New Technologies

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Technologies

Post by Grok »

I reached a conclusion regarding time reassignment-it doesn't work with black and white video.

First got this impression with the old black and white newsreels of world war II. You can find these online. Instead of a sense of immediacy, you have the impression that you are getting a glimpse of ancient history.

The earliest I found was a black and white newsreel from the Second Anglo-Boer War. (1899-1902) This was included as a clip to a story about the last veteran, 111 years old at the time.

Found a clip from the Central Asiatic Expeditions, back in the 1920s.

1930s interviews of American civil war veterans.

A black and white newsreel from the Korean War.

Intellectually, I know that all of these predate my birth. However, I think the key factor is that our species sees in color. Black and white seems a bit off. We do see in black and white (if just barely) under conditions of very low illumination. But our vision has a definite bias towards color.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Off course, you also get an impression of ancient history with 19th century photography. BTW, the Crimean War wasn't the first to be photographed. There is a web site that features very early photographs from the Mexican-American war, during the year 1947.

What we have with these early photographs, and those black and white newsreels, is a ghost of the past.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Grok wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:25 am Off course, you also get an impression of ancient history with 19th century photography. BTW, the Crimean War wasn't the first to be photographed. There is a web site that features very early photographs from the Mexican-American war, during the year 1947.

What we have with these early photographs, and those black and white newsreels, is a ghost of the past.
Mexican-American war, April 25, 1846 – February 2, 1848
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Thanks, phathack. The old photos and newsreels are another example of old technology interacting with modern technology. In this case, it amounts to educational material that is easily/quickly found online. A niche sort of thing.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: human chimerism

Post by Grok »

Chimerism was mentioned in another thread.

Discussion regarding human chimerism.

As I understand, deliberate creation became possible with in vitro fertilization.

Would anybody be interested? Maybe same sex couples?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Don't know what happened to the first link. If you follow the links (genetics0) you can get to the second article, Chimera genetics.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Try this again.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: human chimerism

Post by rode_kater »

Grok wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:47 pm As I understand, deliberate creation became possible with in vitro fertilization.

Would anybody be interested? Maybe same sex couples?
I can't think of any possible reason why why you want to deliberately introduce chimerism in humans. It would just seem to increase risks. If it works you don't even see any effects, because all the important processes are regulated via hormones so independant of DNA. So I see no benefits, only risks.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

That's not chimerism though. That's just making a new gamete from two parents which are not able to do it the normal way. The baby will still only have a single set of DNA.

Having multiple sets of DNA just doesn't seem like a good idea. Even if it does seem to happen in the wild.

PS Your second link is broken: nim -> nlm. You can edit the post.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Thanks, rode_kater.

IVG.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Awhile back I noticed the Alexa/Siri type apps. Technology had finally caught up with the original (1960s) Star Trek-the computer you can talk to, and it answers back using speech, supplying useful information.

Been sort of napping since then, was surprised when I came across mention of "AI girlfriends" in the 33 Secrets. In effect, going from Star Trek to the movie Her.

Others have commented about this Women have been upset. Men, in general, are much more approving.

Some people have made references to Bladerunner, Cherry 2000, The Stepford Wives. Confusing glorified dolls with the sophisticated robots of science fiction.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Regarding AI girlfriends....

Looked at another YouTube video, "AI Girlfriends Are REPLACING Women?" by Lauren Chen.

Lauren Chen is upset by that idea. Comments made:

@mobillismaccaw7450-"I honestly think it will develop along Japanese lines: Man, wife, geisha (personal entertainer/secretary AI)."

@Tulsastalking-"Have a long term gf..still want my own ai companion...."