Rant

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Rant

Post by Barleymower »

I'm fuming because the more I learn about gendered clothing the more #!!@#f#!% I get.

Looking on ebay I can see immediately that this side of the pond ebay has 12million articles of women's clothing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Womens-Clothin ... bn_1632691

I then checked to see how many articles of mens clothing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Mens-Clothing/1059/bn_692593

There is no result there, you cannot find out how many articles there are for sale. The app has different numbers but still no mens result.

You might say yawn, boring but it doesnt take genius to work out they don't show the amount of mens clothing is because it is pitifully small market compared to the women's.

It also means there is a huge market there if someone can make it happen.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rant

Post by Midas »

Just look at the typical man in the street, with his grubby ill fitting jeans and drab shirtings.

That’s exactly why I wear dresses and skirts, to enjoy the freedom of colour, pattern and style.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

It’s obviously the same for any clothing store. The women’s clothing occupies floors while men have sections. Until more men question why they are so limited with what they can adorn their body with compared to women, this is our fashion lot in life.

I don’t know whether most men just really don’t care, or that mundane fashion choices are ingrained into male minds to the point of not knowing or expecting anything better.

If it existed, I would love to know the results of an anonymous men’s fashion poll that if we lived in a hypothetical society in which fashion stigmas didn’t exist, how many men would admit to wanting to wear attire that is labeled as womenswear.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Offkilter69 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:56 pm It’s obviously the same for any clothing store. The women’s clothing occupies floors while men have sections. Until more men question why they are so limited with what they can adorn their body with compared to women, this is our fashion lot in life.
I don’t know whether most men just really don’t care, or that mundane fashion choices are ingrained into male minds to the point of not knowing or expecting anything better.
If it existed, I would love to know the results of an anonymous men’s fashion poll that if we lived in a hypothetical society in which fashion stigmas didn’t exist, how many men would admit to wanting to wear attire that is labeled as womenswear.
Absolutely correct on all respects Offkilter.
As to the last point, a very high proportion. What is more, the ease of online purchase can only have pushed that even higher.
In a brick and mortar shop, the male customer "allegedly" buying for a female is rather easily distinguished.
The retailers are perfectly aware of this and until men can openly admit that they are purchasing for themselves not a lot will change.
Barleymower wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:13 am the more #!!@#f#!% I get.
BM, venting occasionally is good for the soul but do remember to keep breathing.
Sad to say though, there is little we can do except to challenge the norms and lead by example.
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Offkilter69 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:56 pm
I suspect that for many the second applies-the dullness is ingrained so deeply that they don't expect anything better. Starting is early childhood.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I agree with all of the above and I glad that I've given myself more choice even if I suffer a free dirty looks.
Point aside I quite enjoyed wearing my tarten skirt today. It was relaxing because largely it is accepted.

There is a huge untapped market out there if men gained fashion freedom. That can't be lost on retailers.

Would men wear skirts if it was acceptable? I know redit is a crock of garbage but somebody did a poll and 94% said "hell yes!" If they could get away with it.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:27 pm somebody did a poll and 94% said "hell yes!" If they could get away with it.
OK let's assume the figure is reasonably correct and we have a statement from one of them.
Hell yes, of course I'd wear a skirt but my mum, dad, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, cousin, girlfriend, boyfriend, neighbours, teachers, boss, minister, priest, imam, rabbi ,the world and his dog might not like it.
As long as men persist with the "get away with it" attitude, change is unlikely.
Retailers know that they can de-gender clothes ad nauseum to no avail so won't actually bother.
No profit no motive no change.
Hell will be an ice rink when that lot above give us unconditional permission to wear what we choose.
If you don't wish to wait, quit asking if it is okay, just do.
Steve.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Barleymower wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:13 am I'm fuming because the more I learn about gendered clothing the more #!!@#f#!% I get.

Looking on ebay I can see immediately that this side of the pond ebay has 12million articles of women's clothing:

There is no result there, you cannot find out how many articles there are for sale. The app has different numbers but still no mens result.

You might say yawn, boring but it doesnt take genius to work out they don't show the amount of mens clothing is because it is pitifully small market compared to the women's.

Here in Australia there is a retail clothing business that sent out a catalogue aimed at rural workers (men) for work and after work wear. They very quickly added a section at the back for the ladies also. The ladies section grew as they added more styles, designs and colours. Next the ladies section moved to the front of the catalogue and of course took more than 50% of the catalogue. Now we have moved on to online catalogues and purchasing so a little more difficult but it would appear there is much greater variety in the women's section.

In the last 12 months I have found a 'workwear' supplier with a different attitude. Their shirts are very colourful and great to wear but more importantly is their background and social initiative. https://trademutt.com . 50% of their profits are used for access to mental health support for 'tradies' - blue collar workers. The aim is to also get people talking to one another with their motto on every shirt "This is a conversation starter". And it works, so many people have started a conversation about the shirt but then moved on to other subjects and I get to wear something not bland and boring! I only buy the full colour ones not the HiVis versions.

Now, when I wear one with a skirt which one will get the attention and discussion?
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

The real issue with choice in menswear is that it is elf limiting. Variation is present, but there’s a limit to the colours and styles possible.

Compare this to clothes available in the womenswear department, where the choice is staggeringly wide. Just look at the variety of styles, colours and fabrics of dresses, which could not possibly be replicated in trousers, shirts etc. The choice of skirts is less wide but still much greater than for ‘menswear’. This is not just bias against men but a feature of what is actually possible.

The answer is to keep wearing skirts and dresses. Men generally either will or won’t catch on but who cares? I will keep wearing what I want.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I wear skirts and dresses, what you wear is your business, but don't fault me because you are uncomfortable in your trousers. If you think I give a damn about what you think of my clothing choice I don't! What stupid people with closed minds want to think is their problem, not mine.

Clothing does not have a gender or sex. It is made of threads of yarn, chemicals or animal products. When asked why I wear what I wear I tell them that it's clothes that make me happy, and if that makes them mad I just tell them to go away and don't bother me. Some times with harsh and nasty words.. I don't suffer fools nor allow them to bother me.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I started to wear skirts almost 3 years ago and now I wear them almost exclusively. I won't stop wearing them no matter what people think or say. I have had quite a few people ask me if I'm Scottish, and when I tell them no I get "oh" as a reply. I let them sit in there embarrassment for a minute before I tell them I wear them because they're comfortable. I am not expecting society to change quickly and accept men wearing skirts but when it comes down to it I don't care. The truth is now we get to see what woman went through to be able to wear pants. It's a shame that a small group of people have so much influence because they are pushier and can't mind their own business and force their beliefs on everyone else. I think that a lot of men that push against it so much is because they are threatened by seeing a man in a skirt or dress, they aren't confident in their sexuality. All's we can do is wear what we want and block out the haters.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

e2k2houck wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:22 pm I started to wear skirts almost 3 years ago and now I wear them almost exclusively. I won't stop wearing them no matter what people think or say. I have had quite a few people ask me if I'm Scottish, and when I tell them no I get "oh" as a reply. I let them sit in there embarrassment for a minute before I tell them I wear them because they're comfortable. I am not expecting society to change quickly and accept men wearing skirts but when it comes down to it I don't care. The truth is now we get to see what woman went through to be able to wear pants. It's a shame that a small group of people have so much influence because they are pushier and can't mind their own business and force their beliefs on everyone else. I think that a lot of men that push against it so much is because they are threatened by seeing a man in a skirt or dress, they aren't confident in their sexuality. All's we can do is wear what we want and block out the haters.
Some poll quoted 60% or so of men felt seeing a drag Queen made them question their masculinity. The problems not with the drag Queen. The problem is within the man who’s masculinity is threatened that simply.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

ScotL wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:54 am Some poll quoted 60% or so of men felt seeing a drag Queen made them question their masculinity. The problems not with the drag Queen. The problem is within the man who’s masculinity is threatened that simply.
And therein lays the problem!
Men have been brain washed for so long to be masculine and that being masculine means they are the stronger sex and anything that has any demeaning (to them) qualities about it is taboo. Just ask their WIVES!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Ozdelights wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:46 am
Barleymower wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:13 am I'm fuming because the more I learn about gendered clothing the more #!!@#f#!% I get.

Here in Australia there is a retail clothing business that sent out a catalogue aimed at rural workers (men) for work and after work wear. They very quickly added a section at the back for the ladies also. The ladies section grew as they added more styles, designs and colours. Next the ladies section moved to the front of the catalogue and of course took more than 50% of the catalogue. Now we have moved on to online catalogues and purchasing so a little more difficult but it would appear there is much greater variety in the women's section.

In the last 12 months I have found a 'workwear' supplier with a different attitude. Their shirts are very colourful and great to wear but more importantly is their background and social initiative. https://trademutt.com . 50% of their profits are used for access to mental health support for 'tradies' - blue collar workers. The aim is to also get people talking to one another with their motto on every shirt "This is a conversation starter". And it works, so many people have started a conversation about the shirt but then moved on to other subjects and I get to wear something not bland and boring! I only buy the full colour ones not the HiVis versions.

Now, when I wear one with a skirt which one will get the attention and discussion?
I worked in Rocky for a year and I could not see the good folks of Rockhampton welcoming a skirted hi vis guy in the local pub! I'd like to see the attempt though. It could go either way; either a load of great mates or upside down in a bin.
I've still got my hi vi's from my Capricorn Highway days. Maybe I'll try it.