Summer dress

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Summer dress

Post by skirted84 »

I know its a common theme finding dresses for men but this is where the proportional difference between men and women is very noticeable. While men are taller on average, this all seems to be on top ie above the waist, whereas leg height is virtually the same. Thats why skirts often work on men and women with the same waist. The result I end up with a waist seam way above my actual waist and its really uncomfortable.

Do any makers strike lucky on this count?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Summer dress

Post by Coder »

skirted84 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:45 pm I know its a common theme finding dresses for men but this is where the proportional difference between men and women is very noticeable. While men are taller on average, this all seems to be on top ie above the waist, whereas leg height is virtually the same. Thats why skirts often work on men and women with the same waist. The result I end up with a waist seam way above my actual waist and its really uncomfortable.

Do any makers strike lucky on this count?
While I haven't the nerve to wear a dress as of yet, I have found a few styles that work.

Any dress without a defined waistline - these include sleeveless shift style, tank dresses, and bodycon (but bodycon sized up so they are loose and not form-fitting). See: https://clhu.com/products/everybody-tan ... 5486120143

Shirt dresses. See: https://www.untuckit.com/products/glyni ... 1734155342

Pinafore/skirtall: https://lucyandyak.com/en-us/products/d ... 3626871911

But mostly - any dress without a defined waistline.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I like the tank dress. Go for it.
I have see this which I would wear if it was knee length
https://m.jdsports.co.uk/product/black- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

There's also this one: https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/21701150/w ... hirt-dress which keeps popping up on my ADs.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I ordered this one and it fits really well.

I thought you might like this! Hurry, because it might sell out quick! https://www.naturallife.com/products/ka ... ard-floral
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Should I ever get to wear a dress - and they were available in my size - dresses like these should be my choice:

https://www.untuckit.com/products/glyni ... 1734155342

https://m.jdsports.co.uk/product/black- ... lsrc=aw.ds
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

This is my dress for today, summerish and very comfy too.
The location is a bus stop near the house around 7.00 am and the lady who took it also gave me a wee guardian angel lapel pin to help me over the coming weeks.
I don't think there can be much more out, about, loud and proud than this shows.
This is fashion freedom in action
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

STEVIE wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:12 pm This is my dress for today, summerish and very comfy too.
The location is a bus stop near the house around 7.00 am and the lady who took it also gave me a wee guardian angel lapel pin to help me over the coming weeks.
I don't think there can be much more out, about, loud and proud than this shows.
This is fashion freedom in action
Stevie, you inspired me to go out and about today, in a dress, tights and block-heeled shoes.

I normally don't feel completely comfortable in dresses, so usually wear skirts and a top instead, with tights and heels.

I walked over to a local supermarket to do some food shopping.

I stopped and chatted to several different folk but no-one offered to take my picture. So here is a description of the outfit.

The dress is in a khaki colour with a half-zipped funnel neck (zip partially opened). A sweater (shirt-like) mini dress with long sleeves. It hangs about 5 or 6 centimetres above my knees. Not belted.
Edit: I found a small picture of a model wearing the dress. I wish that my hair was as long as hers.
Khaki Half-Zip Funnel Neck Sweat Dress.jpg
Medium support tights (pantyhose) in a natural tan colour called bamboo.
I wore some block-heeled shoes in a mink colour. There is a picture of the shoes in my "Pics and Looks" thread.
I also had a largish, shoulder bag from Crumpler for my shopping, wallet and other things. No pockets in the shirt dress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Shadowfax
Good for getting out there but photos aren't mandatory or necessary for that matter.
The action and your enjoyment is the important parts.
It was a skirt for me today but no tights, great to get air around the old pins.
A dress really comes in to its own then.
Thanks, it is good to know when we achieve a positive.
Steve
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Stevie you are an inspiration for sure.
I have just bought a lily and me knee length linen and viscose, yellow and blue beauty but despite being given the nod from fab and Neptune I haven't worn it out. My latest adventure is over on Yonkas 'I had to share this look" thread.
As for dresses - I'd like that but no, not yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

BM
Just remember that dresses are just an extension of the choice.
One of my favourite female colleagues wears nothing but.
She never wears skirts at all and trousers only occasionally.
Nah, you are doing fine as it is.
Steve
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Looks great Steve. Approaching winter here although no doubt not as cold as you get there.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

Settled for 2 from Bonmarche (an "old ladies" shop but that says more about my shape than anything else) and this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08574BFPL/ ... eml_rv0_dp

which is a bit short and more of a long tshirt but fine for the Summer.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

shadowfax wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:55 am The dress is in a khaki colour with a half-zipped funnel neck (zip partially opened). A sweater (shirt-like) mini dress with long sleeves. It hangs about 5 or 6 centimetres above my knees. Not belted.
Edit: I found a small picture of a model wearing the dress. I wish that my hair was as long as hers.
Khaki Half-Zip Funnel Neck Sweat Dress.jpg
I went out early (6am), this morning to a different local shop to get milk. We British generally like tea with milk. :wink:

I wore a dress again. Exactly the same style as in my earlier post but in a navy blue colour.
Navy Half-Zip Funnel Neck Sweat Dress.jpg
This time I wore black tights (pantyhose) and some medium height, strappy stiletto heels.
The heels have a strap across the instep and at the ankle, so very secure to walk in.
The same medium-sized shoulder bag as before.

As I walked back home, a lady about the same age as me (I guess) was walking towards me. As we passed, I wished her a good morning.
She seemed to want to chat and enquired where I was going today and told me that she was going out for a trip with friends to somewhere scenic.
She said that I had nice legs. :)

Somehow or other we got talking about her osteoporosis. I said that I'd heard that HRT might help that condition.
She said that she had spoken to her male doctor about that but he had been rather dismissive and hadn't prescribed anything for her. She also told me that she had been suffering with the other side effects of the menopause.
I told her that I'd heard that in Britain, HRT had recently been made available over the counter without prescription though women have to have a chat with the pharmacist about suitability. She said that she would check that out. So a very useful conversation with her.

During the conversation it became clear to me that she assumed that I was homosexual because of the way that I was dressed.
I explained that I just enjoyed fashion freedom and that I was heterosexual.
Several times during the conversation she commented again about how nice my legs are. :)
I thanked her and said that I try hard to keep fit.

She asked my first name and gave me hers. She reached out her hand, we shook hands and went on our way. A very pleasant chat. :)

BTW. She was wearing a bifurcated garment on her lower body. :wink:

Osteoporosis: Brittle bones
HRT: Hormone Replacement Therapy