What people really think

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What people really think

Post by Midas »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/347e ... 5b89b7a1be

While the bulk of this article is nothing to do with this thread, the middle section is. I like the ‘go woke go broke’ maxim.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

"Get woke, go broke"

Ah, because "love one another as I have loved you" just doesn't have the same punch....

Honestly these boycotts are stupid, and I don't just mean the "woke boycotts", I also mean the boycotts that leftist push as well...

Businesses have (or should have) one goal, and that's survival... staying in business. That's not always an easy task, especially with our ultra polarized society we live in now, but I'd be willing to wager that most consumers just want their products, and these products would do well to leave off the culturally/socially provocative stuff.

Speaking for myself, and as someone who probably does rate somewhere between the Q and + on the acronym, I can honestly say that when I want a product, let's say, a bottle of juice, then I want the juice. Honestly, the only thing I look for is whether or not it has high fructose corn syrup in it... that's it. I don't care if it has rainbows or confederate flags on the front label, I just want something that taste good and doesn't have HFCS.

You know why friends? Because it's not what's on the label that matters, it's what's on the inside!

Yesterday, during our ride, we made three stops at business establishments, the first stop to purchase some fuel for the car, and Liz wanted a Sprite from the c-store, the second was at an independent Country Store located on Big Walker Lookout, and finally, dinner at Chic-Fil-A. Yes, you heard that right... Chic-Fil-A.

Do you know why?

Because you don't need to rate a 100 on the HRC index to win my business, you don't need to plaster your store with rainbows every June to win my business, you don't need to put a rainbow flag on the front door to win my business...

... all you have to do is stock what I'm needing or wanting, and don't be a jerk when I go to buy it.

During my day trip yesterday, each and every place I visited treated me like a business should treat a customer, with friendliness and kindness. Each invited my wife and I to return with a smile on their face, just like they did for everyone else that walked through their doors.

That's all it takes man!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm disappointed that Travis Tritt jumped on the bandwagon of "self righteousness", but I can forgive that because we're all human, and nobody is perfect. I too can get a little self righteous from time to time.

The other day I held one of his CD's in my hand and debated on chucking it in the garbage. I've had the album since the late 90's. I decided to keep it. Why? Because this is stupid. He's just like everyone else, completely caught up in these stupid culture wars. And because me tossing the album makes me just as guilty and stupid.

No... it ends with me. I'm not going to participate in culture wars... or at least that's the goal.

"It's a great day to be alive" still puts a smile on my face, and that's all that matters.

As for Kid Rock? .... Uh, okay, well I guess I've occasionally heard some of his stuff on the radio from time to time. Didn't seem to have the same impact Tritt did. Still, he seems like somewhat of an interesting choice for conservatives to hitch themselves up with...

https://youtu.be/agvibm7Wqy4 WARNING! This video is... Well, if you don't like the first 10 seconds, you won't like the rest of it, I stopped about half way through. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!

Um... okay... I guess.

I realize now why there are so many Bud Light cans littered all over the place in the mountains....

I'm going to say something you won't hear come out of my mouth very often... As for Kid Rock...? That ol' boy needs Jesus! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:24 pm "Get woke, go broke"

Ah, because "love one another as I have loved you" just doesn't have the same punch....
One of my favorite prayers is “Lord, protect me from your followers”

For the self righteous have so lost the meaning of the Bible that they interpret it literally, select passages that confirm their preordained ideas and conveniently forget those that counter their arguments.

Do unto others as you want others to do unto you.

We all need Jesus. But the real one that preaches love and understanding. The world would be a better place if we all got the hugs we needed.

Suffer me all the little children never meant only the white straight children.

Judge not lest ye be judged yourself.

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Love your enemies.

I don’t use my Faith to fight wars, argue a stance on todays issues or prove who is right or wrong.

My Faith gives me the moral compass and compassion to hear, love and understand.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:24 pm Businesses have (or should have) one goal, and that's survival... staying in business. That's not always an easy task, especially with our ultra polarized society we live in now, but I'd be willing to wager that most consumers just want their products, and these products would do well to leave off the culturally/socially provocative stuff.
The goal of the business is the reason it was constituted, making money is just the means (unless making money was the goal, that happens sometimes). There are plenty of businesses that exist to push social causes.

Honestly, I'd be really surprised if people actually drink less beer due to an advertisement, but if they do, nothing of value was lost. From what I read, the brand has basically dying for a while now and this is an attempt to make it more interesting for the youth. If they stay doing what they've been doing before they'll die anyway, so it's not crazy to try something new. This is I think the first time I've heard of them in 20 years, so from an advertising point of view it's exceeded their wildest expectations.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

I'm going to refer to what @moonshadow stated earlier in this thread. Most people are morons; there's no point in even entertaining what sort of stupid, bigoted, spiteful, rude thoughts are conjured up in the woolly minds of the average person. Screw everyone else and just focus on your own life; you'll be much happier for it.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:10 am
Screw everyone else and just focus on your own life; you'll be much happier for it.
Please note this is NOT a personal attack. Just food for thought and reasonable discussion of opinions that are neither right nor wrong.

If one puts the sentiments of “screw everyone else” and “focus on your own life” into a stranger, don’t we get a self centered bastard that we all decry as unattractive? And aren’t we all just strangers to another person?

If wearing a skirt as a man has taught me anything, it’s to be more empathetic towards the struggles of others.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yesterday I found evidence of something that proved my point...

Whilst at Food Lion the other day buying a bottle of wine, I saw a bright rainbow colored bottle of champagne... PRIDE champagne. There were three on the shelf and it was produced by the "Barefoot" wine label.

Where is the outrage? *crickets*

There is none... why?

Because Joe Sixpack doesn't drink champagne.

Let them have their horse piss in a can. :lol:
-Andrea
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:28 am
TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:10 amScrew everyone else and just focus on your own life; you'll be much happier for it.
If one puts the sentiments of “screw everyone else” and “focus on your own life” into a stranger, don’t we get a self centered bastard that we all decry as unattractive? And aren’t we all just strangers to another person?
People could perceive that particular individual to be as such, but that would be ignoring all the circumstances that caused the person to hold such a cynical viewpoint. You mentioned your work on this website before, so I'm sure you've met at least someone who had a similar perspective and opinion on people. These sentiments don't just materialize into someone's mentality.
If wearing a skirt as a man has taught me anything, it’s to be more empathetic towards the struggles of others.
It SHOULD be the case, but it's far too often that people take such compassion for granted and promptly decide to take a massive dump on all of it just because they don't like what you're wearing. F*** 'em.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:28 am If wearing a skirt as a man has taught me anything, it’s to be more empathetic towards the struggles of others.
I believe this is one of the benefits of voluntarily becoming one of a small minority; we empathise and others learn to accept.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

denimini wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:49 am
ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:28 am If wearing a skirt as a man has taught me anything, it’s to be more empathetic towards the struggles of others.
I believe this is one of the benefits of voluntarily becoming one of a small minority; we empathise and others learn to accept.
Couldn’t agree with you more. Wanting others to accept our choices should allow us to learn to accept others. Even if we do not agree with them
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:04 am People could perceive that particular individual to be as such, but that would be ignoring all the circumstances that caused the person to hold such a cynical viewpoint. You mentioned your work on this website before, so I'm sure you've met at least someone who had a similar perspective and opinion on people. These sentiments don't just materialize into someone's mentality.
My experience is people do perceive this because they cannot understand the persons circumstances until they get to know them. And having a “FU” mentality is not conducive to getting to know someone. It sets up a self-fulfilling prophecy of “everyone sucks.” Just MY opinion.

It SHOULD be the case, but it's far too often that people take such compassion for granted and promptly decide to take a massive dump on all of it just because they don't like what you're wearing. F*** 'em.
I understand this sentiment. It’s harder to walk a mile in another’s shoes than tell them to just “F off” but I think the effort is worth it. Otherwise we trend towards a world where everyone’s pissed off. And that’s no fun. Again, just MY opinion.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:04 am You mentioned your work on this website before, so I'm sure you've met at least someone who had a similar perspective and opinion on people.
You’re right. I have. And I’ve learned from them. Their perspective makes them their own worst enemy. When your preconceived notion is “everyone’s out to get you” you focus only on the things that prove your point not realizing most people are too engrossed in their own lives to give two snots about you to expend the effort.

Iligitimi non carborundum

Edited to add: this is just MY opinion.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:19 pm Iligitimi non carborundum
I think I have had some cheap twist drills like that :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

To paraphrase Groucho Marx, if you walk a mile in someone else’s shoes, you’re a mile away and you’ve got his shoes.