GQ

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ScotL
Chatbot

GQ

Post by ScotL »

Apologies if posted before but I hadn’t seen this one.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashion/a ... -skort/amp
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: GQ

Post by FLbreezy »

I feel like the tops and bottoms there are wildly mismatched. The idea is good though, a skort is a "safer" mini-skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 pm I feel like the tops and bottoms there are wildly mismatched. The idea is good though, a skort is a "safer" mini-skirt.
Yes - I won’t wear mini skirts, but have a few short skorts and the skorts give a certain sense of “safety” that I don’t seem to worry about the length. I haven’t worn any out in public - not really work “appropriate” and I don’t really go out.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

(1) The miniskirt is supposed to be dangerous and hence "safer" need not apply here. That's the way it was since the "introduction" of them in the 1960s, and is why they still have the same impact today. Dumbing them down by turning them into shorts is not the answer; the wearer being highly aware of them, and how to gracefully manage them in sometimes challenging circumstances is key. Sadly, the latter component is lost on modern generations.

(2) Any man wearing a skirt is going to be deemed as slightly dangerous -- whether he want to be or not -- for it symbolises that he;s not beholden to the "Code Of Conduct" for men. That alone will set him immediately apart from the swarm of sheep and lemmings.

Thus, (3) In for a penny, in for a pound! Simply go for the real deal. Why fool with cheap impersonations?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 pm I feel like the tops and bottoms there are wildly mismatched. The idea is good though, a skort is a "safer" mini-skirt.
I feel the top and the bottom matching is the result of a dare. Or a lost bet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:28 pm (2) Any man wearing a skirt is going to be deemed as slightly dangerous -- whether he want to be or not -- for it symbolises that he;s not beholden to the "Code Of Conduct" for men. That alone will set him immediately apart from the swarm of sheep and lemmings.

Thus, (3) In for a penny, in for a pound! Simply go for the real deal. Why fool with cheap impersonations?
I recall a few weeks ago, whilst standing on my front deck in one of longer Macabi skirts, a strong gust of wind snuck up on me and lifted the skirt straight up.

If I had not been on my own private property and in the presence of certain company, I could see such an incident ending badly.

On windy days it may not hurt to wear a pair of bicycle shorts or something similar under the skirt so as to not run afoul of the law.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:55 am On windy days it may not hurt to wear a pair of bicycle shorts or something similar under the skirt so as to not run afoul of the law.
If I didn't think you were being serious moon, this would be quite humorous.
Glad to say that over here some ribald Anglo Saxon commentary would likely be the worst in such a situation.
Deliberate hoisting or flashing would earn some chat with the local constabulary though.
The moral is dress according to the weather and be aware of what is around you.
Just for clarity, going "commando", is never nice or wise as far as I am concerned.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:19 am The moral is dress according to the weather and be aware of what is around you.
Unless you prefer to just throw caution to the..... wind! :lol:

:hide:

But yeah, the way things are getting, the media has everyone wound up so tight right right now, it could be a helpful bit of peace of mind.
STEVIE wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:19 am Just for clarity, going "commando", is never nice or wise as far as I am concerned.
Absolutely.

And my message for any member considering this.... "please don't". Right now we really need all skirt wearing men, and other gender nonconforming people to be on their BEST behavior.

All eyes are on us right now.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:55 am I recall a few weeks ago, whilst standing on my front deck in one of longer Macabi skirts, a strong gust of wind snuck up on me and lifted the skirt straight up.
I only have the knee-length Macabi skirts, I can't imagine the amount of wind necessary to cause a wardrobe malfunction! I suppose the longer ones catch more air force, as it were.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Don't linger downwind of a box van, the air flow under the van rises vertically on the leeward side.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

As for the "look" that could be very cheaply achieved with a shorts and tee shirt set.
Personally not for me even if you paid me.
Steve.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Heavier materials, such as denim, don't blow up. And so what if a skirt blows up? That's part of the teasing effect of a skirt.

Occasionally when I've seen unintended upskirts, I've noticed that the wearer has on shorts underneath. I've been told that this is for both for modesty and to avoid rubbing thighs. But seeing the shorts underneath sure ruins the vulnerability of wearing a skirt for me.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Brad wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:44 pm Heavier materials, such as denim, don't blow up.
Oh yes they do. I know from experience.
Brad wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:44 pm And so what if a skirt blows up?
I dunno. And I ain't gonna find out.

I'll probably be investing in some short shorts to wear under skirts as needed. Yes yes I know people think I'm overreacting.... but I'd just feel a lot better.

Not everywhere or all the time... just in certain areas and in certain weather.
-Andrea
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

The British satirical fortnightly Private Eye runs an occasional spot headed "Bonfire of the Subs", where the reader is entertained by some ghastly foul-up on the editorial floor of a respectable publication which ought to know better. In this bid from GQ, we find bearing in place of baring (twice), tenny instead of teeny -- and sylphlike has ended up in a car crash. What were they thinking?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

geron wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:45 pmWhat were they thinking?
The answer is that they were not thinking, and had insufficient editors overlording their work. Nowadays, if it passes the spell chequer it goes to press.

There have been rather hilarious poems on the 'Net regarding this.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!