I'm ashamed!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I'm ashamed!

Post by phathack »

Politics ruins everything

I do not discuss politics on this platform, this is not the place for that.

I'm here to encourage men that are interested in wearing skirts, to sum up the courage to wear a skirt in public and go about their daily lives.

I've been wearing skirts as part of my daily life for almost a decade and it's really a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Elisabetta wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:29 pmWhat happened to learn to agree to disagree? What happened to love? I don't get it. I'm not here to make anyone feel ashamed but I WILL CALL YOU OUT.
And here we have the crux of the problem -- we have lost the ability or the willingness to "agree to disagree" -- and we are vastly poorer for it. The divisions now cut so deeply that we cannot seem to overcome them.

To the second point, "What happened to love?", all I can think of is that because of sentiment (1) above, love has been replaced by its counterpart, hate. And this is down largely to the influence of the mass media, misinformation, and propaganda.

On point (3), I'm tempted to appoint Elizabeth to the position of "Conscience of SkirtCafe". It seems we need one, as all of can get hot under the collar sometimes (this writer included).

To generalities, I have no religious affiliation relying instead on ethics instead of "morality", thus cannot be accused of anything related to that problem. I also detest the modern misuse of the words "conservative" and "liberal", both of which have become slurs if not outright epithets. If you're to use those in the modern meaning, please Capitalise them so as to set them apart from their proper meanings. Hilariously, I view myself -- still -- as a "conservative" in the classic meaning as someone who is reluctant to stray too much from the established course unless there is pressing need to do so; my counterpart, a "liberal" would be vastly more willing to undertake change for the simple sake of change. The world needs both viewpoints, and needs to climb down from the language and use of slurs and epithets. I find it sad indeed that I cannot use a simple and very customary word to describe my outlook on matters.

We also have generational aspects in the dynamics here in addition to the international culture -- and none of those can really be downplayed as they're part of who we are as humans and how we interpret the world around us. There's a reason for the choices of moderators, and why I strive to have a non-US moderator on-staff at all times so as to balance the overall views.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

crfriend wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:20 am
Elisabetta wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:29 pmWhat happened to learn to agree to disagree? What happened to love? I don't get it. I'm not here to make anyone feel ashamed but I WILL CALL YOU OUT.
And here we have the crux of the problem -- we have lost the ability or the willingness to "agree to disagree" -- and we are vastly poorer for it. The divisions now cut so deeply that we cannot seem to overcome them.

To the second point, "What happened to love?", all I can think of is that because of sentiment (1) above, love has been replaced by its counterpart, hate. And this is down largely to the influence of the mass media, misinformation, and propaganda.

On point (3), I'm tempted to appoint Elizabeth to the position of "Conscience of SkirtCafe". It seems we need one, as all of can get hot under the collar sometimes (this writer included).

To generalities, I have no religious affiliation relying instead on ethics instead of "morality", thus cannot be accused of anything related to that problem. I also detest the modern misuse of the words "conservative" and "liberal", both of which have become slurs if not outright epithets. If you're to use those in the modern meaning, please Capitalise them so as to set them apart from their proper meanings. Hilariously, I view myself -- still -- as a "conservative" in the classic meaning as someone who is reluctant to stray too much from the established course unless there is pressing need to do so; my counterpart, a "liberal" would be vastly more willing to undertake change for the simple sake of change. The world needs both viewpoints, and needs to climb down from the language and use of slurs and epithets. I find it sad indeed that I cannot use a simple and very customary word to describe my outlook on matters.

We also have generational aspects in the dynamics here in addition to the international culture -- and none of those can really be downplayed as they're part of who we are as humans and how we interpret the world around us. There's a reason for the choices of moderators, and why I strive to have a non-US moderator on-staff at all times so as to balance the overall views.
Thanks for your compliment. In all seriousness as I always am am not here to hate on anyone but my point in the post is to lead by example. Never call someone else out for doing the very thing you're doing. Two wrongs won't make a right. I think people need to learn some things.

One we all live in different states. Most work in different states where they witness a lot of things going on that most only hear the corrupted media share. Yes the media for what it's worth doesn't always air truth. They'll air anything to get you watching their garbage.

Lots of things are taking place. Changing times are ahead and yes it can effect your freedom. That's all the posts was about. I didn't go deeply into the threads but I do skim over them. I love everyone here at the Cafe but remember I need to get you all to see when things are getting to be too much because if someone doesn't you'll lose sight of what its all about. We all need each other and rather than the wars on here come together and make changes help your fellow members be able to live freely. Make yourselves heard.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Update to my original post.

If some members took my post as being from a Moderator's point of view,
:sorry: that happened. I posted this as a member, NOT A MODERATOR :!:

If/When I have to use "The Hat", my comments are prefaced as such.
Thankfully, "The Hat" I use is, on its peg, collecting dust. I haven't needed
to wear "The Hat" for a long, long time :D That shows how much the Cafe'
is taking care of itself. Above all, respect for a members comments shows
the civility of the Cafe'.
As Moon stated, he blew off some steam.
We all are entitled to 'blow of some steam' every now and then.
It's good for the soul. :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:16 am Update to my original post.

If some members took my post as being from a Moderator's point of view,
:sorry: that happened. I posted this as a member, NOT A MODERATOR :!:

If/When I have to use "The Hat", my comments are prefaced as such.
Thankfully, "The Hat" I use is, on its peg, collecting dust. I haven't needed
to wear "The Hat" for a long, long time :D That shows how much the Cafe'
is taking care of itself. Above all, respect for a members comments shows
the civility of the Cafe'.
As Moon stated, he blew off some steam.
We all are entitled to 'blow of some steam' every now and then.
It's good for the soul. :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Agree blowing off steam is good for the soul and I'd like to think that even though everyone has different opinions that at the end of the day everyone can still be friends and not take everything so personal. Remember everyone's human. Much love to you Uncle Al.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I skim-read some of the political stuff. I do find it useful sometimes to have a first-hand view on a certain country thousands of miles away which seems to have a higher proportion of belligerent idiots than even my own fractious motherland.

As a moderate feminist, I find rants that present a negative stereotype of women harder to process than anyone foaming at the mouth about American politics, which from this distance is mainly just an excuse to break out the popcorn.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well said, MB.

We are, in this green 'Land of Saints and Scullduggers' almost as far removed from all that 'popcorn' as you and I have a raft of family resident like you in the Caliphate of Sunakistan, province: Brexitshire, so I can instruct them to gang up on you if I think yer steppin' outa line.

Just last Sunday my family forces resident in the UK increased by One...one Nolan Albert Horswell slid down the launching ramp in Plymouth, Devon and I fully expect him also to grow up to be a big bully-boy like his Great Grandad !

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:56 am Just last Sunday my family forces resident in the UK increased by One...
Congratulations!
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:22 pm
Kirbstone wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:56 am Just last Sunday my family forces resident in the UK increased by One...
Congratulations!
Hear, hear. Congratulations Tom. And welcome to the world Nolan Albert!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Al

Two points.

1. A definition of “ashamed” is

“embarrassed or guilty because of one's actions, characteristics, or associations”

In short, I don’t think you need to be ashamed, as previously pointed out. However, if you wish to be, that is your right.

2. You start more posts on political matters than most, so your comment about members not doing so is somewhat hypocritical. I feel that you do so through frustration, or a desire to respond, but as a moderator, you have a duty to, well, moderate your responses in a similar manner to Carl.

As a simple participator, you’re at the same level as the rest of us, and to that end, you should expect counter-arguments by others. You’ve got the chance to set the tone. If you start defensively or belligerently, then the responses may follow these lines. (New comment after reading your second post).

Ray
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:09 am[...] as a moderator, you have a duty to, well, moderate your responses in a similar manner to Carl.
I'm not exactly sure how I wound up being an exemplar here because I can -- and do -- get very hot under the collar sometimes. I just tend to debate ideas and theories, not people.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Ray wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:09 am Al

Two points.

1. A definition of “ashamed” is

“embarrassed or guilty because of one's actions, characteristics, or associations”

In short, I don’t think you need to be ashamed, as previously pointed out. However, if you wish to be, that is your right.

2. You start more posts on political matters than most, so your comment about members not doing so is somewhat hypocritical. I feel that you do so through frustration, or a desire to respond, but as a moderator, you have a duty to, well, moderate your responses in a similar manner to Carl.

As a simple participator, you’re at the same level as the rest of us, and to that end, you should expect counter-arguments by others. You’ve got the chance to set the tone. If you start defensively or belligerently, then the responses may follow these lines. (New comment after reading your second post).

Ray
I absolutely agree. He said his standpoint is as a member well that also applies if you're a member or Moderator. You can't tell others to quit doing something when most times it's Uncle Al that is the one starting threads. Being totally honest here.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

So let’s end this thread with a few “action items.”

1. Stick to discussing men’s skirt wearing.

2. Give others the benefit of the doubt.

3. Don’t yell at each other, request a clarification

4. Opinions are never right nor wrong.

5. Debate and discuss ideas, don’t belittle the person with the ideas.

6. Agree to disagree sometimes.

7. Avoid interacting with posters you don’t get along with.

8. In a world where you can be anything, be kind.

9. Walk a mile in another’s shoes

10. Avoid those topics that ain’t considered polite talk: politics, religion and abortion. But if you must, contain that to “other topics”

11. Be supportive and encouraging

12. Discuss your adventures to assist those not as far along as you may be.

13. Wear more skirts.

What am I missing?
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

ScotL wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:37 pm So let’s end this thread with a few “action items.”

1. Stick to discussing men’s skirt wearing.

2. Give others the benefit of the doubt.

3. Don’t yell at each other, request a clarification

4. Opinions are never right nor wrong.

5. Debate and discuss ideas, don’t belittle the person with the ideas.

6. Agree to disagree sometimes.

7. Avoid interacting with posters you don’t get along with.

8. In a world where you can be anything, be kind.

9. Walk a mile in another’s shoes

10. Avoid those topics that ain’t considered polite talk: politics, religion and abortion. But if you must, contain that to “other topics”

11. Be supportive and encouraging

12. Discuss your adventures to assist those not as far along as you may be.

13. Wear more skirts.

What am I missing?
Exactly 💯!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

If there is one thing Al and I have in common, isn't seems we have both gotten sucked deeply into the "culture wars", him on one side and I on the other.

I feel like Al is a good guy and I hope he feels the same about me.

I suppose I have gotten a little carried away lately. I have a hard time watching things unfold in the world. It's hard to feel good about a society that preaches so much virtue and yet seems trapped by so much vice... myself included.

There is a bit of scripture that I stumbled upon a few weeks ago that I’ve found useful latley..

"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Ephesians 4:29

Easier said than done for sure.

I can't knock Al.... for my tongue is no better.

Life is hard enough, let's be friends and navigate it together.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.