New fashion trend - guess what it is?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

New fashion trend - guess what it is?

Post by Barleymower »

https://youtu.be/ajknUaRD6Ms

Hey skirt fans. Just seen this on YouTube. It's only got 89 views but hasn't been up long. It nicely promotes the new skirt trend.
Mostly kilts or tarten skirts as they should be called. And a nice shot of homer in a kilt. Also mentions ticktok where mens skirts got 280million views.
Uncle Al

Re: New fashion trend - guess what it is?

Post by Uncle Al »

:thumleft: :thumright:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Some nice pictures, one or two of which I haven't seen before (!). But the computer-generated voiceover is painful, and ludicrously pronounces "Versace" as "versus" instead of "versatchi". (I even wondered whether the text was AI-generated too: the channel's producers are based in India, but seem to be trying to attract an American audience.)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:35 pmSome nice pictures, one or two of which I haven't seen before (!). But the computer-generated voiceover is painful, and ludicrously pronounces "Versace" as "versus" instead of "versatchi".
Once even one element of artificiality comes into play, it calls the entire thing into doubt. If the voice was computer-generated, then the odds of the rest of it being so become exponentially higher, and once two falsifications can be identified, then it's time to toss the whole thing as a fake.

Sadly, chatbots and "deepfakes" are getting to be approaching ever-present, and so we need to be watchful of them. Some will be amateurish attempts, like those we see here at the moment, but some can be surprisingly convincing, especially if their "message" aligns with what one already believes.

In short, it pays good dividends to be sceptical of what one reads -- especially if it somehow "sits wrong". "Was that text actually written by a human being?" Well, did it "feel" like it was? Did it have emotion to it, or was it the cold inhuman tone of the chatbot? "Was what I just watched real?" Did the camera angles, focus, lighting, and shadows all look real? Was the audio that what a human might say conversationally (as that's how most write these days)? Those are valuable cues to spot problems -- not just here, but elsewhere on-line and, quite possibly, coming to a TV near you in the not-too-distant future.

Finally, sometimes it can take days of exposure to come to a conclusion -- and all the while you've been being led along.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

No idea about how it was created but the voice was annoying ad nauseum.
Pictures, were nice enough I guess.
I guess my age and experience preclude me from spotting a non-human creator of such things really.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

I give them credit for trying. It’s not easy to create high quality content and someone somewhere wanted to help MIS. One thing I’ve learned from my foray into skirt wearing is I’m less judgmental of others cause I am ever hopeful they’ll be less judgmental of me.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

There's now one comment on the video. It's unpleasant. Sigh.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:38 pm Finally, sometimes it can take days of exposure to come to a conclusion -- and all the while you've been being led along.
Cynicism alert, is this really aimed at helping anyone?
Just another way to make a few bucks would be more like it, no?
Acceptance may come but the driver won't be found in material like this.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:43 amCynicism alert, is this really aimed at helping anyone?
Just another way to make a few bucks would be more like it, no?
Actually it was intended to serve as a bit of an alarm on the matter, for stuff that leads people on and attempts to change perceptions may be being deployed for any number of reasons, and making a quick profit is far from the most nefarious.

One of the problems with humans is that they're human, and they tend to be rather trusting when dealing in "natural language" -- which is why chatbot creators and creators of fake media try so hard to get the language close to "natural". Fortunately, for the astute reader (or listener, audio can be trivially faked as well) most chatbots aren't as adept with the language as they need to be to completely hide in the woodwork and there are usually hints that the text was not written by a human mind. So far, so good, but the problem is that the human needs to be acutely "dialled in" when analysing the text -- and most people aren't because that takes a lot of effort, and sometimes it's just not worth exerting that effort.
Acceptance may come but the driver won't be found in material like this.
Indeed, even one whiff of inauthenticity puts me off the scent now and can discredit (a) the source and sometimes (b) the concept.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

A single word comment, or reply, does not tell a story. That single word opens the mind to
many different possibilities. Many of the "replies" indicate the reply-er automatically associated
today's definition of words to be, what potentially could be considered, taken out of context.

I went back to the video and separately posted another comment, which was directed to the
original commenter. All replies to 'his' comment, was hidden - you had to 'display' the replies
as those comments do not automatically show up.
To respond to Lou Cifer (Really?)
Gay originally meant Happy, Cheerful, Fun
No sexual context was ever implied. Get A Life!
I wonder how many people used today's definition of 'Gay' versus what the original definition was :?:
Merriam-Webster wrote: adjective
2 a: happily excited : merry in a gay mood
. b: keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits : a bird's gay spring song
3 a: bright, lively gay sunny meadows
. b: brilliant in color
Written February 25 2010, this article How ‘Gay’ Came to Mean ‘Homosexual’ gives a good history
of how definitions change over many, many years.

I still applaud the video creator and commentator. Once you get by the dialect of the
commentator, she showed great support for Men In Skirts. :clap:

(Re-read the name of the person who left a single word comment :twisted: )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Thanks AL, that's how I saw it too. A very positive take on mens skirts.
I'll add: Old Nick can do the other thing!
Also: good to see members of the skirt cafe taking him to task.