What people really think

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Re: What people really think

Post by TSH »

ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:10 pm
TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:04 am People could perceive that particular individual to be as such, but that would be ignoring all the circumstances that caused the person to hold such a cynical viewpoint. You mentioned your work on this website before, so I'm sure you've met at least someone who had a similar perspective and opinion on people. These sentiments don't just materialize into someone's mentality.
My experience is people do perceive this because they cannot understand the persons circumstances until they get to know them. And having a “FU” mentality is not conducive to getting to know someone. It sets up a self-fulfilling prophecy of “everyone sucks.” Just MY opinion.
It's hard not to succumb to this. This isn't a single-isolated thought-process; lots of people feel this at some point in their lives — even when it's personally not what they believe in.
ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:10 pm
TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:04 am It SHOULD be the case, but it's far too often that people take such compassion for granted and promptly decide to take a massive dump on all of it just because they don't like what you're wearing. F*** 'em.
I understand this sentiment. It’s harder to walk a mile in another’s shoes than tell them to just “F off” but I think the effort is worth it. Otherwise we trend towards a world where everyone’s pissed off. And that’s no fun. Again, just MY opinion.
Aren't we already at that point?
ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:19 pm
TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:04 am You mentioned your work on this website before, so I'm sure you've met at least someone who had a similar perspective and opinion on people.
You’re right. I have. And I’ve learned from them. Their perspective makes them their own worst enemy. When your preconceived notion is “everyone’s out to get you” you focus only on the things that prove your point not realizing most people are too engrossed in their own lives to give two snots about you to expend the effort.

Iligitimi non carborundum

Edited to add: this is just MY opinion.
Lots of my venting is from people trying to make laws that harm others; asserting their own ideological beliefs to those who don't (and won't) share them; arguing more about the right to bear arms than the actual protection of those who, too often, find themselves victims of those who bear said arms. These are issues that affect the entire country; the fact that I have to justify what I'm wearing to my family just accentuates my already cranky and irritable mood and my sordid outlook on humanity. Women don't have to explain themselves, so why should men? That's why I concur with what Andrea said earlier. People don't think, at least enough, to realize the hypocrisy right in front of their eyes.

Also, you don't have to state that your opinion is... your opinion. No one here is gonna shame you for having one.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:25 pmWomen don't have to explain themselves, so why should men?
There it is, crystallised for the masses to see. Done.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:25 pmWomen don't have to explain themselves, so why should men? That's why I concur with what Andrea said earlier. People don't think, at least enough, to realize the hypocrisy right in front of their eyes.
I bring this point up every time I talk with my one family member that knows about my skirting. I get an "I see your point, but women only wear skirts"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:39 pmI bring this point up every time I talk with my one family member that knows about my skirting. I get an "I see your point, but women only wear skirts"
And really the only rejoinder to a crack like that is, "You should get a life."

The Real World is a messy place, and full of characters you might prefer to be unaware of. However, sticking one's head in the sand is not the way forward. The way forward is to understand what's happening -- and one does not acquire that thinking by hiding from reality.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:39 pm I bring this point up every time I talk with my one family member that knows about my skirting. I get an "I see your point, but women only wear skirts"
Then you say,

"Well, am I a woman?"

They'd respond,

"No."

Then you respond,

"And here I sit, in a skirt, your logic is flawed...."

checkmate.

I tell ya, it's like people can't believe their own eyes anymore...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:04 am
ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:28 am
TSH wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:10 amScrew everyone else and just focus on your own life; you'll be much happier for it.
If one puts the sentiments of “screw everyone else” and “focus on your own life” into a stranger, don’t we get a self centered bastard that we all decry as unattractive? And aren’t we all just strangers to another person?
People could perceive that particular individual to be as such, but that would be ignoring all the circumstances that caused the person to hold such a cynical viewpoint. You mentioned your work on this website before, so I'm sure you've met at least someone who had a similar perspective and opinion on people. These sentiments don't just materialize into someone's mentality.
If wearing a skirt as a man has taught me anything, it’s to be more empathetic towards the struggles of others.
It SHOULD be the case, but it's far too often that people take such compassion for granted and promptly decide to take a massive dump on all of it just because they don't like what you're wearing. F*** 'em.
Ironically, I think this might have been a (or the) hidden message behind the Kid Rock video I posted. Aside from it's insanely crass and temper tantrum style production, deep down under the surface, to survive in this era of ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS CULTURE WARS, one really does seem to have to adopt the mentality "THIS IS ME AND F--- YOU IF YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH IT!!!" He honestly probably doesn't give a crap one way or another about trans-girls or men in skirts, perhaps the production was just meant to be "in your face", sometimes, that's what it takes.

I mean, you may not say that out loud, but I'd be lying if I said I never screamed that in the back of my mind a few times during those "hostile outings".

People are jerks, and sometimes you've just got to fight fire with fire. I mean, kindness and diplomacy should always come first, but as they say in the 'hood, "sometimes you just gotta cut a mutha-f--ka". :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

denimini wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:36 pm
ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:19 pm Iligitimi non carborundum
I think I have had some cheap twist drills like that :)
Like the drill bit that comes as a free extra? You get what you pay for
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Midas wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:17 pm To paraphrase Groucho Marx, if you walk a mile in someone else’s shoes, you’re a mile away and you’ve got his shoes.
The wit of some transcends time. Wish I coulda seen him live
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

Almost 3 years ago when I started to wear skirts I was so afraid of what people would think. I started wearing them only in my apartment and when I walked with my G/F after dark. Well the 1st time I wore a skirt on public was after we had gone for a hike, I changed into my skirt on the trail there wasn't anyone else on it. Well when we were done and started driving home we stopped for gas and some snacks. I just went in and paid for the gas and snacks in my fleece mini skirt and nobody even blinked. So that gave me a little more confidences. So I started wearing them more and more. Now they are all I wear anymore, except when I'm at work or on the motorcycle. The truth is I really don't care what other people think. If they have a problem with me wearing a skirt, it's their problem not mine. There are only a hand full of people who's opinion matters, my kids, grandkids and a few friends. The truth is that when it really comes down to it there are very few people that care what we, men, are wearing skirts. The problem is that they are very vocal about it so it seams like there are a lot of them but they aren't. If they have a problem with me wearing skirts I ask them if they believe in jesus christ and if they worship him. If they say yes I ask them why is it ok for him to wear a dress but I can't wear a skirt? And when it comes down to it I have received plenty of complements, from both men and woman. The latest was from a body builder at the gym. He asked me it I was Scottish. I told him no, that I just like wearing my skirts because of how comfortable they are. With that he said that he was Scottish and wished he had the confidences to wear one. Wear what you want and to hell with what other people think.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

e2k2houck wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:47 pm Wear what you want and to hell with what other people think.
This is what I go by. I do not care about what others think of what I wear. I wear what I like and want, and those who say I can't can kiss my rosy red pucker spot.
I have the right to wear what I want unless it will cause me or others harm. Wearing a skirt or dress will not harm anyone.
So the loud mouthed nosy red faced zealots and their bull horns can just go hippity hoppity down their bunny trail to some cage wear they can rot!!

Just me two cents worth and you are thanked for listening. :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

e2k2houck wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:47 pm Almost 3 years ago when I started to wear skirts I was so afraid of what people would think. I started wearing them only in my apartment and when I walked with my G/F after dark.

Well when we were done and started driving home we stopped for gas and some snacks. I just went in and paid for the gas and snacks in my fleece mini skirt and nobody even blinked. So that gave me a little more confidences.

Wear what you want and to hell with what other people think.
I have been wearing skirts much longer but like you said mostly at home with my SO and at a distance from others when in public. Thanks to encouragement by reading at the cafe I have in recent times been interacting with others while skirted. Last week I travelled a lot, six days and over 2000Km. This required buying fuel and food and also checking into motels all while skirted. And as they say the sky didn't fall in. My last stop was for fuel on the way home where people from my home town regularly stop for fuel and snacks, high chance of seeing someone you know. Even though it was busy I fuelled my car, paid and went on my way feeling much better for having done so. Another day another step. I didn't wear a skirt for a couple of appointments and for the two days i spent with my grandchildren. Something to aim for one day.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

the truth is that I feel uncomfortable if I am not wearing a skirt
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

As a former craft brew drinker bud light was already considered a joke, we were always making wisecracks along the lines of what straight guy would drink something THAT light? Then this happened and it became an even bigger "official" joke. I can't help but laugh every time I see them.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Budweiser?

Blandweiser. Awful industrial muck. DNPIM.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

When in Rome......&c. I have a raft of Family resident in England and visit them as often as possible. When there I take advice and drink their draught real ales, a lot of which are seriously good.
Last time I spent a w/end with my eldest son & family on Worcestershire he invited me to don wellies and walk footpaths with him to a known pub 'for a pint'. The walk turned out to be five MILES and worth it for the quality of ale served. However on our return to his house I felt like another and he fortunately had perfectly serviceable bottled stuff to hand.

Here in Ireland I drink draught Guinness, of course. Budweiser? Forget it.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !