Successful kilt debut at church

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Successful kilt debut at church

Post by Offkilter69 »

15A2BA80-30DD-4782-8C21-30A8D5832FB8.jpeg
Easter Sunday afforded me a special occasion to don a kilt to church for the first time. I was a bit apprehensive about the reactions I would get, but I was pleasantly surprised by four compliments, two of which were very enthusiastic! One of the exuberant compliments came from a very spry 94 year-old lady who I have recently come to know a bit after venturing back to church following a long COVID-induced pause in attendance. She said “I love your outfit…and the skirt!” Even after I politely corrected her that it was a kilt, she later called it a skirt again. I couldn’t care less that she called it a skirt. In fact, I find it interesting that she was so enthusiastic thinking it was a skirt. The other robust compliment came from an older gentleman who was greeting people at the door. He even complimented me a second time after the service, saying “you did the look really well!” The boots may not quite fit “kilt protocol*, but it’s a spin I’m allowing myself. After being apprehensive about wearing a kilt to church, I may have to do it more often!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Schumann

Re: Successful kilt debut at church

Post by Chris Schumann »

Well done! Great job!
Looks very good!
It's harder to shatter a preconception than an atom (Albert Einstein)
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Chris Schumann wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:38 pm Well done! Great job!
Looks very good!
Thanks! Validation is few and far in between on this alternative fashion runway we elect to take, and by no means absolutely necessary since we’re already doing it to different degrees, but it is nice to get on occasion!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Offkilter69 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:59 pm
Thanks! Validation is few and far in between on this alternative fashion runway we elect to take, and by no means absolutely necessary since we’re already doing it to different degrees, but it is nice to get on occasion!
Awesome job, awesome experience, awesome look and awesome confidence.

Love the compliments you get when kilted.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

But to be realistic for a moment, Offkilter69, not many men will be considering your outfit after they've caught sight of that vision in red on your right...
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Very smart. And you can certainly get away with boots outside formal Scottish circles!
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

geron wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:03 pm But to be realistic for a moment, Offkilter69, not many men will be considering your outfit after they've caught sight of that vision in red on your right...
No argument there!
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

ScotL wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:59 pm
Awesome job, awesome experience, awesome look and awesome confidence.

Love the compliments you get when kilted.
Thanks! It’s a frustrating paradox that something so benign as what one wears can be pleasing yet also angst causing at times. May we all continue to cultivate confidence so that validation, which is so often fleeting, is no longer needed.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Well put. You want to wear what you want to and be accepted but then when no one compliments you, you’re disappointed. Guess we’re never satisfied. Hahaha
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Well done, congratulations. Once more, go with confidence owing your own choices, and it works.

We have been visiting in the US this past month and attending a new to us Worship group held at a large retirement community that was formed by a very conservative body that is still so uptight about "being inclusive" the underpinning church has split. The worship group we are attending is quite small but we go to the cafeteria serving everyone after the Meeting, where my rather blah skirts have garnered not a single comment, nor any other discernable reaction--it just isn't a big deal. Kilts are nice to help 'break the ice' and lovely that the one woman correctly lumped your kilt with its larger family of skirts.
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

I wear my Kilts everywhere every day but did just in April wear one to church for the first time. It was my Spirt of Scotland pattern. Had a gentleman who recently emigrated from Scotland compliment me on my attire. I have also since worn my Irish national kilt. I have had several people now compliment me on them and ask questions on them and why I wear them. my answers are I like the patterns and I like the feeling. I have had no negative comments at all although I have seen some maybe negative looks.
I am secure enough that it doesn't bother me. I do my own thing
I do have Scottish Irish descendants although don't think that is necessary to wear a kilt of any particular pattern.
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

Ha ha. Just realized in my avatar I am just wearing a patterned skirt. I wear those out and about as well. Haven't worn one of those to church yet but maybe some day. I do have numerous Kilts I can wear.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Skirt18220 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:34 pm
I am secure enough that it doesn't bother me. I do my own thing.
It is amazing how the courage it takes to wear a skirt as a man is the exact thing that is lacking in men who don’t understand why a man would wear a skirt. I’ve heard men exclaim their manhood is attacked if they are near a drag queen. To which, the problem ain’t the drag queen but the man’s fragile security
Kiltieman

Post by Kiltieman »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:36 pm Very smart. And you can certainly get away with boots outside formal Scottish circles!
I aagree bookworm and also that we Scots need to lighten up a bit on how to wear kilts. Ive currently got 8 kilts and also a few lightweight ones which are just perfect for this hot weather. :D
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Like the outfit, Offkilter! :D