The Telegraph: ‘Sequinned jackets are fine for the office – but I draw the line at men wearing shorts’

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

The Telegraph: ‘Sequinned jackets are fine for the office – but I draw the line at men wearing shorts’

Post by Coder »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education-a ... ng-shorts/

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... -shorts%2F
And the big question: What about men in shorts?

There is a shocked pause. “Oh my lord.” Vardags starts laughing. “You really have thrown me a curve ball. Now that I’ve given this new liberal, ‘be yourself’ dress code, the men are going to be turning up in shorts. That’s a bit of a shocker.”

The woman who’s banned comfy knitwear and extolled the virtues of pink hair ponders for a moment about bare male knees in the office. And unfortunately, her final judgment will not delight the men who spend summer perspiring in their office suits.

“Insufficient gravitas. Not appropriate.”
Now, how do we get in touch with her male employees during the summer and extort them to show up in skirts?

Although, to be fair, were a man to show up in a Thom Browne skirt suit, he likely would be allowed because of the fancy price tag.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: The Telegraph: ‘Sequinned jackets are fine for the office – but I draw the line at men wearing shorts’

Post by ScotL »

This would be a wonderful thing for the men to do. But I think this just goes to show that she needs to fully realize the duplicity of her statements and learn.

I can forgive her for being shocked that men might show up in shorts. And I can forgive her if her initial retort is to say no, not appropriate. But I could not forgive her if her duplicity was pointed out to her and she still disagreed.

It would remind me of when you know you just will never be able to debate and discuss with someone. When their duplicity gets pointed out and their response is to say something like “just because!,” you walk away.

For these people, their preconceived notions are not interested in reality. They cannot be reasoned with because they are sure they are correct, especially when they are wrong.

I do not know her, so I will not suggest she is one of these people. But one can hope her duplicity will be pointed out to her and she will learn and grow. If not, walk away.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Telegraph: ‘Sequinned jackets are fine for the office – but I draw the line at men wearing shorts’

Post by STEVIE »

"She" is the boss, as in "She, who Must be Obeyed".
Ayesha Vardag, the first name would appear to be appropriate so her decree is final and absolute.
Whether she'd deign to allow a high end manskirt or even a Kilt at a pinch is moot.
I'd guess that if it improved the margins she'd allow her male employees to sport posing pouches and gimp masks.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:12 pm "She" is the boss, as in "She, who Must be Obeyed".
I mean - you do have a point even if you are being sarcastic. I am not for forcing employers to bend to the will of the employee... but there also should be equality. I wonder how she would feel about women wearing shorts (or at what point a pair of short pants would not be appropriate on women).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:36 pm I am not for forcing employers to bend to the will of the employee... but there also should be equality.
My very own has a unilateral ban on shorts which, to be fair, was tactfully and unofficially ignored last summer.
It is still there in the "code" though.
On first sight it appears fine as it applies to males and females equally but there is a "catch". The women and me are allowed skirts and dresses bare legged.
In effect, banning males of any shade having bared legs unless they follow my lead. Clear discrimination in my view which no one has yet challenged and I realistically, cannot.
As for Ms Vardag, I have an impression of her being very strong willed and single minded. I would not be in a huge rush to take any liberties if she were my boss.
As for the "quote", the club will dispense all manner of expensively intoxicating beverages, hmmm?
Steve.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

And the big question: What about men in shorts?

“Insufficient gravitas. Not appropriate.”
Screw this ignorant person and her double-standard body-shaming of men's legs. This is why there's a whole generation of young men who are apprehensive about wearing "shorts" that don't go down to their calves. :x
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:26 pmScrew this ignorant person and her double-standard body-shaming of men's legs.
Why waste good hardware? Simply ignore the idiot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:04 pm
FLbreezy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:26 pmScrew this ignorant person and her double-standard body-shaming of men's legs.
Why waste good hardware? Simply ignore the idiot.
True. I just kind of laughed at the comment, and found the whole double-standard comical.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:28 pmI just kind of laughed at the comment, and found the whole double-standard comical.
Double standards tend to be somewhat comical until you find yourself on the "receiving end" of one -- then the situation changes. Generally speaking, they are rather pernicious things and really should go the way of the dodo.

Speaking of dodos, from last night's news it seems like some enterprising batch of scientists are trying to resurrect the dodo, in a Jurassic Park-like move, from recovered DNA. The closed captions were turned off on the "tube" (How many of the younger set know why televisions are called "tubes"?) so I obviously didn't get anything but the headline, but this might be interesting.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:00 pm
Coder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:28 pmI just kind of laughed at the comment, and found the whole double-standard comical.
Double standards tend to be somewhat comical until you find yourself on the "receiving end" of one -- then the situation changes. Generally speaking, they are rather pernicious things and really should go the way of the dodo.

Speaking of dodos, from last night's news it seems like some enterprising batch of scientists are trying to resurrect the dodo, in a Jurassic Park-like move, from recovered DNA. The closed captions were turned off on the "tube" (How many of the younger set know why televisions are called "tubes"?) so I obviously didn't get anything but the headline, but this might be interesting.
If they succeed, then that particular euphemism will be... extinct.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

crfriend wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:00 pm
Indeed. Tell a woman her skirt is too short and be prepared for the wave of outrage. Tell a man you think his knees shouldn't be see in public? *crickets*
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:48 pm Indeed. Tell a woman her skirt is too short and be prepared for the wave of outrage. Tell a man you think his knees shouldn't be see in public? *crickets*
But everyone knows men's knees lack gravitas :wink:.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Coder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:54 pm But everyone knows men's knees lack gravitas :wink:.
I blame the missing bits of the Y-chromosome.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

My daughter tells me that body shaming is a big thing among the girls "You can't say that it's body shaming!" Although apparently guys under 6" these days are considered short and will not be getting a girlfriend.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:57 pm My daughter tells me that body shaming is a big thing among the girls "You can't say that it's body shaming!" Although apparently guys under 6" these days are considered short and will not be getting a girlfriend.
I do have to say, someone that short is going to have a lot of problems, least of which would be finding a mate. They’d have their pick of action heroes, though :lol:.

(sorry, couldn’t resist)