Dr Who/skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Dr Who/skirts

Post by crfriend »

Epiceneguy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:31 pmI'm genuinely shocked that there's someone out there who hasn't seen a single episode of Doctor Who 😱
As am I. That's been available on PBS in the US for decades, and I spent many happy evening watching Jon Pertwee's, Tom Baker's, and Peter Davidson's Doctors on the telly. Hartnell and Troughton were a bit early for me, but I sparked early enough to see Pertwee in action -- and that may have sparked some of my interest in clothes.

I fell away from the series after that due to a maelstrom of other issues that were constantly swirling around me so cannot comment on the recent programme. However, the comment on PC stands. If the writers and producers are overlaying that on the series, it's a great injustice to the various Doctors who went before, some of whom were remarkably irreverent.

Favourite scenes include the one where Baker put his hat on a Dalek's eye and another comment of, "Masters of the universe and you can't even climb a flight of stairs!" I've not seen the very first episode with Hartnell, but have read the dialogue snippets when he first arrived on Earth and some officious individual was taking down his name, missed it originally, and said, "Doctor who?" to which Hartnell's Doctor replied, "Precisely."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Epiceneguy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:31 pm I'm genuinely shocked that there's someone out there who hasn't seen a single episode of Doctor Who 😱
Agreed! Heck, even before I knew what it was we'd occasionally flip past it at my grandma's house (they had cable) going through the channels - if I lingered too long I'd get a (mild) rebuke from a parent "turn that junk off" - as I got older it became "why do you watch that stuff" :lol:.

I should clarify: while we had broadcast TV - which included PBS - I was never watching TV when/if Dr Who was broadcast in my area. Additionally, reception at our house was terrible at times, making any TV watching unbearable.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Epiceneguy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:31 pm I'm genuinely shocked that there's someone out there who hasn't seen a single episode of Doctor Who 😱
Who?
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:19 pm
ScotL wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:19 pmAnd yet the “speculative fiction” of the Dr Who series (I confess, I’ve never seen it)
that to you both is a “soapbox for the latest bit of political correctness” has provoked
thoughts in you and basically hijacked this thread of men wearing skirts/dresses.
You're so far out of left field, you're not even in the parking lot of the ball park.
IF you have never seen an episode of 'Dr. Who?', on what grounds are you able
to comment :?: Neither Carl NOR I have "hijacked this thread". I was agreeing with
Carl's comment. Threads evolve and come back to the original concept.

The old adage of "Think before you speak" or on any written forum "Think before you write",
holds true at Skirt Cafe'. Your biting comments clearly show that you "can't see the forest for the trees".

Now, don't try to get all pompas on your soapbox, as at 72 years of age(as of tomorrow),
I have MANY experiences that have shaped, and guided my life. You'll never know what
I have seen, or been through.

Fiction writing is speculative, especially Sy-Fy. It is many "What-If's" that make up a story.
The "What-If's" are woven into a plot, creating a story which may be enjoyed by many people.
I'm a big fan of authors like Heinlein, Asimov, Del-Rey, Card and Clarke to name a few.

OK, so what has this got to do with men wearing skirts :?:
Not much except that they(Sy-Fy writers) have written several stories which included men in skirts,
and most of these writings are 70+ years old. The 'Dr. Who' series has shown several episodes which
included men in skirts.

Gene Roddenberry wrote stories based, many times, on political themes of the '60s.
So, yes, current themes have been 'transposed/transported' into fictional future times.

Again - Carl nor I have not 'hijacked this thread.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Wow. All I can say is wow.

The written word does not supply context. You have taken this that I am upset with you or Carl and have accused me of blaming you for hijacking a thread? Wow.

I think I’ve been clear that I don’t think “hijacking” a thread is necessarily a bad thing. To me it’s the natural ebb and flow of conversation. To be so rigid as to demand we restrict the wandering tomes of each thread’s conversations into defined boxes to me is overly constricting. Not to mention this is fraught with concerns over who rules over decisions of what stays in and out of the lines associated with each thread.

I thought I was simply trying to show that Carl suggested that shows should be thought provoking and not soapbox lectures but yet the shows Carl took issue with did provoke thoughts in him based on the soapbox lectures. Not thoughts he wanted but in my opinion, the writers successfully achieved provoking thoughts in his head.

That was my point.

If you took this as biting commentary or that I was blaming you and Carl for hijacking a thread, that was not my intention. I am sorry you interpreted it that way.

But from one who has asked me to think before I write and not be so biting in my commentary, could I not say the same about your comments? You accuse me of being myopic. Of being pompas (I think you meant pompous but will ask you to clarify). That I can’t see the forest for the trees.

I have no interest in creating a row.

Both in public postings and the private messaging you have shown you dislike me. I am not sure why or what I did to you. But I think it best you and I just halt conversing with each other.

I sincerely wish you well in all of your future endeavors.

And Happy Birthday.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:06 pm
Agreed! Heck, even before I knew what it was we'd occasionally flip past it at my grandma's house (they had cable) going through the channels - if I lingered too long I'd get a (mild) rebuke from a parent "turn that junk off" - as I got older it became "why do you watch that stuff" :lol:.

I should clarify: while we had broadcast TV - which included PBS - I was never watching TV when/if Dr Who was broadcast in my area. Additionally, reception at our house was terrible at times, making any TV watching unbearable.
I’ve heard a lot about it and always wanted to see it but I’ve always been an outdoors guy playing sports or camping/hiking/fishing that TV just wasn’t my thing. Even now as my sports playing days may reluctantly be over. Someday, I’ll watch one.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

The "original" Dr Who series was a fun romp in silliness - it was this strange quirky immortal alien, not quite connecting with the humans, saving the world from costumed enemies, often running down halls or around gravel pits... there was a pointed theme at times - a moral in the story almost - but it was an afterthought. When they rebooted the series with Eccleson, it had a much darker feeling. The stories took on an SJW vibe - it wasn't just about fighting the Daleks, but rising up against all manor of injustices (even ones that don't exist or are so insignificant calling attention to them gives them more credit). At times episodes seemed purposely written to evoke shame/guilt in people for having "bad" thoughts. It threw political statements into the mix. The episodes treated the viewer like they are a child.

I stopped watching during the Capaldi era - some of the previous seasons had interesting Doctors but the storylines were getting worse and worse. Moffat had a lot of promise, but ultimately I think even he had some awful episodes. They tried to write these season-long story arcs along with single or multi-episode stories (the original did this as well) but most came off feeling cheap. The earlier Dr Who had him battling aliens in rubber suits. You could tell it was fake but it felt authentic. The new Who introduced cr*ppy special effects, power-ranger style bad guys (although, yeah, the old who had those as well) and what else? Daleks that could float - now that made logical sense but ruined jokes they could make about stairways.

My point is - while the old Who had it's messages, it was mostly about running down hallways. It was a fun escape from the world, and not a painful reminder that there are bad people out there in the real world who hate other people.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

Not being a major fan of sci-fi (with the exception of Star Trek - both the original and Next Generation versions) - in all honesty, for me the best thing about Dr Who was the theme tune
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:54 amI thought I was simply trying to show that Carl suggested that shows should be thought provoking and not soapbox lectures but yet the shows Carl took issue with did provoke thoughts in him based on the soapbox lectures. Not thoughts he wanted but in my opinion, the writers successfully achieved provoking thoughts in his head.
Actually, there wasn't much thought involved -- more like a knee-jerk reaction when the S/N ratio falls below a certain point. Just as I am advertising-hostile and will change the channel if it gets obnoxious, I am also PC-hostile but to a much higher degree. "Advertising" (and spam) is merely pollution in the environment; PC represents a very deliberate poisoning of that environment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Epiceneguy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:31 pm
I'm genuinely shocked that there's someone out there who hasn't seen a single episode of Doctor Who 😱
And not even the ones written by Douglas Adams, the great galactic hitchhiker himself :-(
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:49 pm
ScotL wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:54 amI thought I was simply trying to show that Carl suggested that shows should be thought provoking and not soapbox lectures but yet the shows Carl took issue with did provoke thoughts in him based on the soapbox lectures. Not thoughts he wanted but in my opinion, the writers successfully achieved provoking thoughts in his head.
Actually, there wasn't much thought involved -- more like a knee-jerk reaction when the S/N ratio falls below a certain point. Just as I am advertising-hostile and will change the channel if it gets obnoxious, I am also PC-hostile but to a much higher degree. "Advertising" (and spam) is merely pollution in the environment; PC represents a very deliberate poisoning of that environment.
Sure. But stating “there wasn’t much thought involved” still represents some thought. And we’re still discussing this. A friend of mine who’s a psychologist interested in marketing knows this stuff. And by the very fact that you acknowledge the existence of soap boxes or PC slanted material, they’ve done their job. It’s evil and crazy but it’s been happening forever. In fact, the most coercive ads are the ones that you’ve seen but forgot about. Seems nuts, but when you think you’re making a selection because “you know”, it’s often your subconscious remembering some commercial. But you stand proud that you weren’t influenced and the marketers giggle all the way to the bank. And before I get accused of typing without thinking or whatever, “you” in my writing is a general you. I am absolutely not attacking you. This is a general trend that happens to every “you” who ever sees an ad.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

ScotL wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:00 am
crfriend wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:49 pm
Sure. But stating “there wasn’t much thought involved” still represents some thought. And we’re still discussing this. A friend of mine who’s a psychologist interested in marketing knows this stuff. And by the very fact that you acknowledge the existence of soap boxes or PC slanted material, they’ve done their job. It’s evil and crazy but it’s been happening forever. In fact, the most coercive ads are the ones that you’ve seen but forgot about. Seems nuts, but when you think you’re making a selection because “you know”, it’s often your subconscious remembering some commercial. But you stand proud that you weren’t influenced and the marketers giggle all the way to the bank. And before I get accused of typing without thinking or whatever, “you” in my writing is a general you. I am absolutely not attacking you. This is a general trend that happens to every “you” who ever sees an ad.
We might be talking about it, but it seems few if any here have been watching the recent series, and are probably advising people not to bother. That seems to me to be a negative result for the writers and producers. Surely they want more viewers, not less.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

One of my favorite "Doctors" was played by David Tennant. He was let out
of his contract, or it expired, and 'regenerated' into a different Doctor.
The producers of the show, found out how much the fans disliked the 'new'
Doctor, and have brought David Tennant back to the series. In my minds
eye, David Tennant has been one of the best Doctors of the series :D
(He is a fine Scottish actor, and portrayed a very devious character in
the Harry Potter movie franchise :D )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:26 pm One of my favorite "Doctors" was played by David Tennant.
Agreed. David Tennant was the best. Combined with some awesome script writing that suited his personality. Made him into the best Doctor ever.

I think Jodie Whittaker could have been really good if they'd had a decent script writer that actually wrote to her strengths. Instead we got lousy stories that focussed on all the wrong things. Pity.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I have watched Dr Who from the very first episode, and was very young when the daleks first appeared and yes - I did hide behind the sofa. Tom Baker was the best of the old Doctors and David Tennant was the first of the new set of Doctors. I think Peter Capaldi could have outshone David Tennant but wasn't around long enough to show us the range of his skills. The problem with the more recent scripts is not being woke - it is that they are incomprehensible drivel. No matter how hard you concentrate you have no ide what that was about. Another problem is that the producers can't leave anything alone. The Tardis gets so many makeovers of its interiors you could feature it in a homes programme. The first theme used in the new set-up was outstanding - but they had to fix it and subsequent arrangements have been lacklustre compared with this. My favourite episode ever is the one featuring Van Gogh. As for the issue of skirts - there is along tradition of aliens wearing robes - no big deal. Even if you put the male aliens in actual skirts it is merely a device of creating differences between humans and aliens. Putting a male human actor in a skirt is much cheaper than prosthetic ears or extra arms for creating an illusion that they are different from humans. Rather than helping us it suggests that if you want to wear a skirt as a male you might think about emigrating to another planet.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:16 pm I have watched Dr Who from the very first episode, and was very young when the daleks first appeared and yes - I did hide behind the sofa.
I certainly hid behind the sofa for my first Dr Who experience, which was The Web of Fear (1968).
rivegauche wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:16 pmTom Baker was the best of the old Doctors
Yes, though I was quite a fan of Jon Pertwee.
rivegauche wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:16 pm David Tennant was the first of the new set of Doctors.
Did you blink and miss Christopher Eccleston? He didn't last long, but he gave the character the undertone of existential angst which has surfaced peiodically ever since.