What people really think

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What people really think

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I really don't understand why everyone keeps misspelling BUTTWIPER BEER! When I was allowed to drink beer my favorite domestic was a brew that was bottled in Philadelphia, PA. It was called Schmidt's of Philadelphia. It was brewed by the strict standards of the German Beer Brewing Association. The main brew master was German and came here to work for the company. They were later taken over by some conglomerate and the brew master retired. The beer went down hill after that. The money pinchers took over.
I tried ButtWipper and had one of the most sickening head aches I have ever had and that was after only half a bottle. I could not even finish one bottle of the crap.
So please lets keep the name correct "BUTTWIPER". Thank You one and all!! :)
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I tried beer once, WAY back in 1977, hated the taste and never touched the stuff since. What people see in beer is a mystery to me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Like many things Jeff it is an acquired taste and once you have a taste for it, it rarely leaves.
A bit like wearing skirts and dresses !
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:25 pm I tried beer once, WAY back in 1977, hated the taste and never touched the stuff since. What people see in beer is a mystery to me.
I can say the same thing about Coffee, I can stand the smell or taste of the stuff but it seems I am a small minority when it comes to my dislike for Coffee.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

phathack wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:38 am
JeffB1959 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:25 pm I tried beer once, WAY back in 1977, hated the taste and never touched the stuff since. What people see in beer is a mystery to me.
I can say the same thing about Coffee, I can stand the smell or taste of the stuff but it seems I am a small minority when it comes to my dislike for Coffee.
You're not alone. I'm no fan of coffee either.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:54 am
Now we hit a weird thing for me. I can not stand hot coffee at all. When I have had to drink it I tend to make it half milk and sugar. But I do like the flavor of it in ice cream. I also like iced coffee and do drink a lot of it all year round along with my iced tea.
Go figure!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:08 pm
JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:54 am
Now we hit a weird thing for me. I can not stand hot coffee at all. When I have had to drink it I tend to make it half milk and sugar. But I do like the flavor of it in ice cream. I also like iced coffee and do drink a lot of it all year round along with my iced tea.
Go figure!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I’m fine with the aroma of coffee, it’s the taste I can’t stand.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

e2k2houck wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:47 pm Wear what you want and to hell with what other people think.
Fully agree
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

So this weekend our bike team put on a cyclocross race. I was the volunteer coordinator. As part of it the volunteers had to wear a safety vests. So I figured that it would be a perfect time to wear my high vis safety kilt. I figured that I would get some comments, but I had no idea how many that I would receive. Over the two days of racing there must have been close to 2,000 people there and I received no less then 300 comments. Everyone LOVED it. Both man and woman complemented me. I even had a few people ask me where I got it, or if I made it myself. Not one negative comment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Looks great, fun, and confirms again - wear it confidence and all is well.

It also looks like it should be marketed to road traffic control folks -- so many suffer the summer heat out in the direct sun on pavement ---these would be a 'safety' boon to the workers!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

If you have lived your entire life seeing only females wearing skirts, being taught that skirts are only worn by females and that they exist as a signifier of all that is feminine, then of course you will find the sight of a regular man, or ordinary boy, wearing a skirt to be incongruence. Your gut reaction will be "but males don't wear skirts" - and you may never progress to the logical question which follows, i.e. "but why don't they?" The answer to that, to the less insightful mind will be "well, because they don't" (a circular argument) and that will follow on to "they just look silly" - OR - "they want to look like women/girls".

The mistake I see on this discussion board all too often is that some on here reinforce this. When you say in justification of lame skirt-wearing that males can be feminine, too, you are conceding that skirts are feminine attire and, as such, any man wearing one is eschewing his masculinity. That idea might find favour with the trans side, but they comprise a tiny minority and one which looks as though it might be facing some serious blowback for the extreme ideas of the trans activists. My view is that the female monopoly on skirts is simply an unfairness, a social discrimination on the grounds of sex, and that our society should correct this by recalibrating some (not all) of its notions of what constitutes masculinity and femininity. It should be as natural for a masculine man to wear a skirt as it is for a feminine woman to wear trousers; it should be as natural for a normally-developing boy to wear a summer dress on a warm day as it is for a girl to wear denim shorts and a tee-shirt.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Stu wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:38 am Your gut reaction will be "but males don't wear skirts"
I wonder if that is really the case. I'd expect the vast majority of people to have a brief thought "that's unusual" and continue with their day. You have to be the kind of person who spends their entire day judging others to want to spend more effort on it. That sounds terribly tiring, though they surely exist (see Twitter).
Stu wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:38 am The mistake I see on this discussion board all too often is that some on here reinforce this. When you say in justification of lame skirt-wearing that males can be feminine, too, you are conceding that skirts are feminine attire and, as such, any man wearing one is eschewing his masculinity.
For me masculinity and femininity are not mutually exclusive. If people want to wear skirts because it makes them feel more feminine, that's for them. You don't have to agree with them. More importantly, you can't tell from the outside why they're doing it, and it doesn't matter in the slightest.
Stu wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:38 am My view is that the female monopoly on skirts is simply an unfairness, a social discrimination on the grounds of sex, and that our society should correct this by recalibrating some (not all) of its notions of what constitutes masculinity and femininity. It should be as natural for a masculine man to wear a skirt as it is for a feminine woman to wear trousers; it should be as natural for a normally-developing boy to wear a summer dress on a warm day as it is for a girl to wear denim shorts and a tee-shirt.
I don't disagree. However, while it's true that women wear trousers, they're not the same trousers. They're cut differently, and look different. It would not be surprising if over time men's skirts looked obviously different to women's skirts, same for summer dresses. For the people who care about such things, that can help. But there are plenty of stories of men buying trousers from the women's department simply because they fit better. And vice-versa.

Final note: "society" does not do things. Society is the emergent behaviour of lots of people doing their own thing. It would be better if we had different words for "masculinity' and "femininity", but we are where we are. No-on has proposed better ones. Societies and cultures change as time progresses, and if you want change, you have to do it yourself. As the saying goes: be the change you want to see.

<begin rabbithole>
This phrase of often attributed to Ghandi, but he didn't say it. He did say something much deeper though.
“We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.” – Mahatma Gandhi
<end rabbithole>
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As men have broader shoulders than women, dress/robe like garments for men would indeed look different. Not necessarily skirts; but the tops worn as part of the rig would still tend to differ for the same reason.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

"What people really think"... I'm increasingly becoming convinced that they don't any longer. Just about everything now seems to be knee-jerk reactions rather than reasoned responses.

Sad.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:12 pm "What people really think"... I'm increasingly becoming convinced that they don't any longer. Just about everything now seems to be knee-jerk reactions rather than reasoned responses.

Sad.
I have to agree people do not think any more. They react and usually not in a good way. Most people have forgotten how to think, they worry it is too hard to think. So they just react to what ever is in front of them and do so the same as the guy next to them. It then becomes mob mentality.