WaPo column

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
ScotL
Chatbot

WaPo column

Post by ScotL »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... n-message/

Interesting read and I have a feeling we will all appreciate the quote from Sandi. For those who can’t get to it, she states boys wearing girls clothes are just cool.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: WaPo column

Post by crfriend »

A trick that I've found works with some of these damned paywalls is that if you're quick enough is that you can stop the download before the pernicious payload gets delivered and blocks the page.

The other approach is to find the content elsewhere and simply avoid the original.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

If you are really quick you can Select All and Copy the page, then Paste into a word processor and read at leisure.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

It happens to fast for my computer to stop the paywall.

So what is the content of the article???
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Here's the text. There are lots of postit images with differing views on fashion and politics:

Opinion What are America’s priorities? Ask the fashion world.

By Christine Emba
Columnist

During last week’s State of the Union address, I found my attention diverted by one weird detail.

It wasn’t any policy proposal of President Biden’s or alarming statistic about fentanyl. What I couldn’t stop thinking about, as the cameras panned the House, was Sen. Kyrsten Sinema’s lemon yellow dress, with its nearly skintight cut and gigantic, butterfly sleeves.

Christine Emba: How do you stop abortion? Here’s what antiabortion marchers told me.

Why so bright? Why those sleeves? Can anyone sitting behind her see? Why wear that … tonight?

After all, clothing carries meaning. Sinema was trying to say something — but what?

In D.C., fashion is rarely the first thing on anyone’s mind, as the ill-tailored suiting so common to our halls of power attests. Elsewhere, however, careful attention is paid.

As it happened, just a few days after the president outlined his priorities in the political Capitol, New York Fashion Week set out to do the same in our cultural one. I went there to ask this season’s attendees — designers, models, photographers, street style stars — what fashion has to say about our current moment.

Story continues below advertisement
Claude Shannon, the MIT professor known as the father of information theory, drew a distinction between data and information. Data is normative — the events we expect. Information, however, is created when an event deviates from the norm — the surprise holds meaning.

Follow Christine Emba's opinions
A sea of blue and gray suits is normal. A canary yellow dress is a surprise.

The $350 billion U.S. fashion industry creates one of the country’s strongest exports: Levi’s are soft power, the cowboy hat an internationally recognized symbol. Theories abound as to whether hemline lengths or lipstick colors reflect the national mood — or can actually predict it.

“These days, your pocketbook is political. How much money you have is political. So what you buy says something,” fashion photographer and filmmaker Nigel Barker told me.

He noted that recent seasons have been marked by clothes that might be called “boring.” “But it seems wrong,” he said, “at a time when most of the world is affected by the Ukraine war in one way or another, and we’re coming out of a pandemic, and we’re maybe in a recession, to show things that are out of people’s reach and imagination. You have to appeal to the zeitgeist.”

What’s more, adornment has always been used to make statements that might not otherwise be said at all, to proclaim allegiance, to critique the norm, to poke fun or provoke anger.

Again and again, people told me how fashion is a marker of identity — especially in a climate in which many identities feel newly under threat.

“I don’t think you can remove yourself from what you stand for,” said Phillip Lim, whose award-winning label was sponsoring a Fashion Week show in a gallery on the edge of Chinatown. “For me to exist as an Asian American-led brand is politics itself. To be successful as an independent designer but also one of AAPI heritage, it’s the ultimate form of protest.”

Said designer Terry Singh: “I have a little girl, and I make clothes for myself and versions for her — because when we go out, she would say, ‘I want to wear what you wear.’”

His striking collection combines traditional Western suiting with the Indian dhoti. The skirts, beautifully pleated and tailored, challenge staid definitions of masculinity.

“There’s something about the connection between a father and a daughter,” he said. “We’re one and we’re unified, wherever we go. We’re the evolution of everything that came before us, the pain and struggle that every family before us went through to get us here. I want to dress you for that, for what they’ve worked for.”

There will always be those who insist fashion doesn’t matter, that clothing is superficial and those who care about it silly or snobbish. But in the clothes we wear, the way we do our hair, our makeup or accessories, all of us convey something about who we are — and what we think.

Fashion speaks. And it’s wise to listen.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:28 pm A trick that I've found works with some of these damned paywalls is that if you're quick enough is that you can stop the download before the pernicious payload gets delivered and blocks the page.

The other approach is to find the content elsewhere and simply avoid the original.
I've finally taken the plunge and invested in a VPN subscription. So far it's really helped find the "free internet". You'd be surprised what's blocked in the states.

I bounced this article through Mexico and it loaded fine.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I rather like this comment, it echoes what Mark Twain wrote all those years ago.

"Why should we wear uncomfortable overly warm expensive clothes? Why can't we be comfortable and leave behind the Victorian mind-set?
Right now I'm wearing a pull-over cotton shirt, jeans, an old bathrobe ( instead of using more energy for heating the house) and knock-off Crocs. And no makeup or perfume. I'm not stuck in the 1930's-1950's image of a woman wearing a dress and heels with a bow in her hair. Old men, if you want to see that look watch an old Disney cartoon or dress that way yourself."

Really, it should be "cool" for anyone to dress how, where and when they choose.
Way too sweeping but still essentially true.
Steve
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:34 am Really, it should be "cool" for anyone to dress how, where and when they choose.
I strongly agree!
especially if you are willing to give that freedom to us nudists.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Jim wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:50 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:34 am Really, it should be "cool" for anyone to dress how, where and when they choose.
I strongly agree!
especially if you are willing to give that freedom to us nudists.
Right on Jim!!! :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.