Must Read Alaska: Alaska Airlines will allow male flight attendants to wear skirts and beards

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Must Read Alaska: Alaska Airlines will allow male flight attendants to wear skirts and beards

Post by pelmut »

Stu wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:48 pm At one time, I didn't believe there was such a thing as an "anti-trans" person. I have since discovered I was wrong about that. There are such people around and their attitudes are mainly borne or ignorance. They can be extremely unpleasant and they should be challenged if and when they exhibit their prejudices.
It is unfortunate that, although there are not very many people like that, a disproportionate number of them are in positions of influence.  The UK anti-trans lobby includes prominent members of Mumsnet, the BBC, the Government and the Opposition.  The noisy pressure groups of only a few hundred lesbians keep up a constant stream of misinformation and the press laps it up and publishes it as fact.  Two successive ministers for women and equality have ignored the facts presented to them by their own investigative committees and adopted the policies of the hate groups instead.

This is why trans-people are worried; dealing with the occasional ignorant idiot is just part of life, but some of those people are now trying to incorporate their hatred into the laws of this country in the belief that it will win them votes.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Response to ScotL

Post by Grok »

Two women arrested for wearing pants-80 years apart.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Response to ScotL

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:19 pmTwo women arrested for wearing pants-80 years apart.
Paywall.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Must Read Alaska: Alaska Airlines will allow male flight attendants to wear skirts and beards

Post by Coder »

I swear I've joked about a "license to wear a skirt" in the past... but this literally happened to a woman in France, but with pants:

https://beingbold.me/rosa-bonheur-wears-the-pants/

This was mentioned in the comments section of that article.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Response to ScotL

Post by ScotL »

Grok wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:19 pm Two women arrested for wearing pants-80 years apart.
Hopefully it won’t take over 80 years for MIS to become “legal”
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:51 pm
Fashion freedom has to be taken step by step, if you want to challenge the binary stereotypes rather than simply crossing the aisle. Gender-signalling is a thing, whether you resent it or not, and I am prepared to cross only one or two lines at the same time.
I have to wonder about men wearing jewelry or nail polish. Are they deliberately pushing the boundary in only one area?

Recently, I noticed a man wearing-not one or two-but multiple rings who was working in a bank. I suspect that management tolerated that because of his clothing-a dull, conventional/traditional suit.

Men with nail polish? The men I noticed were wearing stereotypical drab male garb.

As to the future, I will note that jewelry (other than the meager choices of convention) could enter the mainstream incrementally, one item at a time.

Another possibility for personal expression is eye wear. (As I recall Moonshadow started a thread about this). This one may be relatively easy for society to accept because gendering of eyewear hasn't been a thing.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Grok wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:37 pm
Another possibility for personal expression is eye wear. (As I recall Moonshadow started a thread about this). This one may be relatively easy for society to accept because gendering of eyewear hasn't been a thing.
Is this really true? I have noticed in every optical store that women's and men's eyeglasses are separated, sometimes on different sides of the store. I wear frameless glasses. Those are the only type of frames that are not gendered.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

jamie001 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:36 pm
Grok wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:37 pm ...gendering of eyewear hasn't been a thing.
Erm: Dame Edna Everage?
jamie001 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:36 pm Is this really true? I have noticed in every optical store that women's and men's eyeglasses are separated, sometimes on different sides of the store. I wear frameless glasses. Those are the only type of frames that are not gendered.
There is an overlap of styles in eyewear, and there aren't many styles that seem explicitly masculine (though there are some, such as the round tortoiseshell type associated with mid-20th century male intellectuals), but there are plenty of feminine markers, whether blatant (sparkles and curves) or subtle (lens proportions and axial angles). Glasses with pointed corners are always classed as feminine.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I stand corrected.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Grok wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:55 pm I stand corrected.
Yeah… but available colors for men are expanding. I have a few pairs of eyeglasses that cover the spectrum of “men’s to women’s” and they were picked based on style/colors I liked. You might not see a turquoise plastic cat eye frame in the men’s (search coach topaz turquoise for a “lite” variation on that theme) but nowadays you might see a turquoise pair of squarish glasses. I have the coach version, and seeing random guys with funky colors has given me all the leeway to wear whatever I like.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:51 pmErm: Dame Edna Everage?
Ahh....The Wit and Wisdom of Dame Edna :D

This hasn't been posted before (that I could find).

Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage creator dies

Greatest moments of comedy icon Barry Humphries

He/She will be missed :(

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I agree. Superb wit.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I seem to remember someone once mentioning sunglasses. How is that situation?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I am 66 years old. I will be very pleased if I see a few plain skirts become borderline mainstream, before I die. Given the long road ahead...the steep hill to climb...that is the most I can hope to see during my lifetime. If I feel very optimistic, that is the most I think might survive a back lash, if barely.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Actually, I have to wonder if what gains traction next may be one of these halfway house rigs..."stealth skirts"...skirt-over-trouser outfits...crutches, in effect. Well, that might be better than nothing.