Texans beware

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Texans beware

Post by skirtyscot »

... particularly if you work for the government.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7ebag/ ... -code-memo

Could well be the thin end of the wedge. You have so many batshit crazy right wing politicians over there, all trying to outdo each other with their illiberal bills.

Plenty of folk saying it can't be enforced, over on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comme ... are_button

Top tip: stay away from reddit, it's such a waste of time!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Texans beware

Post by Coder »

As with the other thread - I really think we need to pin these people down as to *which century* they want clothing standards to be held to. I mean, if we are being truly serious about it, we should roll the clock back to biblical times. Or even further, prehistoric man.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:35 pmAs with the other thread - I really think we need to pin these people down as to *which century* they want clothing standards to be held to. I mean, if we are being truly serious about it, we should roll the clock back to biblical times. Or even further, prehistoric man.
Nah. These idiots want the clock turned back to the Father Knows Best days of the 1950s -- the era of Joe McCarthy and the likes -- because that's where their idiot senile minds are. I, for one, will be glad when the last of the Boomers with false nostalgia for the 1950s are dead and buried. It's been a bad run, and it just continues to get worse the longer they're in power.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

skirtyscot wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:22 pm ... particularly if you work for the government.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7ebag/ ... -code-memo

Could well be the thin end of the wedge. You have so many batshit crazy right wing politicians over there, all trying to outdo each other with their illiberal bills.

Plenty of folk saying it can't be enforced, over on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comme ... are_button

Top tip: stay away from reddit, it's such a waste of time!
Seems the puritans are back.

I still think they’ll need to have an exhaustive list of what is and what is not acceptable that they will have to defend. In other words, why can women wear pants? When did that change?

And what if I wear a kilt? Isn’t that a man’s garment?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm sure Governor Lee stayed up all night drafting Tennessee's puritan law in response.

What's up with these "freedom loving" star spangled awesome Republicans wanting to ban everything?

Freedom... they keep using that word, but I don't think they know what it means...
crfriend wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:46 pm Nah. These idiots want the clock turned back to the Father Knows Best days of the 1950s -- the era of Joe McCarthy and the likes -- because that's where their idiot senile minds are. I, for one, will be glad when the last of the Boomers with false nostalgia for the 1950s are dead and buried. It's been a bad run, and it just continues to get worse the longer they're in power.
Don't get too excited... some of the most authoritarian theocrats I've seen are under 30. Look at Ben Sharpio... he's four years younger than me!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtyscot wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:22 pm You have so many batshit crazy right wing politicians over there, all trying to outdo each other with their illiberal bills.
Understatement of the century...

Good thing Uncle Al is retired!

You know.... I dare say, ironically gender nonconforming people won a lot if victories under Trump's watch...

If only we had a president with a working brain and a backbone. This nation is going up in flames, and Biden seems to be perpetually asleep at the helm...

He's just letting these tyrants do whatever the hell they want! To hell with the constitution, to hell with rights, to hell with freedom... Republicans are going full blown Nazi and all you hear from Joe is snoring.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:26 am I'm sure Governor Lee stayed up all night drafting Tennessee's puritan law in response.

What's up with these "freedom loving" star spangled awesome Republicans wanting to ban everything?

Freedom... they keep using that word, but I don't think they know what it means...
crfriend wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:46 pm Nah. These idiots want the clock turned back to the Father Knows Best days of the 1950s -- the era of Joe McCarthy and the likes -- because that's where their idiot senile minds are. I, for one, will be glad when the last of the Boomers with false nostalgia for the 1950s are dead and buried. It's been a bad run, and it just continues to get worse the longer they're in power.
Don't get too excited... some of the most authoritarian theocrats I've seen are under 30. Look at Ben Sharpio...
Isn't he pushing 40, though? Regardless, it's quite saddening to see young people clinging on to outdated and inane principles of an era they weren't even alive to witness just how terrible said principles were.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

TSH wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:15 am Isn't he pushing 40, though?
He was born in '84, that puts him squarely in millennial territory.

I'm 42 years old.
TSH wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:15 am it's quite saddening to see young people clinging on to outdated and inane principles of an era they weren't even alive to witness just how terrible said principles were.
True, but I reckon in fairness if you look back during the 60's, it was the same with the boomers. I've seen lots of footage, especially from film maker David Hoffman (cool YouTuber by the way... you should check him out) where he interviews boomers back in the 60s and 70s (when they were younger than I am today).

Anyway, their opinions were all over the place just like the young folks today.

I will say however that the politicians they actually elected seemed a lot more sensible than what we have today. The Nixon scandal seems so mild in comparison to anything we've witnessed over the last few years. Nixon is nothing compared to Trump, and I hate to admit it... I'm starting to really think we as a country faired much better under Trump than we so under Biden.

I can't figure it out... it's like Trump was so outspoken against anything progressive, and yet there were so many progressive victories during his four years despite him.... Under Biden, he just seems to be twiddling his thumbs while the country self destructs.

What really angers me is he knows he sucks,, but he's running again anyway, and more than half of registered Democrats don't want him to run...but nobody will try to unseat him.

Trump was right.... they are "do nothing Democrats"... so each election we really have the theocratic fascist party going up against a bunch of establishment "do nothings"....

We're doomed....
-Andrea
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:50 am
TSH wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:15 am Isn't he pushing 40, though?
He was born in '84, that puts him squarely in millennial territory.

I'm 42 years old.
TSH wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:15 am it's quite saddening to see young people clinging on to outdated and inane principles of an era they weren't even alive to witness just how terrible said principles were.
True, but I reckon in fairness if you look back during the 60's, it was the same with the boomers. I've seen lots of footage, especially from film maker David Hoffman (cool YouTuber by the way... you should check him out) where he interviews boomers back in the 60s and 70s (when they were younger than I am today).

Anyway, their opinions were all over the place just like the young folks today.

I will say however that the politicians they actually elected seemed a lot more sensible than what we have today. The Nixon scandal seems so mild in comparison to anything we've witnessed over the last few years. Nixon is nothing compared to Trump, and I hate to admit it... I'm starting to really think we as a country faired much better under Trump than we so under Biden.

I can't figure it out... it's like Trump was so outspoken against anything progressive, and yet there were so many progressive victories during his four years despite him.... Under Biden, he just seems to be twiddling his thumbs while the country self destructs.

What really angers me is he knows he sucks,, but he's running again anyway, and more than half of registered Democrats don't want him to run...but nobody will try to unseat him.

Trump was right.... they are "do nothing Democrats"... so each election we really have the theocratic fascist party going up against a bunch of establishment "do nothings"....

We're doomed....
"I can't figure it out... it's like Trump was so outspoken against anything progressive, and yet there were so many progressive victories during his four years despite him.... Under Biden, he just seems to be twiddling his thumbs while the country self destructs"

You are right it doesn't add up. It becomes clearer when you realise that Biden not Trump represents the establishment. Biden represents big corporations. While trump was sounding off, good people in the background were able to get improve the lives ordinary people. As strange as it seems we should be thankful for lion's like trump. Now tear me down and cancel me😈
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

ANYONE who says Trump was right about ANYTHING needs a checkup from the neck up. I despise EVERYTHING Trump stands for, hell, I despise him BREATHING, so his political stances are crap on steroids. I’ll take my chances with Biden instead of Trump or ANY racist, homophobic, hate ridden scumbag in the Republican Party.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:50 am Trump was right.... they are "do nothing Democrats"... so each election we really have the theocratic fascist party going up against a bunch of establishment "do nothings"....
The "do nothing" is the result of the Senate allowing a "filibuster", or really just requiring 60% of the Senate to pass anything. There are a couple Senators who often vote with the Republicans, but if there was a Democratic majority in the House and 63 Democratic (or Democratic-leaning Independents, like Sen. Sanders) Senators, along with a President that would sign progressive bills, I think we would see lots of action.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:26 amDon't get too excited... some of the most authoritarian theocrats I've seen are under 30. Look at Ben Sharpio... he's four years younger than me!
He probably had the notion beaten into him by his father and never learned anything more. Children are pretty easy to explain.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Sorry for bringing up the political angle - I really wanted to point out a real, live example of someone advocating for the outlawing of MIS.

Even though it was in an informal chat / Q/A on this particular person's thoughts (ie, I don't think this was a greater policy session, I looked up the podcast and it's someone in his group answering random questions) - he has some influence and his ideas will be echoed by his "followers".

The cleanest take on it is (from Reddit):
Ben Shapiro: I’m a small government guy. The less government the better.
Also Ben Shapiro: The government should enforce laws about what you wear.
And I think - for this forum - it's pushing back on the latter - the encroachment of freedom to wear what we want that's at stake.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:38 amYou are right it doesn't add up. It becomes clearer when you realise that Biden not Trump represents the establishment. Biden represents big corporations. While trump was sounding off, good people in the background were able to get improve the lives ordinary people. As strange as it seems we should be thankful for lion's like trump. Now tear me down and cancel me😈
The main issue here is that Biden is firmly an "Establishment" character who will not disrupt the status-quo, and Trump was merely out for himself in a selfish devil-may-care attempt to aggrandise himself and get richer -- and the fallout would not matter.

The problem shows up a bit farther back in the history books with the election of Obama. That was the key lost opportunity, and we'll likely never get another one like it again. Had Obama repudiated all the terrible damage done by Cheney/Bush (the lesser), rescinded the execrable "Patriot Act", restored Civil Liberties, and reset the tax-rates to something resembling reason we wouldn't be in the mess that we find ourselves in today. I don't think that the Republic could have been restored, but life would be vastly better and more hopeful for the common man (the General Welfare, as it's called out as in the Preamble to the Constitution of The United States). But that opportunity will never come again because all the things required to enable it have been swept from the table.

What am I going to do about it. I'm going to do everything I can to fight it, which is -- precisely nothing. My vote means nothing in an election process that is rigged for the super-rich; voting with my wallet is impossible because there's no choice of vendors once one starts looking at where the money actually goes, and I cannot emigrate because I'd be viewed as an Economic Refugee and nobody wants those.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:39 pm
Ben Shapiro: I’m a small government guy. The less government the better.
Also Ben Shapiro: The government should enforce laws about what you wear.
And I think - for this forum - it's pushing back on the latter - the encroachment of freedom to wear what we want that's at stake.
Herr Shapiro contradicts himself in the statement above -- and likely does not have the intelligence to see the fact.

The "small government" mantra is usually invoked by right-wing extremists who want the government (as it is) destroyed so the rich and powerful can get more rich and powerful, with the accompanying problem that everybody who's not rich and powerful gets screwed.

The latter statement is that of an authoritarian who wants absolute control for the simple sake of having control.

Encroachment on civil liberties is always a very slippery slope and is best not done unless there are clear and compelling reasons for it. Picking on people for what they wear is inane and childish and says more about the character invoking the language than anything else.