Kilt length - advice requested

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Tazzmac

Re: Kilt length - advice requested

Post by Tazzmac »

ImageMan Skirt by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr amd

Imagea4ff241a48135829f89abf838d4d5efb by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr..

Which of these two kilt pictures courtesy of Piniterest looks right if either do .. The young wearers in relation to tartan style kilts/skirts is more suitable I guess whereas anyone old it would look ridiculous this far above the knee. For my traditional wool kilts I wear them just at the top of the knee but with my cotton blend or khaki it's more like the scout length , just a tiny bit longer..For me the Sportkilt brand wearer (I think it's one anwyay) it's too short for me .. Cheers..
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:hmmm:
IMHO, BOTH are too short, almost being indecent :!:
The black sporan, in the top picture, hangs almost as low
as the hem of "the (mini) kilt".

The young lad could get away with wearing a kilt - that short, but,
under normal circumstances, that kilt would/could be considered "bait".

Beware of what you're 'fishing' for, you might hook an old tire instead of a trout. :oops:

Again, just my $.02 worth.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I would say that a kilt or skirt can be worn to the same length as shorts, taking into account age and height.

So the boy in the second picture (I'm pretty sure it's photoshopped) is wearing a kilt at a length reasonable for shorts at his age, so no problem.
The first picture shows a kilt worn by an adult at a length which, at least in my experience, would be regarded as deliberately edgy.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

Thanks guys... Yes , the young bloke with the scout gear is probably wearing a skirt but it actually looks good . Lots of guys wearing a leather kilt much prefer a much shorter than usual length ...In most pictures of teenagers or not much more particularly with kilts , they do wear them a little shorter . . I'm much older of course but I like a kilt around 22 " so it's clear of the knee ...As for some 26" ...Nup .. The other photo is way more provocative in my opinion and I think another inch or two would look better ..
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Did you all look at that short kilt worn by a guy (guy or gal ?) and observe the painted finger nails and the smooth structured legs and the footwear ?
That kilt is made by Sportkilt (https://sportkilt.com/) With micro mini kilts to full regulation length kilts.
Females can easily pass wearing this length of kilt.
I have a few such kilts (not micro-mini but the next hem length longer 14 ") I wear with winter leg wear when the weather is nasty.
It should be noted that everything beneath the kilt is covered - no raw exposure.
My skirted/kilted wear is year around.
In the retirement home I reside there are few eye rolls and some winks of the eye about this non-standard senior attire.
I am not going quietly and worrying about what others think.
One male resident questioned me about why I wear a skirt - reply "Because I can" !
And one lady made a comment which she took back right away - reply to that "Can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen - there is no
dress code or violation here - - - "
And candidly I told some folks that I am a lot like a few of you with medical incontinent issues and (diaper) changing is one hell of lot easier to
do wearing a skirt/kilt unbifurcated clothing.
So there - - - I made my position on what works for me - embarrassment - nothing to write home about here.

Granted hem length can be a concerning matter when tooo short is tooo short for everyday public viewing.
I have regulation formal kilt wear PC jacket and all those accessories for the times when necessary.
For the other times casual skirted/kilted wear breaking mid thigh is my preference.
How one - stands - sits - reaches - bends over (amend that to squats) makes a difference in the potential exposure index.

Closing - Set your kilt hem length - tweeking that rule book to your own personal comfort situation.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:04 am
And candidly I told some folks that I am a lot like a few of you with medical incontinent issues and (diaper) changing is one hell of lot easier to
My father would benefit from a utility kilt, but he would probably rather carry on struggling with his trousers even if it causes cardiac arrest...
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

GerdG wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:33 am
familyman34 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:52 pm
What length should I aim for? Should I try to make them all the same length?

I generally like my other skirts to come 2 or 3 inches above my knees, and have shortened at least half of them from what they were initially. When I get skirts from charity shops, I often have to take in the waist too, on one occasion by 4 inches!
To purists a kilt that short shall be disgusting, but if you can wear a short skirt you can also wear a short tartan skirt or kilted skirt or kilt, of course.

I won't say that I wear these minis often, but when I feel like it, I do.
I love your style. I am a 6′ 4″ tall male and rock my short tartan kilts! The 18 inch length are perfect for Hash House Harrier events, hiking, running and even stopping in the pub. They are light and comfortable to wear and looks great. I am constantly getting compliments from everyone especially the women. I never got these compliments in shorts.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:04 am

So there - - - I made my position on what works for me - embarrassment - nothing to write home about here.

Granted hem length can be a concerning matter when tooo short is tooo short for everyday public viewing.
I have regulation formal kilt wear PC jacket and all those accessories for the times when necessary.
For the other times casual skirted/kilted wear breaking mid thigh is my preference.

How one - stands - sits - reaches - bends over (amend that to squats) makes a difference in the potential exposure index.

Closing - Set your kilt hem length - tweeking that rule book to your own personal comfort situation.
I tend to wear my kilts in the 18 inch length with some being slightly longer as it makes changing much easier. I happen to share the same medical incontinence issue as you. Good on you for being so forward.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

This is one of my favourites...I love wearing this kilt ..It's 50 centimetres waist to hem..
IMG_20240103_062039.jpg
On holidays and met up with a fellow workmate yesterday and close friend who has her 47th birthday recently . Ive been battling some personal mental health issues lately and during the course of the conversation she asked me what makes me happy ..Without thinking I said .."Kilts" . She was surprised but delighted .. Last night I took a few photos like this and sent them to her..The leather kilt (naughtily short 46 cm waist to hem) really tickled her..
The one in the photo got the reply ... "Gee , that looks great on you " . while the leather one got " Ooh It wouldn't be a hard secret as to what's under it eh"
For an older 63 y.o. like me it was a great reaction ... cheers....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

IMG_20240103_075044 (1).jpg
..This is what tickled Ann (my friend and workmate) re previous post .. I bought this brand new from Pakistan three years ago ..It's a skirt to be totally correct as it doesn't open up like a normal kilt ... It really is a bit cheeky and doesn't leave lots to the imagination as she quite rightly said...Her comments really did put a smile on my face after some recent mental health battles ...Cheers..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Tazzmac wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:22 pm IMG_20240103_075044 (1).jpg ..This is what tickled Ann (my friend and workmate) re previous post .. I bought this brand new from Pakistan three years ago ..It's a skirt to be totally correct as it doesn't open up like a normal kilt ... It really is a bit cheeky and doesn't leave lots to the imagination as she quite rightly said...Her comments really did put a smile on my face after some recent mental health battles ...Cheers..
Yea to those Pakistan skirts/kilts whatever nomenclature you want to attach.
Aside from getting the size down to 'right-on' the pricing is a tenth of the shipping/postage charges (shipper DHL)
You can accessorize your skirted kilt just about any which way with belts straps pockets fancy silver detailing and
of course the Pleats - separate (fly-away pleating roman gladiator style) - overlapping - knife and box.
The leather used is not that faux pleather stuff - real soft unlike the heavy cowhide material but don't over stress
the material
Just remember to get the sizing 'right-on' and agreed to. Mistakes made they just make another kilt but the
shipping/postage charges are all on your dime. Note returning a defective kilt is usually not possible they
don't want the hassle of paying the import fees/taxes - they tell you to charity keep sell it - no send back !
Time to make a kilt can be as soon as 1 or more days depending on detailing and the shipping also depending on
the method 2 days to more than a couple of weeks.
One thing to note is that your kilt made to order with all the bells/belts buzzers straps detailing is often used
as a model for future kilts - sure wished could get royalty payments for the design.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

I really like it...so did Ann...I think because it's different is the main reason...I'll be honest when I put it on just with a belt it just makes me feel a bit Racey and I'm not really... Wasn't expensive either and arrived quicker than I expected.At some stage in the future I'll buy another one.. whether it's a cheap one or a bit more up market... cheers..
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

G'day again ... On a roll ...I tried my hand modifying a pre owned mini kilt yesterday ..I also mentioned it in another thread but wanted to add a photo here given the length is a key .

Would only be about 18 " in a pinch but once I moved a logo so it could still be seen and swapped over the kilt straps from the left to the right and took them back a smidge on the buckle side I think it'll work as a hot weather skirt kilt that ll be fun to wear..The next shortest one I have is 21 " ..
[attachment=0]IMG_20240108_153713 -

Please note I used a long mirror for photo so alterations are in reverse of course .. cheers..
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Piper's kilt hose have stayed up for me, like this: https://i.pinimg.com/474x/b8/80/41/b880 ... c50179.jpg

binx
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I for one love the 18 inch length kilt, it seems perfect me especially for running and hiking.