New Technologies

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fragility Barrier

Post by Grok »

rode_kater wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:27 am
I don't care so much about the number of years I live, as long as I'm healthy enough to actually live them, rather than being stuck in a wheelchair.
I hate the idea myself. Watched what was happening to my late mother-when she used a cane she still had some dignity. She was robbed of dignity when she had to use a walker.

I regard a quad cane as the limit. You are still somewhat independent, and still have a tiny scrap of dignity. After that you are just waiting to die.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Technologies

Post by Grok »

Looked at AnAge: The Animal Aging and Longevity Database. In the article for the Bowhead Whale, it was mentioned that a whale's age is estimated with a technique called aspartic acid racemization.

The article I tried to link to was an arctic kingdom article, "The Mystery of the Oldest Bowhead Whale." When killed, fragments of a metal harpoon were discovered in the shoulder of a Bowhead. Of a type that was used briefly during the late 19th century. Indicating that this particular Bowhead was probably at least 130 years old.

I have seen various estimates for the maximum lifespan of the Fin Whale, ranging from 94 years to 135-140 years.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The other link that didn't work was an NIH article, "The Goal of Geroscience Is Life Extension." Discusses drugs, and combinations of drugs, that may have geroprotective properties.

To test geroprotection, there are a couple studies in which rapamycin is given to dogs, and Marmoset monkeys, respectively. Marmosets are species of South American monkeys, and are noted for having the shortest life spans of all anthropoid primates. So we may have primate data in a few years.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fragility Barrier

Post by phathack »

Grok wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:22 pm I hate the idea myself. Watched what was happening to my late mother-when she used a cane she still had some dignity. She was robbed of dignity when she had to use a walker.

I regard a quad cane as the limit. You are still somewhat independent, and still have a tiny scrap of dignity. After that you are just waiting to die.
Grok that is where I am now, getting around with a Rollator, a walker with wheels. I use a cane to get into places where my walker can't go, like in my bathrooms.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I was thinking about Coder's robot dog.

What would a mechanical avatar look like for chatbots?

Perhaps something that looks less like Wall-E and more like a puppet.

We may get a hint of the end result from the trailer for Wonder Falls.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

A judgement call every individual must make for himself, phathack.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Laser/plasma display.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Parthenogenesis achieved in mammals for the first time.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:07 pm Parthenogenesis achieved in mammals for the first time.
If that's the case, then the rad-fems have won. Men will become completely disposable and ultimately extinct. Not a terrific outlook if you ask me. (No, I didn't read the article. Somehow, "syfy.com" doesn't ring as powerfully as a medical journal.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Depends on whether or not in vitro gametogenesis will work for men. In theory, an ova could be derived from his tissues, and subsequently be fertilized by his own sperm. As I understand it, there would be some reshuffling of genes, but all of the genes would originate with him.

Checked into the possibility of an Artificial Womb, but though the premature can be helped, we still can't duplicate the woman's womb. A woman would be needed as a gestational surrogate.

My thoughts about cloning-if it can be made to work well in humans, its most likely use would be for infertility.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

A mouse with two mothers.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Another geroprotective drug?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Animatronic pets.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:33 pm
Grok wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:07 pm Parthenogenesis achieved in mammals for the first time.
If that's the case, then the rad-fems have won. Men will become completely disposable and ultimately extinct. Not a terrific outlook if you ask me. (No, I didn't read the article. Somehow, "syfy.com" doesn't ring as powerfully as a medical journal.)
Let's not exaggerate shall we? No matter what technology does, it will never be as simple as "the usual way", and certainly never as cheap. Most people find the act itself quite pleasurable and like to partake in it fairly often. I worry about many things about the future, but this one isn't on the list.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Good point, rode_kater. If any of these concepts can be made to work for humans, by far the most likely use would be for infertility.