What people really think

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jimskirts

What people really think

Post by jimskirts »

With the bud light boycott because of the trans spokesperson it really gets people talking on how they feel about men dressing in anything but labeled/accepted as men’s clothing.
Men seem to feel pretty strong on fashion all of the sudden, about half of what I’ve heard from co worker’s comes across as them having their masculinity challenged. A small percent definitely against anything out of the norm.
Pretty interesting to hear what people think without trying to be politically correct
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: What people really think

Post by ScotL »

When the mere presence of a trans woman challenges someone’s masculinity, the problem is not with the trans woman but the fragility of that man’s masculinity.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

jimskirts wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:24 am With the bud light boycott because of the trans spokesperson it really gets people talking on how they feel about men dressing in anything but labeled/accepted as men’s clothing.
Can you send some examples? I avoid most social media, but I would be curious if there are any examples of discussions around clothes.
jimskirts

Post by jimskirts »

Coder wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:37 pm
jimskirts wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:24 am With the bud light boycott because of the trans spokesperson it really gets people talking on how they feel about men dressing in anything but labeled/accepted as men’s clothing.
Can you send some examples? I avoid most social media, but I would be curious if there are any examples of discussions around clothes.
I’m not talking social media
There has been some lively discussion at work.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

What people say and what they think can be quite different. We will never know what others really think.
What they say can be a good indication of what they believe other people are thinking.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
jimskirts

Post by jimskirts »

ScotL wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:18 am When the mere presence of a trans woman challenges someone’s masculinity, the problem is not with the trans woman but the fragility of that man’s masculinity.
That is very true.
Some are more fragile than you would expect
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

jimskirts wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:21 am
I’m not talking social media
There has been some lively discussion at work.
I too avoid social media, I catch the occasional report that Google throws at me, and of course trans issues are front and center of virtually every state legislature right now (either for or against depending on the politics of the state).

It's almost like nothing else matters at the moment.

And the end of all this, I do fear that this rhetoric is going to set us all back a few steps, "men in skirts" included.

As for the beer, well... I don't drink. It's kind of ironic that the neocons have staked out this hill, as in, if I recall my scripture, drunkenness is also frowned upon in the good book.

Well... we could just reinstate prohibition... that would eliminate the Bud Light situation....

Oh, but then what would Joe Six Pack drink every night?

This. Is. Getting. RIDICULOUS!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

"What people really think"?

Well... there in lies the problem... they don't. They're just mindless zombie sheeple that regurgitate whatever vomit their media influencers spout out of their mouths.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:51 am This. Is. Getting. RIDICULOUS!
Very much so.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The old preachers used to say that in the end times, there will be a great expanding of knowledge...

I never understood how that could be possible, but then the internet happened, and I'm seriously starting to wonder if the human species as a whole has the evolutionary equipment to really handle the onslaught of nonstop information being thrown at us at the moment. I'm starting to think this may actually be our downfall as a species.

I've watched some serious (non cynical) lectures about this phenomenon. Ever since humans evolved into our current state in the evolutionary tree, for tens of thousands of years, all of us, in our divided little tribes seldom knew of each others existence. Indeed, as far as each tribe was concerned, there was only one culture, and that was the culture of the local tribe in question.

And then the internet and world wide travel basically forced thousands of years of competitive tribes into one small little box that we all have to share somehow. I don't think our collective brains are wired up for this.

There are different cultures of people that actually believe that they, and they alone represent the pinnacle of humanity, that their beliefs and culture reigns supreme over all others.

As a species we're going to have to figure out how to get along or we're not going to make it much longer.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:15 amI never understood how that could be possible, but then the internet happened, and I'm seriously starting to wonder if the human species as a whole has the evolutionary equipment to really handle the onslaught of nonstop information being thrown at us at the moment. I'm starting to think this may actually be our downfall as a species.
We can't wait for evolution in this case because we don't have the time remaining for the process to work. In this case, humans are going to need to exercise their ability to learn in order to adapt to the current situation -- at least those that can, and something will need to be done about those who can't (or won't).
As a species we're going to have to figure out how to get along or we're not going to make it much longer.
Indeed -- and the clock is ticking.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:15 am The old preachers used to say that in the end times, there will be a great expanding of knowledge...
I think they are referring to Armageddon. The place where the “last” battle of good versus evil will occur and where there will be a revelation. At the revelation, as the word means, all knowledge will be revealed.

I don’t take it literally as in the battle scenes of the Lord of the Rings where there is such a binary spilt between good and evil. More, I’ve been taught at the moment of our deaths, we will know. Then everything you believed you knew or did during life will be put into the proper light.

Read, this is not an argument for or against the afterlife or the presence of God. Please, let’s not get into that discussion here.

This is an extrapolation of Pascal who had a crisis of himself where he was agnostic but also a naive pragmatist. He said if there is a God and he doesn’t believe, then he’s doomed. If there isn’t a God, it’s irrelevant if he believes since in this scenario, there ain’t one. Weighing the possible outcomes, he thought he should believe on the chance there is a God. Problem is, God would know if he was faking it.

Popular thought is there will be a cataclysmic ending. But I think about TS Eliot. This is the Way the World Ends: Not with a Bang but a Whimper
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:09 am
moonshadow wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:51 am This. Is. Getting. RIDICULOUS!
Very much so.
I believe it has been ridiculous for a long time. As a human living a life under one hundred years usually, we have a myopic view of history.

The burning of witches.

Drawing and quartering.

Crucifixion.

When has society been openly tolerant of others or discordant thought?

The “they” in “they always say” always say history softens reality. That our memories have a way of smoothing over the rough spots and recalling them in a way that makes us look better back then.
jimskirts

Post by jimskirts »

Most negative comments made were mostly toward drag queen types and full cross dressers trying to pass as female.
There will probably be some backlash toward men in skirts or dresses but most of the negativity was towards people trying to pass off as something they are not.
I live in Las Vegas and it is pretty accepting of non conformity, my coworkers have not made any direct comments about me wearing women’s pants at work or making an issue of it in general.
We see transgender people and cross dressing somewhat regularly.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I see Bud has entered a soft apology for linking up with the trans girl. They're really over a barrel now... if they don't drop Dylan then they alienate a good chunk of their market demographic (Joe SixPack), if they do drop Dylan then the run the risk of progressive boycotts..

Boy howdy.... A lesson for companies everywhere... keep your politics confined your super-PAC funds.

I mean... that was kind of dumb of Bud Light... the official beer of "Joe Sixpack".... :lol:

Put her likeness on some fancy cocktail drink or something... nothing you'd stock in a cooler.

Anyway... fun side note... took a long ride in the mountains today, and walked some of the trails. I found it interesting that almost all of the littered beer cans along the trails and abandoned camp sites were... BUD LIGHT.

I'm not kidding... I don't think I saw any otherr brand.

Obviously Bud Light is the official beer of the lowest common denominator, pure white trash, can't even pack out their own garbage...

Yeah, Bud Light screwed up.... it's trashy beer for trashy people.... of course they're going to raise hell about a trans girl...

So, on second thought, I don't think these "woke boycotts" really represent a majority of people the world over. Bud is simply a product that appeals to a very specific demographic, and that demographic is stereotypically regressive, bigoted, and short sighted. Honestly we'd see the same result if NASCAR or the NRA endorsed a transgender woman.

So yeah, I'd say this endorsement probably did hurt their bottom line... I'd wager at least 80% of their customers are assholes.... that's 80% of people boycotting. Sure... that's gonna hurt.
-Andrea