Relevance.

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Relevance.

Post by Barleymower »

Not really my style either. It does epitomise the ridiculousness of the situation. Based on current social values you can take a man's garment, make it into a women's garment that is now off limits to men because they don't want it? They dont want it because they are told they don't want it. I'm getting dizzy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:30 amBased on current social values you can take a man's garment, make it into a women's garment that is now off limits to men because they don't want it? They dont want it because they are told they don't want it. I'm getting dizzy.
Masculinity did not used to be so fragile. We were vastly better off as men rather than lemmings.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

An interesting article. If this is how Eddie chooses to express his relevance, good for him, I admire his determination.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

JeffB1959 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:24 am An interesting article. If this is how Eddie chooses to express his relevance, good for him, I admire his determination.
Hi Jeff,
I agree, celebrity or not, the relevance is to Eddie/Suzie/Izzard and them alone.
This is the prime reason that I feel that male stars who don skirts for the red carpet are a waste of space.
It was actually the comments, the name and the TERF thing which set me thinking.
Eddie had Suzie at ten years old, I had Sara at five and she lives in my head somewhere even now.
However, I am not Sara and I know that I never will be.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:34 am Masculinity did not used to be so fragile. We were vastly better off as men rather than lemmings.
Perhaps men amd women are the same as they have ever been. The social construct that divides the sexes is crumbling. Women were the first to knock down the walls. Now it's the men's turn.
The difference is women went from a position of weakness to one of power. Men are moving in the opposite direction. We will meet in the middle.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:11 amThe social construct that divides the sexes is crumbling.
No, I think the wall is quite intact, thank you. In fact, I suspect it's stronger, taller, and stouter than ever -- and has also moved to where men, little lemmings that they are, have been shoved into the dismal corner of machismo and stripped of their basic humanity.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:55 pm
Barleymower wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:33 pm Here's and interesting one; a womens skirt made from a man's shirt
Not that I'd try it, but even to my eye I can see how it is done.
Incidentally and here is another example of how deeply engrained words are.
Why is it a "women's" skirt made from a "man's" shirt.
Do we know who it actually belonged to and who created the upcycled garment too.
Tongue in cheek really but if you bought it would it be a man's skirt?
Actually I like the idea but not that particular design, just not me.
Here's a thought, it could be done with two garments and create a dress.
That's one for the DIY folks.
Steve
For those who have a sewing-machine, here are three guides to making your own "skirt from a man's shirt" that I found after a rapid web search.

https://sewguide.com/diy-shirt-skirt/
https://fashionwanderer.com/mini-skirt-from-mens-shirt/
http://www.redflycreations.com/2012/09/ ... shirt.html

Most charity shops have plenty of suitable men's shirts (e.g. my nearest Salvation Army shop had at least 15 at £1.00 each) though, for the final article, dark colours would likely be preferable.
Familyman34
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

There is a sewing machine in the house but I don't know how to use it. I will have to learn the skill.I like the skirt!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:21 pm
Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:11 amThe social construct that divides the sexes is crumbling.
No, I think the wall is quite intact, thank you. In fact, I suspect it's stronger, taller, and stouter than ever -- and has also moved to where men, little lemmings that they are, have been shoved into the dismal corner of machismo and stripped of their basic humanity.
It could be said it's more diverse. There is a group of people meeting in the middle but the extremes have becomes more polarised.
MIS are seeking to normalise the wearing of skirts by men. You could say MIS are part that middle group. I think the key is to stay positive and keep doing what we are doing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:47 pmIt could be said it's more diverse. There is a group of people meeting in the middle but the extremes have becomes more polarised.
I am alleging that the balance has become badly lopsided where the women have a huge swathe of space to occupy and men have been relegated into the broom-closet of machismo.

Yes, there is "meeting in the middle", but where that was once the norm it's now a strange exception -- and it takes a very brave man indeed to venture off his assigned little island, especially if he doesn't want to get tagged with a wholly-inaccurate label.
MIS are seeking to normalise the wearing of skirts by men. You could say MIS are part that middle group. I think the key is to stay positive and keep doing what we are doing.
We are very much so -- and we're continually at risk of getting tagged and marginalised for the hubris of being out of "our place".
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:06 pm
I am alleging that the balance has become badly lopsided where the women have a huge swathe of space to occupy and men have been relegated into the broom-closet of machismo.

Yes, there is "meeting in the middle", but where that was once the norm it's now a strange exception -- and it takes a very brave man indeed to venture off his assigned little island, especially if he doesn't want to get tagged with a wholly-inaccurate label.

We are very much so -- and we're continually at risk of getting tagged and marginalised for the hubris of being out of "our place".
From the view point of the privileged equality looks like oppression. That's what I'm told.

I agree that venturing off my assigned island takes bravery. It doesn't get easier for me. Every time I go out I take a deep breath and there are places I won't go and people I won't tell.

In some respects we only have ourselves to blame, we welcomed it. It would be unmanly to complain.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:48 pmFrom the view point of the privileged equality looks like oppression. That's what I'm told.
B.S. Men are no longer "privileged" -- if they ever were. Recall the ancient adage of, "Those who rock the cradle rule the world."

You're using the lingo of the TERFs.
In some respects we only have ourselves to blame, we welcomed it. It would be unmanly to complain.
No. This was foisted upon us. I, for one, absolutely know I never accepted it.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:03 am
Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:48 pmFrom the view point of the privileged equality looks like oppression. That's what I'm told.
B.S. Men are no longer "privileged" -- if they ever were. Recall the ancient adage of, "Those who rock the cradle rule the world."

You're using the lingo of the TERFs.
No. This was foisted upon us. I, for one, absolutely know I never accepted it.
Top tip Carl ill remember that one.
Debating aside. My mum was difficult person, she went crying to anger to hitting on a daily basis. I've always known about nasty side of women. I've always steered clear of women with these traits spending my time with less aggressive types. I've no wish to spend my life as a punch bag while simultaneously being told its my fault.
In my working life I have worked alongside women with the same traits as my mum. I've met them head on, I have not 'skirted' around the issue. Those personality types will not stop and will kick you when you are down. Conversely some less alpha men will stab you in the back.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:50 am
ScotL wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:00 am You’ve been fantastic at wearing a skirt to work. Do you think even ten years ago this would’ve been met with what seems like quiet indifference from your colleagues?
Yes I do. I might have gotten actual questions ten years ago, but the town I work in and the residents are known for being… weird. I think people just roll their eyes and say, “well, that’s this town for ya”.
That’s what I mean. Ten years ago and people pose questions to you. Today, nothing. Same guy in the same skirt. But what may once have been discussed is now not.

Progress in this men in skirts world is slow and never will be as fast as we want. Mostly because the edict that it’s ok to wear a skirt as a man will never come because we lack people to make such edicts that actually mean anything. And because what our minds want and what we actually do differ. And I’m ok with that. I feel we all need to get there at our own speed with the encouragement of those who have gone before us.

In bungee jumping (if you’ve never tried it, do, unbelievably amazing feeling), they’re not allowed to push you off but that’s the one thing you really need. But the process of building up your confidence to do it yourself is more important than the actual falling through air.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:42 pm That’s what I mean. Ten years ago and people pose questions to you. Today, nothing. Same guy in the same skirt. But what may once have been discussed is now not.
I think it's for a different reason, though. I think 10 years ago curiosity would have gotten the better of people - today I think they are afraid of being cancelled, looking like a bigot, or insulting someone. They are told to "accept everyone" and whilst the message has gotten through, it has made interactions soulless. I think there should be a base level of discussion - how else are men going to wake up and realize they can wear what they want? Certainly not by seeing another guy so attired, though I suppose that helps.