Men's Skirts are Mainstream (!)

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Men's Skirts are Mainstream (!)

Post by FLbreezy »

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fash ... rend-2023/

More of the same but I'll take it.
"Menswear dress codes continue to loosen up and become more personal," says Fisher. "Skirts seem to pop up every few years in different forms—like wraps or kilts—but this time they are here to stay as a legit option."
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men's Skirts are Mainstream (!)

Post by Coder »

If only I could figure out a way to send this to two of my family members, sigh.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:57 pm https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fash ... rend-2023/

More of the same but I'll take it.
"Menswear dress codes continue to loosen up and become more personal," says Fisher. "Skirts seem to pop up every few years in different forms—like wraps or kilts—but this time they are here to stay as a legit option."
Gotta loves these lines from the article:

“ In fact, so many celebrities, influencers, and early adopters have embraced the garment that it's (slowly) becoming, well, just normal.

“It wasn’t to make a statement,” Browne says of his first men's skirt. “It was something that felt right to me at the moment—a continued evolution of the gray suit in a new proportion and silhouette.”

I’m not sure it’s normal but I do feel there’s a slackening of what I perceive would’ve been like to wear a skirt ten years ago.

It also seems to legitimize what I feel. Over the last ten to twenty years, men wearing skirts was a novelty act to garner attention that came about every two to three years with a hopeful promise that this was the latest trend only to fall flat for two to three years. Maybe I’m just naive or a newbie or optimistic but it does feel like there is a groundswell of interest for men in skirts that no longer is the novelty act garnering attention but a legitimate clothing choice for men. Men who are more secure in their masculinity but men.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:39 pm If only I could figure out a way to send this to two of my family members, sigh.
Want me to show up at their door wearing a skirt whilst holding the head of the bear I just wrestled to death to show them how manly I am?

What if I bring a honey baked ham and an apple pie…
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:45 pm
Coder wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:39 pm If only I could figure out a way to send this to two of my family members, sigh.
Want me to show up at their door wearing a skirt whilst holding the head of the bear I just wrestled to death to show them how manly I am?

LOL - not sure either would fly. I might try to find an Instagram post on it and send it to my sister's, but knowing how the duck purse went over, not sure I want to send her something like this directly.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:47 am
ScotL wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:45 pm

LOL - not sure either would fly. I might try to find an Instagram post on it and send it to my sister's, but knowing how the duck purse went over, not sure I want to send her something like this directly.
Ok, guess they’re vegetarians. I’ll just bring the vegan apple pie.

Wonder if you need someone else that they’re good friends with/related to show them the latest men wearing skirts trend. Has to be someone they admire and wouldn’t want to contradict. Good luck finding that person.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

If they don't respect you as it is, an internet article won't amount to a hill of beans.

Unless you depend on them for some reason or another, just go do you. If you're waiting on permission, you're not going to get it. You're already a free man, you just have to saddle that pony and ride! They'll either come around... or they won't.

I challenged both of my contrary parents to my choice in dress... one grudgingly accepted, the other didn't. One is still in my life, the other is not. I am no worse off.

Makes me happy I didn't have a social life, friends, or family that really ever came calling prior to my wearing skirts... see, I really didn't have much to lose either way.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:08 am If they don't respect you as it is, an internet article won't amount to a hill of beans.

Unless you depend on them for some reason or another, just go do you. If you're waiting on permission, you're not going to get it. You're already a free man, you just have to saddle that pony and ride! They'll either come around... or they won't.
No - an Esquire article won't convince either of them - in fact being Esquire might put them off more to the idea - I think you can guess what they would think when they read it (one of them knows, but thinks I'm out of touch with what's normal when it comes to clothes). The main purpose would be just to see where - well, my sister in particular - she stands. Like, is it "defcon I'm never going to talk with him ever again" or just "you are weird, are you sending this to me because you want to wear skirts?".

I'm afraid it would end up being more of a weird conversion-therapy sort of middle ground with the sibling. I just don't think she could imagine a world where her brother wore a skirt, and if she knew, she'd spend the rest of her years trying to convince me I was wrong. Be it from religious, societal, etc... standpoints. Plus, she'd "work" my other family members, I just know it. I just don't have the mental stamina to broach the subject and deal with any fallout. I'd rather die, frankly, than deal with the stuff you put up with - I'm just not strong enough.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Was curious if this made it to social media:

https://twitter.com/esquire/status/1640765266748481536

I didn't see it posted on Instagram, which is the only social media I use nowadays.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:53 am I'm afraid it would end up being more of a weird conversion-therapy sort of middle ground with the sibling. I just don't think she could imagine a world where her brother wore a skirt, and if she knew, she'd spend the rest of her years trying to convince me I was wrong. Be it from religious, societal, etc... standpoints. Plus, she'd "work" my other family members, I just know it. I just don't have the mental stamina to broach the subject and deal with any fallout. I'd rather die, frankly, than deal with the stuff you put up with - I'm just not strong enough.
Here are the tricks I use to combat the old butterflies in the stomach with regards to wearing unconventional clothes...

Stress is the result of giving a @#$%.

I know what I am. I know the mistakes I've made, and I endeavor to atone for them as I can. I am not perfect, but I know the truth... neither is anyone else.

Sometimes I have a sick mind... sometimes so does everyone else.

I try to avoid people.

Women wear pants.

Everyone is crazy... seriously... just listen to people talk.... it's like it's all straight out of their a$$.

Honestly Coder, my biggest trick is I have absolutely no hope nor respect for the human species any longer. Every morning I wake up and I look outside and I see that society hasn't collapsed yet... I'm already impressed. I have set my bar VERY VERY low.

Yes... they [people] laugh... they're f----ing retarded coder. And I use the world "retarded" correctly., not as in with "downs syndrome", I just mean the species is getting dumber and dumber by the minute... EVERYBODY. The human species is WELL past it's prime and zenith.

I fully expect the world's society to collapse by the end of the century. Hopefully I'll be dead by then, but if not, at the very least, I'm going to get it while the gettin's good. I don't want to spend the last few remaining "free" years I have being afraid of my own shadow. You may look back at these years and regret the liberty that you had but were too afraid to exercise.

But frankly coder, even if the world doesn't come crashing down, one thing is FOR CERTAIN: Someday YOU WILL PERISH. And the the days of youth evaporate very quickly. We are all on this Earth but for a VERY short time. There is no proof of an afterlife, for all we know, this is it.

Live your life TODAY. Tomorrow may not come! If your sister loves you, she will come around.

Stop asking permission.... it's YOUR LIFE. To hell with ANYONE who tries to rule over you!

And those are my tricks of the trade. I looked at the people in my life and said "here I am... take it or leave it!". Some took it, some left it, but by God, I wear what I want to wear.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Oh, I agree 100% with you - and I'm really trying my best to be myself, I just can't around family.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:53 am I'm afraid it would end up being more of a weird conversion-therapy sort of middle ground with the sibling. I just don't think she could imagine a world where her brother wore a skirt, and if she knew, she'd spend the rest of her years trying to convince me I was wrong. Be it from religious, societal, etc... standpoints. Plus, she'd "work" my other family members, I just know it. I just don't have the mental stamina to broach the subject and deal with any fallout. I'd rather die, frankly, than deal with the stuff you put up with - I'm just not strong enough.
Coder,
Don't beat yourself up for this, there is nothing wrong in choosing to compromise at certain points for any number of reasons.
In this respect you are not alone, I can assure you. Look at some of the other stories around here and you'll see.
Moon said "giving a s***t causes stress and he's partly correct, conflicting families are right up there too.
I certainly learnt to cast my own sisters' disapproval aside and benefited immensely.
More widely and sadly, this line gives lie to the original title.
Men's Skirts are Mainstream, just not in the real world for many many men or boys.
As I said, no consolation but not alone at all.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:53 am
I'm afraid it would end up being more of a weird conversion-therapy sort of middle ground with the sibling. I just don't think she could imagine a world where her brother wore a skirt, and if she knew, she'd spend the rest of her years trying to convince me I was wrong. Be it from religious, societal, etc... standpoints. Plus, she'd "work" my other family members, I just know it. I just don't have the mental stamina to broach the subject and deal with any fallout. I'd rather die, frankly, than deal with the stuff you put up with - I'm just not strong enough.

Coder I saw the article here probably a few hours before it registered in the states and almost rushed to post it up in a hallelujah type moment. Then I thought "skirts are not mainstream, not in my world anyway or any world near me". Then with a big sigh, went to bed. The article is like many others like it. It is saying that the great revolution has happened when the truth probably is there has been a small movement in the positive direction. And that's a good thing. All of us must take heart in that. Your carefully considered approach to the integration of mens skirts into your life and by extension society has been significant.

I have said this before: your sister has no right, no right whatsoever to dictate how you choose to dress yourself. For her (or anyone else) to dictate to you while while wearing trousers is massively hypocritical. We all know this but it is worth reminding ourselves. While MIS is not as mainstream as we would like; it is happening and the time will come when she will have to shut up.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:24 am
I fully expect the world's society to collapse by the end of the century.
You are not alone in thinking this way. It certainly looks that way. It feels like the evil in mankind has concentrated itself in poiticians, CEO's and their followers. If I am to burn, I hope they burn with me.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:24 am I fully expect the world's society to collapse by the end of the century. Hopefully I'll be dead by then, but if not, at the very least, I'm going to get it while the gettin's good. I don't want to spend the last few remaining "free" years I have being afraid of my own shadow. You may look back at these years and regret the liberty that you had but were too afraid to exercise.
I certainly expect the end of the US hegemony before the end of the century. Probably earlier. What exactly this will mean for the rest of us, who knows?

And by then climate change will be very noticable. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the baby-boomers got the best run.

I'm with you on the: just do it, because who knows what later will bring.