Must Read Alaska: Alaska Airlines will allow male flight attendants to wear skirts and beards

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Must Read Alaska: Alaska Airlines will allow male flight attendants to wear skirts and beards

Post by Coder »

https://mustreadalaska.com/alaska-airli ... nd-beards/

This one is interesting - the individual who sued is nonbinary (please, let's not devolve the conversation) but the outcome was actually in everyone's favor:
As part of the settlement, the company will modify its uniform policy to remove all gender-based restrictions and language related to uniform pieces, facial hair, jewelry, and makeup.
Yeah, "anything goes" but it also could be a slow-roll precedent that eventually hits all airlines.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Must Read Alaska: Alaska Airlines will allow male flight attendants to wear skirts and beards

Post by Barleymower »

They had to throw it in there didn't they..
"he can come to work in drag"

No he can't come to work in drag. Drag is clothing / costumes worn by drag artists..he will be going to work in the specified company uniform. He / they should neat and tidy within those prescribed limits.

Little mean sentences like that are thrown in to fire people up and start arguments.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Must Read Alaska: Alaska Airlines will allow male flight attendants to wear skirts and beards

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:02 pm Little mean sentences like that are thrown in to fire people up and start arguments.
That's nothing (I somehow missed that line in the article) - check out the dumpster fire of a comments section.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Not really surprising (the comments). Isn’t Alaska redneck central? They came up with that Palin woman for example….which is where the term Palintology comes from - remarkably similar in meaning to paleantology…. the study of old fossils…. ;-)
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:32 pm
Barleymower wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:02 pm Little mean sentences like that are thrown in to fire people up and start arguments.
That's nothing (I somehow missed that line in the article) - check out the dumpster fire of a comments section.
Pitchforks and torches. Standard equipment for angry mobs.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Again I'm disappointed to see but not surprised to see.
It turned into political and woke issue
Let's wave that alpha bet flag.
Sick of pride this that and the other.
Gender and Identity, non binary.

Ultimately men in skirts loose out in a fanfare blasted announcement like this.

MIS loose period.

Again this reinforces the women wear skirts men don't.

Identifying others wear skirts, women wear skirts, little girls wear skirts. But men do not wear skirts.

MIS don't and never will have a voice loud enough to compete with this.

My wife has it ingrained in her mind because I want to wear skirts I want to be a woman or Identify as one.

NO plainly put I just like skirts.
No, change in identity, sex or gender, I just like skirts.
That gets buried in the airlines announcements etc stuff.
I, we lose the opportunity to quietly wear our skirts as MIS.

Because when stuff like this boils over, we are seen as one of them. And not just the man we are.

Its ironic.
It's funny not funny that women are finally getting a little taste of their own medicine. Men have had to quietly endure some of the following.
Women wanted to play sports with men, work with men, wear jeans like men, have short haircuts like men, be able to vote and have a say in things like men. Probably many more.

Woman power, woman strong, you go girl, save the ta tas

But they cry no fair and foul, when a man wants to do anything to reverse.
Women in camouflage and at the gun range is ok.
But God forbid If one of us shows up at a coffee shop in a denim skirt. Or has one too many stuffed animals and not enough action figures and Base ball cards.
It's sexist to say man power. Wear Blue and promote testicular or prostate checks.

I support men's and women's only spaces. In sports, and bathrooms, and medical wellness.

We are meant to be a team,
But we both need that kind of neutral area where we can just be, just exist.

What we don't need is this he, she, they, them divisions further dividing society. In short
Humanity picks fights over the most stupidist stuff.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:51 pm What we don't need is this he, she, they, them divisions further dividing society.
In short Humanity picks fights over the most stupidest stuff.
AMEN! Brother!!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

I’m not familiar with mustreadalaska.com but I’m guessing their readers are far on the right side of the political spectrum.

Why do I say that?

Here’s the quotes that seem like this article is solely written to stir up their readers by mentioning hot button topics.

1. “a flight attendant and instructor at the airline, believes he is “nonbinary””

Quotes on “non-binary”?

2. “Nonbinary means the person does not believe there are only male and female mammals.”

Seems like this is a definition like explaining what a dog is to someone by saying that dogs are not cats. Maybe I’m just off. But mammals?

3. “He may also pair that beard with lipstick and makeup, as in he can come to work in drag.”

Didn’t know drag was described as a man with a beard wearing lipstick and makeup. And isn’t lipstick makeup? I’m sure I’m totally off base on make up classifications.

All said, I believe this story could be picked up elsewhere. Perhaps in a less stilted mag? And… Any news is good news.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Here’s a quote from a less judgmental news source.

“I love who I am and refuse to make myself smaller in order to be accepted. This is one thing that I can’t compromise over,” said Monique “Mo,” she/her, Alaska flight attendant based in San Diego. “We all want to look professional, and we all want to be ourselves at the same time—your gender shouldn’t define what you wear or how you look.”

She’s wearing more the male look as a female but the quote is something we can all get behind.

https://news.alaskaair.com/diversity-eq ... -pronouns/

Turns out the target of the first article Jason is a drag artist.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

“We all want to look professional, and we all want to be ourselves at the same time—your gender shouldn’t define what you wear or how you look.”

If any Cafe member disagreed with this, I'd wonder why they are actually here.
All we have to do now is convince the rest of the human race.
Steve.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Great that staff can wear which uniforms they like. However, if asked my pronouns, I say "none" (which is a pronoun, right?) because pronouns are grammatical function words and dependent upon speaker interpretation of context. While names should be respected, I don't believe any of us have the right to others how they choose to use the grammar of their own language.

I have yet to meet a man who says he would feel "unsafe" if he overheard someone mistakenly referring to him as "she" - or even a woman who says she would feel "unsafe" if she overheard someone mistakenly referring to him as "he". If it bothers someone all that much which pronouns are used, all they have to do is make sure they unambiguously resemble the sex to which they wish to be regarded.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Stu wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:36 pm ... I don't believe any of us have the right to [tell?] others how they choose to use the grammar of their own language.
I am no expert on this, but I would have thought that if a pronoun were needed in a sentence, the substitution of a different pronoun would not result in a change of grammar.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:53 pmI am no expert on this, but I would have thought that if a pronoun were needed in a sentence, the substitution of a different pronoun would not result in a change of grammar.
Of course it results in a change in the grammar, but these types think that's appropriate in much the same way that old worlds have been "repurposed" into new meanings, sometimes contradicting their original meanings. That makes communication difficult because language is effectively a protocol that we use to communicate with one another, The net result is that communication becomes more difficult because a speaker may not know if the protocol of the listener matches his.

Language is important, and we fiddle with it at our peril. If we cannot properly understand what someone else is saying, what's the use of making noise?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:10 am
pelmut wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:53 pmI am no expert on this, but I would have thought that if a pronoun were needed in a sentence, the substitution of a different pronoun would not result in a change of grammar.
Of course it results in a change in the grammar,
It may result in a change of meaning, but a pronoun is still a pronoun, so the grammar is still the same.  Using a noun instead of a pronoun would be a change of grammar.
[Change of meaning] He wore a flowing skirt >> He wore a yellow skirt.
[Change of grammar] He wore a flowing skirt >> He wore a flow skirt.
...but these types think that's appropriate in much the same way that old worlds have been "repurposed" into new meanings, sometimes contradicting their original meanings.
That's not grammar, that is mis-use of the vocabulary.
He wore a wicked skirt.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

pelmut wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:53 pm
Stu wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:36 pm ... I don't believe any of us have the right to [tell?] others how they choose to use the grammar of their own language.
I am no expert on this, but I would have thought that if a pronoun were needed in a sentence, the substitution of a different pronoun would not result in a change of grammar.
If I substituted a noun for another noun, e.g. if I referred to a whale as an insect, that would be a semantic error. However, pronouns are function words rather than lexemes, and function word errors usually fall under grammar (rather than semantics) because they have a grammatical function.