Frills and Ruffles

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Frills and Ruffles

Post by denimini »

Out of courtesy for FLbreezy I have started this "thread" an appropriate term for this topic.
Despite a "Form follows Function" background, I like a bit of decoration on my clothing in the manner of a frill or a ruffle. I do find it more daunting to wear in public than my mini skirts but I guess it is just a matter of taking it in easy steps again and people adjusting to something else that is different.
Most men don't wear skirts ............ but they can.
Same with frills and ruffles; they don't but they can.
I took up Carl's challenge of why a man should not wear frills and could only muster a feeble argument with as many holes in it as the lace itself.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Frills and Ruffles

Post by Coder »

John Pertwee / Dr Who - need I say any more?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

For a company that makes men's tops (mostly for the ren faire scene, but I don't see why you couldn't wear some of their stuff daily) with a bit of flourish, see:

https://www.verillas.com/tops/

These aren't the ruffled tops of the 70's, but have some accoutrements that most men's shirts don't.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

denimini wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:34 am Out of courtesy for FLbreezy I have started this "thread" an appropriate term for this topic.
Despite a "Form follows Function" background, I like a bit of decoration on my clothing in the manner of a frill or a ruffle. I do find it more daunting to wear in public than my mini skirts but I guess it is just a matter of taking it in easy steps again and people adjusting to something else that is different.
Most men don't wear skirts ............ but they can.
Same with frills and ruffles; they don't but they can.
I took up Carl's challenge of why a man should not wear frills and could only muster a feeble argument with as many holes in it as the lace itself.
I adore pleats, frills and ruffles. Nearly every skirt I own has a bit 'flow' to it. I also liked AL's ruffle shirts. Think Cornish clifftops :).

There's a love / hate relationship between frilly men and the British public. Grayson Perry receives much derision and yet he has a CBE and knighthood

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

denimini wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:34 am they don't but they can.
I think this could be said about an awful lot of things but I believe that many men believe they cannot.
Jon Pertwee was my Dr Who and here is Adam Ant, frills definitely with no ill effects.
I don't recall any men I knew emulating them.
Worth noting that some formal pseudo Highland outfits incorporated lace to absurd levels.
Not for me but once more, never say never.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Personally, I prefer a more simple, plain look.

But that's part of my religious tradition--I'm a Mennonite.

No judgment on those who have different preferences, and strong support of the freedom to make such choices.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:06 pm For a company that makes men's tops (mostly for the ren faire scene, but I don't see why you couldn't wear some of their stuff daily) with a bit of flourish, see:

https://www.verillas.com/tops/

These aren't the ruffled tops of the 70's, but have some accoutrements that most men's shirts don't.
Perhaps I have a different definition of frilly. This is what I think of when I think of frilly.

https://ajeworld.com/products/amour-ruf ... berry-pink

The shirts from that website look like variations of the ghillie shirts for kilts. I have one that’s just with ties in the middle. Wore it once but it just seemed very costume like. Not natural. Again, I mean no offense, please do not presume any negativeness by this post. These are just MY opinions.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:48 pm Perhaps I have a different definition of frilly. This is what I think of when I think of frilly.

Wow, now THAT is frilly! Actually, I have a skirt like that, but it's made in a solid cotton and in green:

I have the skirt above in olive green tones, and it probably is my favorite of all my skirts, even if a bit fru fru.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:56 pm
ScotL wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:48 pm Perhaps I have a different definition of frilly. This is what I think of when I think of frilly.

Wow, now THAT is frilly! Actually, I have a skirt like that, but it's made in a solid cotton and in green:

I have the skirt above in olive green tones, and it probably is my favorite of all my skirts, even if a bit fru fru.
It's really nice skirt Coder, if I had that skirt I would wear it. It deserves to be shown.
If the frilly item of clothing is so frilly it makes the wearer look like they are wearing a four year olds party dress then; man or woman: what the heck? Not the red skirt BTW.
I sure you are able to style the skirt. The only trouble I would have is finding the right shirt. Something light maybe?
Last edited by Barleymower on Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:56 pm

I’m glad it’s your favorite. It’s too bad you don’t feel like you can’t wear it. I hope you can. Not my style but I’m eternally thankful that the world isn’t just like me. Think of how boring. Diversity of styles is wonderful.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:39 pm I’m glad it’s your favorite. It’s too bad you don’t feel like you can’t wear it. I hope you can. Not my style but I’m eternally thankful that the world isn’t just like me. Think of how boring. Diversity of styles is wonderful.
Well, not to work - it's a bit more boho/attention-grabbing (even in the olive green) than would be work-appropriate. At least, for day to day stuff. Maybe to a formal work party? But even then, those tend to be a bit stuffy.
Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:57 pm I sure you are able to style the skirt. The only trouble I would have is finding the right shirt. Something light maybe?
I've worn it to a party with a rust-colored sweater, but also felt a t-shirt would work (navy). The seller styled it with a white blouse and textured gray tweed blazer. I tried in vain to find a similar blazer, but never did - just as well, as I don't really wear them.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:01 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:57 pm I sure you are able to style the skirt. The only trouble I would have is finding the right shirt. Something light maybe?
I've worn it to a party with a rust-colored sweater, but also felt a t-shirt would work (navy). The seller styled it with a white blouse and textured gray tweed blazer. I tried in vain to find a similar blazer, but never did - just as well, as I don't really wear them.
I've been avoiding saying it because of the 'fem' association but its a lovely skirt and needs a light, bit fluffy shirt to go with it. - a blouse. I could say to hell with the consequences and get it.
If you can't find a blazer how about a waistcoat ? Or a tank top sleeveless jumper?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:40 pmI've been avoiding saying it because of the 'fem' association but its a lovely skirt and needs a light, bit fluffy shirt to go with it. - a blouse. I could say to hell with the consequences and get it.
There is precisely one difference between "men's" shirts and what are known as "blouses" -- the tails. Contemplate that for a few moments, and then think about items like Hawaiian shirts and madras shirts which lack tails, and thus can be worn nicely untucked as the tails are designed to hold told the things inside the trousers. Now, contemplate the new "fad" of "shirts" designed to be worn "untucked" (or, worse, in the "French tuck" -- those are blouses. Full stop.
If you can't find a blazer how about a waistcoat ? Or a tank top sleeveless jumper?
I'm a massive fan of waistcoats as my thread in "Pics and Looks" will handily point up. The conventional "singlet" (in UK English" or "wife-beater" in US English) is one approach, but if one is after that silhouette, why discard the notion of the "camisole"? In very hot weather, I am known to deploy such styles with short skirts. That attracts a lot of attention, some of which may not be favourable, but if it's 30+ degrees (C) in the shade with high humidity, I'd rather be comfortable and dismiss the commentary. I have a couple that I deliberately purchased because they are nice enough to be worn on their own as well as a layering piece (which the others were purchased for).

We should not let the lexicon get in the way of progress.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:20 pm There is precisely one difference between "men's" shirts and what are known as "blouses" -- the tails.
I dislike Men's shirts because the tails stick out below the hem of my mini skirts looking like a wayward petticoat.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

denimini wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:14 am I dislike Men's shirts because the tails stick out below the hem of my mini skirts looking like a wayward petticoat.
"Dock" them then?
Steve.