What skirt length do woman prefer men to wear?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
lemac

What skirt length do woman prefer men to wear?

Post by lemac »

I wear,mini, midi and maxi skirts. Each has advantages and disadvantages . Not wanting to crossdress but just be a man who likes to wear skirts for comfort,what length would you recommend for a man in his 70s. I like A line skirts best. I try to have pockets and belt loops with front fly zippers in denim or wool or rayon etc. I have some skirts with zippers in back or on the side. How much flair is to much ? I am 5 ft 8 in 170 pounds. Thanks.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What skirt length do woman prefer men to wear?

Post by Barleymower »

lemac wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:01 am I wear,mini, midi and maxi skirts. Each has advantages and disadvantages . Not wanting to crossdress but just be a man who likes to wear skirts for comfort,what length would you recommend for a man in his 70s. I like A line skirts best. I try to have pockets and belt loops with front fly zippers in denim or wool or rayon etc. I have some skirts with zippers in back or on the side. How much flair is to much ? I am 5 ft 8 in 170 pounds. Thanks.
I can't speak for women. I can only speak for myself and what my wife and daughter have said.
For me it's from knee or just above the knee to maxi. Although I don't have any maxi. My longest skirt is a long midi and I hardly wear it. Mostly, 90% of the time I wear below the knee to midi.
One of my skirts is full circle but is not flared. I like skirts with plenty of material, they are the most comfortable and don't restrict.
I do have a little flare on one or two but nothing for than that. I don't want to look like a lamp shade.
I pair my skirts with otherwise 'mens' clothes eg socks, shoes, shirt, jumper or jacket.
Personally I don't to dress like a women but respect those who do. I just expressing my freedom to dress as I choose and not how society dictates.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

My wife likes me wearing the shorter ones best in informal circumstances. I think that's because she likes to put her hands underneath it. In more formal situations she wants me more "decent", so at least to the top of the knees.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Hmmm, I think the range of women's preferences about skirt length for men would be similar to the range of preferences of men's skirt length for themselves. There would be a percentage of women that do not like men wearing skirts at all, not that I have personally met any.
I am a man on my 70's and wear skirts in public from 11.5" to 14" and at home down to 10". On hot days I have worn a 13" cotton skater skirt to the Post Office and store. I prefer side and rear zip fastening because a front fly type arrangement is a bit like fake pockets; totally useless.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

denimini wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:39 am I prefer side and rear zip fastening because a front fly type arrangement is a bit like fake pockets; totally useless.
I hadn't thought of it that way, but yes I have skirts without a front fly - fake or real.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I wear skirts that fall around my knee most of the time, though I do have a couple of Maxis Skits @ Dresses that come out in winter. I do wear some women's tops with them, the ones that have a more unisex look to them.
All my skirts are pull-on elastic waists so no zippers at all.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that most women don’t like men in skirts, period. That’s been my experience anyway. But I’d say if women had to choose a preference it would be knee length, similar to kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Offkilter69 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:56 am I’m going to go out on a limb and say that most women don’t like men in skirts, period. That’s been my experience anyway. But I’d say if women had to choose a preference it would be knee length, similar to kilts.
Hi Offkilter, your first sentence sums it up perfectly.
It will depend on who is asking and also the one asked.
If I put the question to a lot of my female acquaintances yeah I could get answer.
The same asked of the woman in my family would elicit a rather different response.
Lemac, if you have a special person in your life, ask her and do share the response please.
On a wider note if you are thinking that wearing a skirt will attract a romantic interest, think again.
For that, a Kilt is your best option, more likely your only option.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Offkilter69 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:56 am I’m going to go out on a limb and say that most women don’t like men in skirts, period. That’s been my experience anyway. But I’d say if women had to choose a preference it would be knee length, similar to kilts.
My limited experience suggests the younger generation likes/accepts it more. But I’ve almost exclusively worn a kilt. Older women also have been very positive to me as well. I’d go out on a limb and suggest you’ll get more kudos if you incorporate a skirt/kilt into your otherwise male wardrobe then if you suddenly change your entire kit towards a female outfit. People hate change. Especially suddenly change.

I also think women tend to like kilts/skirts in other men but less their men. Women also are beholden to the draconic negativity of the world with what a man wearing a skirt might mean. They’ll be fine with an acquaintance wearing something but their man can’t do the same. We all have insecurities that force us to do irrational things.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Tricky one isn't it? What women want.
You have to ask yourself: what does this truly mean to her?
1. Is it the aesthetic?
2. Is it territory?
3. Is it the opinion of others?
4. Is she worried that her man might join the other side and no longer provide or be a spouse?

If she is prepared to stand by your side as she promised in her marriage vows then 1,2,3 can be sorted between the two of you.
If it's 4. Then that's on you. She rightly doesn't want to be abandoned. She needs to be reassured.

Only after all that has been sorted out can you chat about skirt length.

I spent a lot of time reassuring my wife and quite a lot of gifts. After that I needed to shut up about it and get on with it without constantly asking for her approval.

In the end its your choice not hers but we have to remember that we also have to live together.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo's
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:12 am I also think women tend to like kilts/skirts in other men but less their men. Women also are beholden to the draconic negativity of the world with what a man wearing a skirt might mean. They’ll be fine with an acquaintance wearing something but their man can’t do the same.
Exactly.

Some attractive man wearing a skirt: (aesthetic reasoning) "Seems nice"

Her man wearing a skirt: (emotional reasoning) "What will people think? What will my girlfriends think? Is he gay? Is he bi? Does he want to be a woman? Does this impact the secureness of our relationship?"

But to answer the original question, I really feel like kilt-length to lower-/mid-thigh looks the best, but I've seen plenty of counter examples in other lengths.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:53 pm ...After that I needed to shut up about it and get on with it without constantly asking for her approval.

In the end its your choice not hers but we have to remember that we also have to live together.
Well put. As long as I respect her wishes if something was really off the charts bad looking or inappropriate, I'm sure she's just happy I'm wearing clothes at all. :lol:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Off-The-Wall-Thought - - -

When men look at women, they're seeing the woman's 'sex-appeal' by what they wear.
If a woman wears bulky items, hiding their 'curves', a man will not think of 'sex-appeal'
as the woman "blends-in" to the rest of the world. If a woman wears more revealing
clothing, the male hormones start taking over(sex drive). SOME women's clothing
leaves little to the imagination.

I think this works in reverse, too. When a woman looks at a man, HIS 'sex-appeal' is on display.
If he's wearing tight, form-fitting clothes, her hormones take over, driving her imagination into
wild exotic thoughts. Her exotic thoughts could be heightened if a man wears an 'open bottomed'
garment(skirt or kilt).

Women do not want 'their man' to be oogled by other women. He's HER man, not to be
out 'On-The-Market' to other women. If HER man wears normal(dull) clothing she doesn't
have to worry about losing him to another woman.

I hope these "thoughts" are understandable by the readers.

Just my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

ScotL wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:12 am

My limited experience suggests the younger generation likes/accepts it more. But I’ve almost exclusively worn a kilt. Older women also have been very positive to me as well. I’d go out on a limb and suggest you’ll get more kudos if you incorporate a skirt/kilt into your otherwise male wardrobe then if you suddenly change your entire kit towards a female outfit. People hate change. Especially suddenly change.

I also think women tend to like kilts/skirts in other men but less their men. Women also are beholden to the draconic negativity of the world with what a man wearing a skirt might mean. They’ll be fine with an acquaintance wearing something but their man can’t do the same. We all have insecurities that force us to do irrational things.
I’ve actually incorporated kilts quite a bit into my regular attire. Even during the winter I wear one at home at least twice a week. During warmer months kilts have essentially replaced shorts for me. Kilts are a decent compromise, but I have always regarded them as a bridge to eventual skirt wearing.

My SO has gone with the flow pretty well- I’ve worn kilts just about everywhere. But, she still clearly does not favor them. Compliments from her are rare to nil when I wear them, and I’ll likely never get “you should wear a kilt tonight” or “I like it when you wear a kilt”. It is what it is. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’m wearing them for myself, no one else. At the end of the day at least I will have no regrets. Skirts will eventually get incorporated into the mix as well. Life is too short to miss out on something so benign that gives one pleasure just because it doesn’t comply with an idiotic social norm.

Yes, I think many “supportive” women go by the mantra that it’s okay for men to wear skirts and dresses— as long as it’s not their man or son. There’s double standards galore regarding this topic, and most everyone on this forum knows them all too well.

Time to change into a kilt— Happy Tartan Day!!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Offkilter69 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:12 pm

I’ve actually incorporated kilts quite a bit into my regular attire. Even during the winter I wear one at home at least twice a week. During warmer months kilts have essentially replaced shorts for me. Kilts are a decent compromise, but I have always regarded them as a bridge to eventual skirt wearing.

My SO has gone with the flow pretty well- I’ve worn kilts just about everywhere. But, she still clearly does not favor them. Compliments from her are rare to nil when I wear them, and I’ll likely never get “you should wear a kilt tonight” or “I like it when you wear a kilt”. It is what it is. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’m wearing them for myself, no one else. At the end of the day at least I will have no regrets. Skirts will eventually get incorporated into the mix as well. Life is too short to miss out on something so benign that gives one pleasure just because it doesn’t comply with an idiotic social norm.

Yes, I think many “supportive” women go by the mantra that it’s okay for men to wear skirts and dresses— as long as it’s not their man or son. There’s double standards galore regarding this topic, and most everyone on this forum knows them all too well.

Time to change into a kilt— Happy Tartan Day!!
Crap, national tartan day on a day I wore the black Adidas skirt in the car ride home. Hahahaha!

Well, if you’re not wearing for yourself, who are you wearing for? I like to think we wear for ourselves and our SOs love us because of who we are. But SOs can be difficult people to figure out. But to paraphrase a Barbara Hubbard quote ‘they know everything about us, but love us anyway.”