Adidas Gender Neutral Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Adidas Gender Neutral Skirt

Post by ScotL »

Whilst online, typing “skirt cafe” to get here, that adidas gender neutral skirt that cost $80 here in the US but less overseas was “on sale” for $36. Click bait and I was hooked I admit. Read a bit and it is kilt like, as it wraps around and has clasps on each side.

Online they have a size guesstimator that suggested I was between L and XL.

Just got it and large is a tad bigger than I had hoped. And FYI, the material has minuscule little shiny bits of almost glitter in it. I think they’ll wash out.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Adidas Gender Neutral Skirt

Post by photoguy207 »

I have one. I really like the way it fastens after you wrap it and the pockets are great. I plan on wearing it one day when I am on vacation in the Caribbean next week.

I first bought an XL. Then it never shipped and they cancelled my order. When I reordered. I got the L. Fits perfect and I am around a 16 in women’s.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

There was a thread about it a while back, the reviews are positive though the sizing falls a bit on the large size.

I like mine too and intend to wear it once it gets a bit warmer.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Wore it yesterday around the house. Do love it for comfort but yeah, it runs large. The sparkly bits in it have decreased and must’ve been some manufacturing thing.

My son told me it looked like one of my running kilts cause of the material. I changed into a linen kilt for Valentine’s Day. It’s dressier and the topic came up cause my wife asked how dressed up we needed to be for dinner. I said I was changing and that prompted the discussion.

The kilt I wore is linen and is the same one from cozy blue I wrote about when I flew for the first time skirted. Google linen kilt and you’ll find it. It’s really comfortable but I was then surprised no one commented. Well, last night I got three compliments. Well, two compliments and a random guy who I guess did state his approval but mostly his surprise. His date liked it and I did say that they’re way more comfortable than pants to laughter that belied an eye opening sort of response.

The hostess and waitress really liked it and were not shy about complimenting me. No further discussion though. Was a great night. Saw a few others, like the goblin mode man with the woman dressed up next to our table, glance a few times. She in a nice dress, he in jeans and a crappy shirt.
rockpup

Post by rockpup »

I've got one. Been a bit hectic so I've only worn it out once so far but it seems decent. The pockets are nice.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I have the black one and like it, been tempted to get the blue one while they're on sale/closeout. Not 100% sure about the color though, things always look different than the photo.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:01 pm I have the black one and like it, been tempted to get the blue one while they're on sale/closeout. Not 100% sure about the color though, things always look different than the photo.
Think they’re on close out? I wonder what their actual sales were and if they could differentiate male versus female.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

As I think we may be sure Adidas is not on the verge of going bust, "closeout" doesn't bode well.
Whether this skirt was bought by men , woman or aliens is not really relevant.
It looks more like the sales did not meet Adidas expectations so the question is, "Will they try again"?
Personally, I'd not bet money on the answer, too close to call.
Sorry, but I have not helped because I have just bought a scarlet "3 stripe" tee shirt dress from the other side for £12.
Time will tell as to how they proceed but don't be dismayed if they drop the unisex angle.
Just take a wee expedition into the forbidden zone, great savings may be made there too.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I wouldn't dismiss it so easily.

Most of the "Adicolor Contempo" products are on discount. Interestingly enough, the black version of the "Dress Shirt" - essentially a dress - is not on sale. Both the black dress and black skirt are listed as "best sellers".

One other thing... their "Adicolor" line really feels like a limited-edition style product line. It's quite possible they will sell out and not have a continuing production of the garments. On one of the sold out products:
Unfortunately this item is sold out. Be the first to hear about future releases by signing up to our newsletter.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:53 am Both the black dress and black skirt are listed as "best sellers".
I’m always a bit suspicious of “best seller” designations. I hope they did sell well and that many guys are experiencing what we know. I really like it. It has pockets and enough of a similarity to a kilt that it’s “allowable”
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Closeout might have been too strong a word, but I noticed they are marked down. It is that time of year when companies are transitioning stock and it costs money to hang on to underperforming SKU's. Or they're just making room for new products. I hope it was at least popular enough that they keep the trend going.

Some of the shirt-like dresses on their site are almost something I could see myself trying, they look comfortable to hang around in.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I did buy one some time ago, I did not wear it that much but it is a pretty nice skirt. I feel it is a good starting point for any man willing to try on a skirt:
- the hemline is close to the shorts
- fabric is soft but yet similar to what men are used to find in the shelves (I'm pretty confident that it will survive a few welcomes from my brother's dog)
- plain color and not flashy
- the look recall a bit of kilts (even if it's not)

I did not wear it that much 'cause I'm alterating it (added zips to the pockets and currently replacing the fastenings with velcro (*), hand sewing in the trains because I live in a being renovated house), here's my insights as a non-professional sewer:
- I didn't catch any (real) defect in the sewing
- there are visual imperfections at strategic points of the sewing (https://snipboard.io/ncUH28.jpg, https://snipboard.io/j5YszM.jpg) and eventually with fabric threads (https://snipboard.io/xk27gB.jpg)
- the fastenings placement is very good and they probably won't go anywhere until the textile itself is so damaged that you couldn't repair it anymore (https://snipboard.io/unKphy.jpg, https://snipboard.io/kZlbGV.jpg)
- but see (*) for the fastenings
Taking all this in consideration (as well as the industrial fabrication), I would say that the overal quality of the skirt is aligned with its price. I did pay ~50€ to get it at the time I got it, and this price seems fair to me.

I thought it would be nice from me to share this with you, especially if you're hesitant getting one because the price may seem "high". If you're afraid getting a badly made garment, you can be reassured it is a safe choice :)

(*) One of the fastenings doesn't stay in place and I end up having the skirt holding with only one of them. This doesn't make me feel confident about wearing it outside, hence the replacement I'm currently operating with velcro. But also I have taken some fat I want to lose and when I'll succeed, the skirt will be too large for me
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:58 pm Closeout might have been too strong a word, but I noticed they are marked down. It is that time of year when companies are transitioning stock and it costs money to hang on to underperforming SKU's. Or they're just making room for new products. I hope it was at least popular enough that they keep the trend going.

Some of the shirt-like dresses on their site are almost something I could see myself trying, they look comfortable to hang around in.
Guess time will tell. If there’s a unisex skirt part deux, then I guess it sold well or at least well enough…

There’s something simplistic about the thought of having a garment that is one piece, easy to put on, comfortable and durable. If only the world could create one…
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

ScotL wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:05 am

There’s something simplistic about the thought of having a garment that is one piece, easy to put on, comfortable and durable. If only the world could create one…
There is such a garment and I wear one every day. It’s called a dress.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

ScotL wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:05 am There’s something simplistic about the thought of having a garment that is one piece, easy to put on, comfortable and durable. If only the world could create one…
I sometimes think that I'm just going to have to take up dressmaking...