WWII Training Film for US Soldiers - How to Behave in Britain

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

WWII Training Film for US Soldiers - How to Behave in Britain

Post by moonshadow »

https://youtu.be/ltVtnCzg9xw

Had some Scots in kilts.

Was wondering how much of this is still relevant today?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: WWII Training Film for US Soldiers - How to Behave in Britain

Post by Barleymower »

It's hardly changed. Apart from the effect of the smoking ban in pubs. That killed off lots of pubs. The supermarkets selling beers at budget prices closed all the off-licences and most of the pubs. There's still a few left though.
My Nan (born 1909 died 1979) spoke fondly of the East End pubs. She was from Bethnal Green. My nan loved a drink, she always had a bottle of gin in her handbag. She used to send me up the shops for 20 kensitas and some bluebird chews. "I'll throw you over that wall" she used to say.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I think it depends on where you are.  In the centre of a city it would be very different now -- but in some rural pubs things have hardly changed.  The underlying principles are still the same even though we obviously aren't under wartime conditions with all the restrictions and rationing.

Race and religion seem to be more deeply embedded in American life than in English life.  Whilst there is still some racism, it is the exception and most English people couldn't care less about skin colour.  I think racism has reduced a lot on both sides of the 'pond' since that film was made but religion is far less embedded in English life now, whereas it seems to have become more prominent in America.

There is another very subtle difference in everyday life which is difficult to pin down; we tend to seek permission for everything we do, rather than assuming we have every right to do it.  This is probably because we lack space and resources, so a lot of places and things have to be shared with strangers.  I don't think that came over in the film, but an American visitor commented on it to me after experiencing a car journey through some country lanes and the older, more crowded, parts of a city.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:29 pmThere is another very subtle difference in everyday life which is difficult to pin down; we tend to seek permission for everything we do, rather than assuming we have every right to do it.  This is probably because we lack space and resources, so a lot of places and things have to be shared with strangers.  I don't think that came over in the film, but an American visitor commented on it to me after experiencing a car journey through some country lanes and the older, more crowded, parts of a city.
I've not watched the training clip, but in situations like that I would resort to the "go along and get along" strategy. It's just common sense. I understand driving on narrow lanes/roads, and in that situation everything is cooperative -- and usually just works. Ditto in wintertime here where uphill traffic has priority over downhill traffic; it's a matter of politeness. Now, in that latter case, it's not always possible as I've learnt, and in that case, I've backed down hills to allow somebody else to descend because I saw that they could not reverse (a 4-wheel drive spinning all four futilely) -- and then took another running start at getting up the hill.

Generally speaking, civilised folks get along pretty well together.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

[...] a lot of places and things have to be shared with strangers. 
A diferent manifestation of the thing I was trying to describe occurred yesterday.  A group of us met at a café and the weather was fine enough for us to sit at an outside table (first time this year!).  As we were getting ready to leave, we stacked the used cutlery, plates and cups on a tray so that it would be convenient for the staff to pick up or so that it was easy for someone else to move out of the way if they needed to use the table immediately after us.

Nobody said anything about this, we just did it on auto-pilot as we carried on our conversation about other matters.  I expect if you asked any of the others they mightn't even remember they had done it.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

My (American) cousin used to work for the US government. When they went abroad on official business they were given a dossier to read on the country, the laws, the culture etc. Near the top of the list for a visit to the UK was a dire warning about drink driving. The text was along the lines of, although you may think its ok to have a few beers and then drive home in the US, don't contemplate the same in the UK. If you get caught, you are on your own on this one...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

FranTastic444 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:54 pm ...although you may think its ok to have a few beers and then drive home in the US, don't contemplate the same in the UK. If you get caught, you are on your own on this one...
Over the years the UK laws on drink driving have been progressively tightened up, reaching the point where very few people are prepared to take the risk.  Another reason why an American in the UK might not want to drink and then drive is that he will need all his wits about him, at least for the first few months.  

It isn't just remembering to drive on the other side of the road; the traffic lanes are narrower and some roads are only wide enough for two lorries to pass if one of them pulls into the hedgerow.  In small towns and villages there are places where the roads are so narrow that you have to stop to let other traffic come through -- and other places where the roads have been artificially narrowed with built-out pavements [sidewalks] to force motorists to continually stop and start.  In some places there are no pavements, so pedestrians mix with the traffic.  In towns, pedestrians have priority over motorists and pedal-cyclists believe they have priority over everything, including the Laws of Physics.

Parking spaces are at a premium and many of them are too short for a large estate car [station wagon] or so narrow that you would damage the adjacent vehicles if you opened the doors carelessly. Even if you find a space where you can park easily, you may return to find the cars in front and behind have been replaced by two more who have parked with their bumpers [fenders] almost touching yours;  European cars have a tight turning circle for a good reason.  Automatic gearboxes are becoming more common nowadays, but you might find your choice of vehicles is limited if you don't know how to drive with a manual gearbox.  At least you no longer have to double-declutch when changing down a gear, but that habit still stays with a few drivers, including me.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

When I started work in the UK in 1965 there was just one decent stretch of motorway, the M1, which didn't even get you from North of London as far as Birmingham, but it had initially no limit on it and they had just invented the Jaguar E-type!

Needless to say it wasn't long before they clapped a 70MPH limit on it which remains to this day. I subsequently worked and lived in Germany for eight years and Autobahn travel there was a lesson in guarded freedom. It still is. Attendant on being able to blithely cruise at 120MPH or thereabouts past a police patrol car is a privilege belonging only to the Germans, but attention to the rear-view mirrors is vital before any overtaking manoeuvre, as very often there is a dot there traveling at 150+MPH which will materialise in seconds into a Porsche or similar, pounding along in the lane you were about to enter.

At that time having a few beers on a Friday evening after a week's work was common and we all drove home afterwards. Enter Barbara Castle, who introduced the drink-driving legislation which is still with us. 80Mg per liter or something like that meant that one pint of beer or one glass of wine was as much as you could have and they also introduced the breathalyser. Most pubs survived by offering food as well as drink.

Over here we have had our limit reduced to 50Mg per liter, which puts even one pint out of court. Enter the 'Designated Driver'....The one who abstains in order to be able to pilot a carload home safely. That has thankfully become the norm and road casualty rates have plummeted as a result.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I stopped at 2:45 when the American started referring to England and not Britain, despite the heading of the video clip. I can only assume that the rest is drivel. I shall not watch it.

England is not the same as Britain. If you think they are the same, you are ignorant, a cretin, or worse.
Last edited by Ray on Sun May 07, 2023 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Ray wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:33 pm England is not the same as Britain. If you think they are, you are ignorant, a cretin, or worse.
...or English.  It surprises me how many English people don't know that or have to stop and think about it.

The rule is:
If it is something good, you must refer to it as British. e.g. British aid is saving thousands of lives.
If it is something bad, you must refer to it as English.  e.g. English weather is depressing.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

pelmut wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:11 am The rule is:
If it is something good, you must refer to it as British. e.g. British aid is saving thousands of lives.
If it is something bad, you must refer to it as English.  e.g. English weather is depressing.
My part-Scottish wife often used to snap "British" at me when I said "English". Eventually I pointed out that sometimes I didn't know what the position was in relation to Scotland, and really did mean "English". I think she's got the message.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I found that little film a bit contrived and I lost interest about half-way through.

My 'Home Counties' lass and I came and took up permanent residence here in 1995, some 28 years ago now. Our social circle, built from acquaintances met through Choirs, music groups, Archaeological Society, U3A, Church, Book clubs, Tennis club, Bridge clubs, Sailing &c has well over 50% Brit. ex-pats in it. Most are English, but a few are Scots and Welsh.
Post Covid, once again we have resumed our own twice-annual party-round, the New Year one having a max. of 30 trouble-makers, but the Summer one, to more-or-less coincide with my birthday can be larger, as the garden is big enough to get lost in. Conversations don't dwell on the political or any sensitivities, but benefit enormously from the diverse life experiences the guests have had, more than a few having spent time in Africa, for instance. Food and drink are essential lubricants of course, but nowadays lots of soft drinks are on offer (Designated drivers again!)

Most are musical (Surprise!) and impressive contributions are very entertaining as the Sun goes down.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !