skirts.

e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I wear my skirts just above my hips, and most of them are at or just above my knees
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

For me, it tends to depend on the skirt.
For instance, my denim skirts are worn at the hip whereas skater & tennis skirts at worn at the waist.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Depends on the garment. High waisted pencil skirts at my tummy (navel) any lower then the tops of my tights would show :oops: for jeans skirts, the pockets sit at the top of my butt and generally the zip is short, so no need to wear them like a pair of jeans. If a micro mini skirt, then on my hips :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Midas wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:56 am When I began to wear skirts my wife advised me how they should be worn, saying it should be at the waist rather than on the hips like trousers. While some skirts are designed to sit on the hips, most are intended to sit on the true waist. All of mine sit on the waist and are more comfortable than garments that sit on the hip.

It seems to me from other threads that many of you wear skirts on the hip. It is also possible that some of you no longer have a waist, having expanded over the years.

By waist I mean about an inch or so above the navel.

I find that a skirt worn on the waist not only feels better but looks better, as it sits more naturally. What are your views and experiences?
As a rule, I like to wear skirts lower down around the hips. That's where they seem most comfortable to me. I have worn some that just needed to be worn higher either by design or for comfort's sake. But my preference is low and loose.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Most of my mini skirts are designed to be worn low waisted.
Generally low waisted skirts have a larger top (waist) measurement than high waisted ones of the same tagged size. Or conversely, some skirts are advertised as suit size 8 low waisted or size 10 high waisted.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

My waist is at my naval.
I wear my skirts at my natural waist.
Some may call that a high-waist but I never could
get used to 'hip-hugger' style, anything.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

an inch or two above my tummy button
my hips are wide so I have a easy fit for most skirts if they are not too straight. pencil is ok as long as its not straight.
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

e2k2houck wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:02 am I wear my skirts just above my hips, and most of them are at or just above my knees
I was hoping to quote the picture as that is a great skirt.

Like others, depends on the skirt, whether elastic waist or, or what word do I need, rigid? Stiff fabric? Depending on the waist band and size sitting placement can be different. But ranges from belly button to hips.