Interesting article

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Interesting article

Post by Freedomforall »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -City.html

Just goes to show what most here have said all along. Wear it and own it, and most people will not even notice.
Uncle Al

Re: Interesting article

Post by Uncle Al »

I've read the article and watched the videos.

Great for these guys but the choice of dresses, were way over-the-top.
They are not for everyday wearing, but more for an evening out on the town
or a dinner party. I'm not sure where the orange & yellow dress would have
been better located. Not at a dinner party or other fancy event. Wren Faire :?:

These reporters should've considered their body type and event when selecting
what dress to wear for the day. A floor length gown is not an everyday sight.

Just my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:32 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -City.html

Just goes to show what most here have said all along. Wear it and own it, and most people will not even notice.
Wow. That’s a great article, thank you for posting that.

Not sure what to make of it in general. They say no one noticed or took offense but then their pictures show people noticing. They do mention people were mostly supportive.

The dresses themselves were clearly chosen to not blend in. The two blue dresses are fine. The orange one though is almost clown like and sort of feels a little like Alice in Wonderland. Note: the description of the dress as clown like is only my opinion, if you like that dress that’s great, please just don’t jump done my throat for expressing my opinion.

We will never really know what the people in the pictures are really thinking but I can’t help but wonder if some of the confused looks are also, “could I?”

Or are the confused looks surprised a guy is wearing a dress and the sky is NOT falling?

Or are they wondering what it’s like? A friend of mine had a son who was playing with my daughter and her friend and took a liking to wearing a fairy princess dress to the horror of my friend. A kid is a kid and hasn’t been indoctrinated to “boys don’t wear dresses” gender norms. We all chatted about it at the time like why wouldn’t a kid want to try on something other kids were having fun with.

And that first guy in the blazer and dress does produce a masculine look to a feminine dress.

It’s always good to shake some cages. And this article about their outings clad in a dress felt less like a spectacle and more of a “look what you can also do.”
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Yes, interesting and heartening; though it's true that central New York or central London are among the less challenging places to dress unusually. I have walked across Hyde Park in a pleated skirt, but I'm not sure I would feel confident to do it in, say, Liverpool or Glasgow.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:05 pm Yes, interesting and heartening; though it's true that central New York or central London are among the less challenging places to dress unusually. I have walked across Hyde Park in a pleated skirt, but I'm not sure I would feel confident to do it in, say, Liverpool or Glasgow.
I walked around Edinburgh in a pleated skirt, no one said anything. That skirt looked just like a kilt though. Hahahah
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:16 am Great for these guys but the choice of dresses, were way over-the-top.
... I'm not sure where the orange & yellow dress would have
been better located. Not at a dinner party or other fancy event. Wren Faire :?:
Well, I'll say one thing for the photos... they make me feel a little better about some of the silliness I've indulged over the years! :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:18 am
Well, I'll say one thing for the photos... they make me feel a little better about some of the silliness I've indulged over the years! :wink:
I have a feeling that you are epitomizing the thought that one looks back at their life and regrets the things they didn’t do way more than the things they did do. I fear if you hadn’t dressed the way you wanted to, you’d be lying on your death bed (hopefully many years from now) regretting not wearing a skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

ScotL wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:02 am
moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:18 am
I have a feeling that you are epitomizing the thought that one looks back at their life and regrets the things they didn’t do way more than the things they did do. I fear if you hadn’t dressed the way you wanted to, you’d be lying on your death bed (hopefully many years from now) regretting not wearing a skirt.
I have two regrets in my life...

1) I donated some clothes (both men's and womens) that I wish I had held onto.

2) I donated my record collection back in 2014, and I'm having a hell of an expensive time rebuilding it.

All of the rest of the mistakes I've made I don't regret... they were learning experiences, and each one served to help make me into the person I am today... and the ink is still wet, I'll be a work in progress until they put me in the ground.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Moon,
Join the club. I'm twice your age and they haven't taken the scaffolding down from round my head, where work is definitely still in progress!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

ScotL wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:35 pm
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:05 pm Yes, interesting and heartening; though it's true that central New York or central London are among the less challenging places to dress unusually. I have walked across Hyde Park in a pleated skirt, but I'm not sure I would feel confident to do it in, say, Liverpool or Glasgow.
I walked around Edinburgh in a pleated skirt, no one said anything. That skirt looked just like a kilt though. Hahahah
I’ve walked around Edinburgh city centre in a blue suede miniskirt and no one said anything.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

greenboots wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:22 pm I’ve walked around Edinburgh city centre in a blue suede miniskirt and no one said anything.
Aberdeen, Arbroath, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Montrose, Perth, Saint Andrews and Stirling.
Minis, midis and dresses too, and that is not to mention a couple of cities in England either.
In Aberdeen, yesterday and a wee bit of retail therapy, I bought a new skirt from Next.
Coincidentally similar to the Asos man skirt from another thread, pleats to front flat at rear and pockets too.
Wear a skirt to buy a skirt, tried on in-store, done and dusted.
My point is simple, I have no idea who may approve or disapprove and don't really care.
Think about it, tomorrow may be too late.
Steve.
Shots of the outfit will follow, I will have an "interesting" day on Thursday when I intend to unleash it on the world.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:35 am
greenboots wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:22 pm I’ve walked around Edinburgh city centre in a blue suede miniskirt and no one said anything.
Aberdeen, Arbroath, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Montrose, Perth, Saint Andrews and Stirling.
Minis, midis and dresses too, and that is not to mention a couple of cities in England either.
In Aberdeen, yesterday and a wee bit of retail therapy, I bought a new skirt from Next.
Coincidentally similar to the Asos man skirt from another thread, pleats to front flat at rear and pockets too.
Wear a skirt to buy a skirt, tried on in-store, done and dusted.
My point is simple, I have no idea who may approve or disapprove and don't really care.
Think about it, tomorrow may be too late.
Steve.
Shots of the outfit will follow, I will have an "interesting" day on Thursday when I intend to unleash it on the world.
The title of the article is:
Does wearing a dress REALLY make you less of a man?

Speaking from my own experience over the last 12 months. I would saw it definitely has an effect.

If I were to walk the streets clad in leather with heavy boots. I would likely feel all big and brave. Some might say like something out of a Frankie Goes to Hollywood video 😄. If I walk the same streets in a summer dress I probably would not feel so powerful. In fact it's true I don't feel very macho in a skirt.

It was a big fear of mine that following my instinct to skirts might lead to a whole new life. I did it anyway. I had to do it, my mental state was getting worse all the time.

One year later I don't feel less of a man wearing skirts. So no wearing a skirt does not make you less of man.

Ps when are we going to see the photos ??
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:21 pm Ps when are we going to see the photos ??
HI BM,
As this is only Tuesday???

Interesting point about the original question, "Less of a Man".
My own mental health was at a very low ebb just before I went publicly skirted too.
I'd say that it has made me more of a man.
Not in any recognised macho sense, but complete and at one with myself.
Given my current "challenge" it has also taught me how to be confident in the face of fear too.
The pics will appear over the weekend probably.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:38 pm
Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:21 pm Ps when are we going to see the photos ??
HI BM,
As this is only Tuesday???

Interesting point about the original question, "Less of a Man".
My own mental health was at a very low ebb just before I went publicly skirted too.
I'd say that it has made me more of a man.
Not in any recognised macho sense, but complete and at one with myself.
Given my current "challenge" it has also taught me how to be confident in the face of fear too.
The pics will appear over the weekend probably.
Steve.
Maybe what you say is at the centre of mens problems and why they cannot bear to be seen as feminine:

"more of a man. Not in any recognised macho sense, but complete and at one with myself"

Men are so fixated with being a man that they (we) can loose a sense of self. Complete and at one.

I think all men look at lovely clothes for women and think "I want that" and then say " but that would be gay". The only difference between us and them is we cannot put it out of our minds.

I can't say about the fear you must be feeling. No doubt my time will come.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:34 pmMen are so fixated with being a man that they (we) can loose a sense of self. Complete and at one.
Here's where it tends to go off the rails. If a man cannot be at peace with himself -- "whole and as one" -- he's failed. He will never fulfil his promise.
I can't say about the fear you must be feeling. No doubt my time will come.
I think Steve and I are in the same category -- we have transcended the fear. We are confident enough in our own bodies that we understand intimately that we can deflect any antagonism that comes at us due to our apparel, and we can do if deftly enough that a potential antagonist won't have a clue what hit him.

Men tend to be active creatures in their environments (and I use the term "tend" very intentionally), and if fear is present then being active becomes vastly more difficult. I'm not saying we should abolish fear, because fear is a vital component in our instinct for self-preservation. What I'm saying is that we should be able to use bravery to overcome it in most non life-threatening situations -- and wearing a skirt really oughtn't be life-threatening (unless you have an entirely hostile SO).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!